Author Topic: 336 desirability / value ?  (Read 324 times)

Offline Exlimey

336 desirability / value ?
« on: Sunday,June 13, 2021, 02:50:35 PM »
Went to a local car show today,talking with some Honda tuner types and one guy says “you have the Europa,a buddy of mine has one and a spare engine and transmission which he doesn’t need, I am sure you can have them cheap if not free” ! So  after the show I drove over,not 10 miles. He wasn’t around but I left my contact for him. The question is, would it be sensible to buy any of it, for maybe trade/ swop for something I need with a forum member and,the big question, what’s a ball park value for a motor and or 336, assuming not siezed ?

Offline jbcollier

Re: 336 desirability / value ?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,June 13, 2021, 03:42:10 PM »
Be sad to separate a car from its original engine and transaxle.

Europa 336 transaxles do have unique ring and pinion gears.  Other than leaks, they are reliable and robust and seldom have issues if you keep the oil topped up.  All that to say that, no, they are not especially valuable.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,June 13, 2021, 05:36:35 PM »
  336 gearbox on sale on Renault 16 shop go for 1800 and a wedge motor 2000. Completely rebuilt.
I just picked up a 4 spd gearbox for 500 shipped but with a tc bell housing.
Dakazman

Offline Exlimey

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,June 16, 2021, 05:08:56 PM »
Thanks for that,I just collected a motor and trans,condition unknown but it contains clean oil! Another motor and trans to come eventually. Also a decent set of cosmic wheels. More junk in the garage but its saved from the scrap man.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,June 16, 2021, 08:25:37 PM »
Cosmic wheels are valuable, even though they weigh more than the stock steel wheels.  They are a lot nicer looking than the ubiquitous mini-lite clones.

Just agree to "save" only one engine and trans.  I have a set in my garage too if yours get lonely.  Otherwise, that way leads to madness.  The 336 on Renault16 is for a Renault 16 -- didn't see that one coming did you?  Lotus 336s would give 4 reverse gears and one forward gear in a R16.  As mentioned earlier, the 336 is a reliable transaxle if kept full of oil.  All the consumables are available but failures are few and far between.  If it was a 365 5-speed, that would be another matter entirely.