Author Topic: Front shocks TCS  (Read 393 times)

Offline kram350kram

Front shocks TCS
« on: Tuesday,May 16, 2023, 03:00:13 PM »
Anyone know or could measure the distance of their front shocks, center eye to top of the shock body and center of top mount to center bottom mount with the suspension loaded ?  Are the stock Europa lower control arms parallel to the ground?  Seems GAZ shocks have a very short stroke about an 1" , so they bottom out. Ride height at the fenders is 22" with 175 -13 tire. Thanks for an info.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Front shocks TCS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,May 16, 2023, 11:01:49 PM »
Hi,
I've attached several images which may or may not solve your problem  ;)

But let's get the easy one done first, the lower front wishbones aren't parallel to the ground but the line between the outer and inner bolts (trunnion/chassis) should be roughly horizontal.

Ok, the other stuff. The first is a copy of what Spyder used to do for their suspension reports which shows front and rear suspensions and this gives some numbers. I don't know for certain if this refers to original equipment or their modified suspension, but it will give you some idea of what they use.

The second is something I've posted before but can't find at the moment, a road test comparison between the S2 & TC (TCS should be the same) which shows dimensions for bumper height in standard form. You might be lower than this but you'll get an idea of exactly where you are against the OEM suspension.

The third is what I took from my Protech dampers in 2015 when I installed them. Initially I fitted them with the lower platform at the bottom of the damper and that looked great but not so good to drive and I raised them slightly during the first few days. They didn't bottom out on the damper stroke but the car had a lot of front/rear rake and I wanted to get it more in line with the original set-up.

I took some measurements in 2016 when I'd finally settled on the spring rates (250F, 160R) which gives you some idea of suspension movement with Protech dampers.

Finally, your ride height sounds low. My car has 195/50x15 which isn't too far away from 175/70x13  but I have 23" at the front fender. This is a bit vague and personally I'd take numbers from the chassis as a better comparison. The final image is a copy of one of my early measurements. Ignore the tracking as this was the early days and I was changing stuff around but this is the only sheet I can find which has all the ride height dimensions that I settled on in one place. (I'm lazy on completing my own forms....)

Brian

edit to add - I measure my bumper height to the point which is furthest forward/rearward on the bumper. Also my suspension is modified with 195/50x15 F, 205/50x15 R wheels.
« Last Edit: Tuesday,May 16, 2023, 11:09:36 PM by EuropaTC »

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,May 17, 2023, 05:01:11 PM »
Thanks for the info. Just what I was looking for!

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,May 17, 2023, 05:44:15 PM »
TC- These GAZ shocks have an internal stop which limit the total compression stroke. Took them apart and machined the main shaft 1" shorter. Now have a 2" stroke and will have slightly more when I raise the nose some to give me the lower control arm stance as per the manual. Probably end up with 22-1/4" or so on the fender height.  Thanks for the help.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,May 17, 2023, 10:29:17 PM »
Hmm, I didn't know those dampers had internal stops, that could be a nuisance if you didn't appreciate the fact before buying.  A 2" stroke sounds much better and should give you plenty of travel.

I don't know what my initial fender measurement was, only that it looked great (like the S1) but didn't feel right on our roads. I put that down to the higher rear ride height and ended up raising the front & lowering the rear until I felt more comfortable with it. No doubt the whole set up could go lower, but we have too many pot holes in Lincolnshire !

As further trivia, the first owner of my car was a real enthusiast/geek and took wheel arch measurements from '72 up to '84 which may interest you.  His readings varied between 24" to 24.375" at the front with 175/70x13 and 21" to 22.5" (after refreshing springs) at the rear with the same 175/70x13 tyres on the rear.

Brian

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,May 18, 2023, 07:02:54 PM »
Boy 24" in the front with 22 " or so in the rear would give an odd stance? Thanks for the measurements, good information!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #6 on: Thursday,May 18, 2023, 10:25:01 PM »
I can't say much about the early measurements, they came in a notebook I got with the car and sadly the original owner had died a couple of years before his widow sold the car to me.

It's not unreasonable, the F/R arches aren't identical (see pic) and even if they were then you've got Lotus bodywork to contend with.

That's why I prefer numbers taken from the chassis even if it is a pain to grovel underneath with some outside calipers to get the front crossmember clearance. The suspension hangs from the chassis and you set it up from that platform, the bodywork is just there to keep you warm and dry.  Or maybe not...   this is a Lotus after all....   ;)