Author Topic: Cable shifter?  (Read 503 times)

Offline TurboFource

Cable shifter?
« on: Friday,October 07, 2022, 05:53:40 AM »
The stock shifter tube mechanism weighs over 9lbs....which seems crazy to me. Considering a cable shifter....
Who is running one? Is it better? What did you use?

Thanks!!
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline SwiftDB4

Re: Cable shifter?
« Reply #1 on: Friday,October 07, 2022, 08:23:02 AM »
Do you have a TC with the u joints? I can't imagine my S1 shift linkage weighs 9 lbs.
Even when I did a Zetec transplant I modified and kept the rod linkage. Crisp and accurate shifting.
My Superformance GT40 has a cable shifter, but I don't like it as much.
« Last Edit: Friday,October 07, 2022, 08:26:35 AM by SwiftDB4 »

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #2 on: Friday,October 07, 2022, 09:01:10 AM »
I have my TCS shifter out of the car and had to move it around a few times and it is heavy so I believe you when you say it weighs nine pounds. With years of ownership one gets use to the clunkyness of shifting TCs and work around it. I have two other mid-engine cars with cable shifters and the improvement in feel is pretty dramatic although it's hard to say if precision of shifting is any better with the cable operated system. I occasionally hit the wrong gear downshifting in the Elise. I may need to optimize the adjustment of the cables for improvement. That being said I have Dave Lindemanns Toyota based cable shifter plans that I plan on using on my TCS. As far as know, none of the Lotus parts suppliers offer cable shifter so you have to fab up your own. Here are some versions other owners have come up with:

https://groups.io/g/LotusEuropa/files/Cable%20Shifter

https://groups.io/g/LotusEuropa/files/Cable%20shifter%20%28using%20MR2%20parts%29/Shifter.pdf

https://groups.io/g/LotusEuropa/files/NG3%20Cable%20Shift

http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/files/cable_shifter/Page1n2.htm

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #3 on: Friday,October 07, 2022, 09:22:38 AM »
Yes, Twin Cam, I weighed it ...9.3lbs ...

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Friday,October 07, 2022, 10:14:16 AM »
I don't have a cable shift setup. I have the S2 type linkage that Richard (at Banks Service Station) provided with my NG3. I've considered converting but I really don't have a problem with what I have. Other than SwiftDB4, I don't think I've heard anything negative about them. That could be because of the particular design of SwiftDB4 or the fact that the owner had put a lot of work into it and wanted to believe his work was justified or they really are much better. Don't misunderstand - I am not down on them. I don't really have an opinion other than I think they're cleaver and in some cars, it probably makes more sense because they are easier to route than a rigid shift linkage.

I scanned Grumblebun's links and the last one suggested using Morse cables. They are pretty easy to get at boat shops but in my experience Cablecraft (https://cablecraft.com/home/control-cables/cablecraft-motion-control-cables-overview/cables/push-pull-control-cables/) makes much better push-pull cables. When I was racing a lot of guys used Morse cables for adjustable anti-roll bars or throttle linkage. Carroll Smith in Prepare to Win recommended Cablecraft cables so I got one for the throttle cable of my race car. I liked it so much (it seemed more solid than the usual accelerator cable but maybe I was justifying my purchase!), when I built my Europa, I replaced both the throttle and clutch cables with Cablecraft cables. They are much more flexible, can make much tighter bends, and they seemed much smoother than the Morse cables I checked back in the day. If you do implement a cable shift setup, I would recommend using Cablecraft cables.

Offline Kendo

« Reply #5 on: Friday,October 07, 2022, 11:04:17 AM »
Thinking sideways, has anyone reproduced the tubular shifter in aluminum, to reduce weight and inertia?

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #6 on: Friday,October 07, 2022, 11:37:36 AM »
Never having had a chance to drive my S2 I am uncertain how much aluminum would improve shifting but it is my thought as it should be fairly simple to do.
Uncertain what the weight reduction would be, the tube probably has to be a bit heavier gauge to retain rigidity.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #7 on: Friday,October 07, 2022, 11:40:00 AM »
My Superformance GT40 has a cable shifter, but I don't like it as much.
Presumably LHD with the gear knob/shifter in the middle?

Mine is RHD with the gear knob/shifter in my right hand. I think it has a solid linkage.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #8 on: Friday,October 07, 2022, 01:32:47 PM »
Aluminum is about 1/3 the weight of steel. The aluminum coolant tubes I fabricated were significantly lighter than the steel ones.

Cablecraft even has shifters on their site
« Last Edit: Friday,October 07, 2022, 01:38:52 PM by TurboFource »

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Friday,October 07, 2022, 01:53:45 PM »
Cablecraft even has shifters on their site

I'll be dipped! If you go that way, it might be worth a call to them.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #10 on: Friday,October 07, 2022, 02:11:03 PM »
It’s not hard to do.  Bit fiddly though.  I love mine.  Shifts beautifully, or, better said, as beautifully as a Renault transaxle will allow.

You have to separate the two movements.  The fore and aft would be easy.  Gate selection would require a bit more thought on a 352/365.  For ground clearance you would want any lever to point up.  Is there room?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #11 on: Friday,October 07, 2022, 02:14:10 PM »
After a cursory glance, Cablecraft ones look to be made for heavy equipment.  I used a shifter unit from a wreck Toyota Corolla.  Cheap, cheerful and easy to adapt.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #12 on: Friday,October 07, 2022, 05:18:11 PM »
Good question JB....I hope so ???

I may fabricate my own shifter with the cross gate one from an early Esprit as inspiration...

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #13 on: Friday,October 07, 2022, 06:32:01 PM »
Once you have the shifter and the tranny end sorted, the rest is easy.  Measure the shifter travel against the travel required for the transaxle and use pivoting linkage to match the two.  On mine the fore and aft were 1:1 while the side to side needed a 2-ish:1 reduction.  I made a slotted hole so I could fine tune the ratio.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #14 on: Friday,October 07, 2022, 06:41:02 PM »