Author Topic: Beware of this scammer  (Read 472 times)

Offline Grumblebuns

Beware of this scammer
« on: Tuesday,September 20, 2022, 07:18:41 AM »
A friend and fellow forum member may have been scammed by this guy "robbenfred50". I Googled the moniker and he has been busy joining other rather disparate groups this past month, apparently has a wide range of interests. His Mo is the same responding to "wanted items" on forums with this similar wording from another forum:

"I recently purchase some items from xxxxxx ,he's willing to sell some 1964 power steering pulley .You can email him at neckturtle47@gmail.com if he still have it available"

I'm suspecting this is a hit and run scam and he's long gone.

Joji Tokumoto

Offline TurboFource

Re: Beware of this scammer
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,October 04, 2022, 06:30:34 PM »
I received a PM from this person today about purchasing CD-175 carbs in response to my post looking for some….. :o
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,October 05, 2022, 05:22:58 AM »
Looks like he is still hanging around. That was the same method he used with my friend. If you have the time and curiosity, string him along and ask for pictures and details about the carbs. I believe you can Google photos to see if they've posted else where. He will also ask for payment probably by PayPal, friends and family, so no recourse available to you when he stiffs you.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,October 05, 2022, 02:20:27 PM »
Replies from him (robbenfred50)...notice email changed from gmail to aol .... and complaints all over the internet

Hello,

Do you still want to purchase some Stromberg CD-175 carb? A member of the forum @surypap3, he recently put them for sale. You can send him an email at hphorizon127@gmail.com if it's still available for sale.

Thanks

Kindly send me your email for pictures and I'm selling for $230 with shipping included.           email Hphorizon127@aol.com
« Last Edit: Wednesday,October 05, 2022, 02:38:20 PM by TurboFource »

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,October 05, 2022, 04:42:01 PM »
Looks like his MO hasn't changed. I just sent a note to Joe Irwin about this guy. What's odd is that surypap3 is a bona fide member who has posted before, unlike robbenfred50.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,October 05, 2022, 06:08:19 PM »
Joe said he’s looking into it

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #6 on: Friday,December 30, 2022, 06:23:23 AM »
This is a PSA warning to the forums. Another member was recently contacted for an item wanted posted on the classified section. Fortunately this member became suspicious when the seller couldn't some questions or produce a photo of the item and stopped replying.

Again, this person had just recently registered, had zero previous posts, and replied to the ad by PM. Be very suspicious of any reply using this MO. I would definitely ask for photos and do a Google image search of any photos sent to make sure that he didn't copy any photo off the web.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #7 on: Friday,December 30, 2022, 08:22:02 AM »
This is a PSA warning to the forums. Another member was recently contacted for an item wanted posted on the classified section. Fortunately this member became suspicious when the seller couldn't some questions or produce a photo of the item and stopped replying.

Again, this person had just recently registered, had zero previous posts, and replied to the ad by PM. Be very suspicious of any reply using this MO. I would definitely ask for photos and do a Google image search of any photos sent to make sure that he didn't copy any photo off the web.

Ask him for a photo with today's newspaper next to it. In the UK, it is all about "Pele". If he owns it, that would be no problem. I was scammed $11,000 on a Europa the vendor did not own.

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #8 on: Friday,December 30, 2022, 06:11:25 PM »
Ouch!
For large purchases it is good to find a trustworthy local to check on the item for you.
One more way forums may be a good resource.