Author Topic: need help rack passenger side bushing  (Read 523 times)

Offline califkid_66

need help rack passenger side bushing
« on: Wednesday,June 09, 2021, 08:21:54 AM »
i need to replace my passenger side bushing in the steering rack i have the new one but i don’t know how to change it i looked everywhere to get instructions how to but couldn’t find anything
if someone knows what the steps are please let me know i don’t want to tear the whole thing apart if i don’t have to
thanks in advance
Claude

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: need help rack passenger side bushing
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,June 09, 2021, 10:45:58 AM »
I have dismantled 7 steering racks, got plenty of spare parts, but I have absolutely no idea what part you call the bushing.

As far as I recall, the only moving part is the ball joint.

Please explain so we can help.

To undo the huge nuts on the end of the rack, you have to use heat to break the Loctite, plus there should be bent over lock tabs holding the smaller lock nut in place. I had to use a huge adjustable spanner to undo those nuts.

Personally I would not do that in situ, as flame and fibreglass is not a good combination, as getting a huge  spanner (wrench)  in there may be tricky.  Maybe an electric heat gun blowing very hot air might work, but I would not guarantee that would be hot enough to melt the Loctite.

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,June 09, 2021, 12:38:01 PM »
You pretty much have to tear the whole thing apart.  The bushing is pressed into the rack housing, so removal means typically destroying the existing bushing then pressing the new one in.   Here's a link that should help:  https://lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1038&start=

4129R - it's #10 in this link, though the picture of it isnt the best:  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/spitfire/steering-suspension/steering/steering-rack-spitfire-mki-1500-1962-80.html

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,June 10, 2021, 03:18:43 AM »
thank you ! that’s exactly what i was looking for ,that little bushing gets used up and gives some play in the steering it feels like  worn out tie rod i am going to remove the rack to change it 
thanks again

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,June 10, 2021, 06:53:52 AM »
The bushing will need to be pressed in, using a hydraulic press, not driven home with a hammer!  It's reasonably probable it may require line honing for a perfect fit.

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,June 10, 2021, 08:16:26 PM »
there seems to be a lot of loose im gonna take it apart to see if the tube is damaged or out of round the bushing is very thin i don’t think it’s going to need much pressure to push it in
the movement  inside the tube seems to be more than the thickness of the bushing
worst case scenario ill bring it to a machine shop

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Monday,June 21, 2021, 02:57:56 PM »
Good for you! It's nice to know that it's not that difficult!

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #7 on: Monday,June 21, 2021, 03:17:15 PM »
removing the bushing was supposed to be the hard part   that why im sharing how i did it ended up being real easy

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,June 23, 2021, 03:46:38 PM »
i don’t know what happened but my bushing post deleted itself and pictures to
so here they are again to remove old bushing i just put a 15 mm socket in the rack tube and tapped on it with the steering shaft came out real easy

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,June 23, 2021, 05:02:19 PM »
Congratulations and good job. That should give us confidence if we need to travel the same road!

I’m sure I saw your post with the pictures. How strange that you had to repost it!

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,June 23, 2021, 06:13:35 PM »
might as well show installation but first i want to say i don’t have a press and after advice not to do it this way i still did it worked for me but i was lucky i would suggest a press, i started placing the bushing on the end used a block of soft wood to tap in in went in one third then i took a piece of brass
and knocked it down you can see the results in the last picture it is not the way to do it but it worked for me