Author Topic: Capiler bolts  (Read 235 times)

Offline Exlimey

Capiler bolts
« on: Sunday,December 12, 2021, 07:25:09 AM »
Replacing my rebuilt (not split) calipers, I cannot find torque figures for the mounting bolts, in shop manual or supplement. Found 65 ft/lbs on a spitfire/gt6 site. Is this correct. Thanks.

Offline BDA

Re: Capiler bolts
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,December 12, 2021, 08:22:29 AM »
In the absence of a specific torque spec, you should use the torque called out for that size bolt. It can be found at the end of the shop manual in the Technical Specifications section.

Note: it’s not an issue in this application since you’re bolting into cast iron but if you are bolting into aluminum and the torque is not called out, you should be much less aggressive. I did a little poking around looking for a chart or rule of thumb but didn’t find anything - which is not at all to say one doesn’t exist. I would just say they should be tightened very snuggly keeping in mind how many threads the bolt is engaging. I think for the very most part, bolting into aluminum tends to be for the purpose of sealing rather than for structural reasons so erring on the side of caution is probably best.
« Last Edit: Sunday,December 12, 2021, 08:44:02 AM by BDA »

Offline Exlimey

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,December 12, 2021, 02:35:19 PM »
Thanks BDA, I find it strange though,that the shop manual says “replacing,tighten to torque setting given in Technical Data Section”   It would be easier just to say xx ft/lbs. Naturally,the Tec Section has most torques except for the caliper bolts! Rant over.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,December 12, 2021, 03:25:09 PM »
 :FUNNY:
   I couldn’t agree more , still 50 years later and no revisions 😂

Dakazman

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,December 12, 2021, 03:45:28 PM »
Same stuff used on Triumphs so their settings will work just fine.