Author Topic: Old Owner, New Member  (Read 773 times)

Offline pict1558

Old Owner, New Member
« on: Tuesday,March 09, 2021, 10:09:47 PM »
After some delay, I finally got around to actually joining this forum as a member. I've only had my Europa since July 1977 so I guess it's about time that I did.

My Europa is a Type 74 Twin Cam 4-speed. It's registered as a '73 Lotus but the July '72 build date and MY1972 emissions compliance plate identify it as a '72. I go with it being a '72 but can't be bothered getting into an argument with the motor vehicle registration folks so it is officially, if incorrectly, a 1973 Lotus. As I said, I've owned since '77 so I've had a while to get used to the discrepancy.

The car is white and has had no major modifications over the years. A few relatively minor changes, e,g, headers, Pertronix ignition, and a smaller I.D. brake master cylinder instead of ineffective vacuum assist but otherwise pretty much as it left the factory. It has two newer Lotus in the family to keep it company - an Esprit and an Elise - but the Europa remains my favourite after all these years.

As for personal background, I'm on the west coast of Canada, in White Rock BC, and generally answer to "Mike". And a few less polite names when I'm playing hockey but we'll ignore that for now.

And a couple of pictures, both taken in 2019 - one at a British car show and the other showing the Europa reflected in the side of an absolutely huge 1937 Packard.

Online EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Old Owner, New Member
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,March 09, 2021, 10:33:50 PM »
Hi Mike,  :Welcome:, better late than never !

Nice looking car and those Cosmics look brilliant, really set off the car. Mine's a '72TC and I think it came with steel wheels but the first owner also fitted Cosmics. They never looked as good as yours do though.

Brian
« Last Edit: Tuesday,March 09, 2021, 10:41:51 PM by EuropaTC »

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,March 09, 2021, 10:37:08 PM »
Hi Mike and also a  :Welcome: from me.
The car looks really good.
Richard

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,March 09, 2021, 10:44:38 PM »
Hello Mike!

:Welcome:

Mark

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,March 10, 2021, 03:10:46 AM »
 :Welcome: Mike!! Yes, it’s way past time that you join the forum!

Very nice car you have there! It’s interesting that your Europa is your favorite of your cars!

I hope we hear a lot more from you!

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,March 10, 2021, 04:20:05 AM »
Mike, Glad to have you here, & looking forward to hearing of + 40 years of ownership.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,March 10, 2021, 04:39:29 AM »
 :Welcome:

Mike,  Thanks for finally stopping by! We’re pretty much all in the same regristration / build date maze with our motor vehicle department.

Beautiful finish on the Packard !

Dakazman

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,March 10, 2021, 06:57:59 AM »
Welcome to the group, Mike. Your Europa is very tidy. A fine example of the breed, and wearing the sharpest looking Cosmics I've seen. Glad you finally found your way here.  Cheers  :beerchug:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Arizona

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,March 10, 2021, 07:14:19 AM »
Nice looking car Mike. Your story sounds like mine. My Europa is also a '72 first registered in'73 but correctly titled as a '72 and I've owned it since '77. I've also added headers and pertronix ignition and eliminated the brake boosters, but otherwise kept it mostly original, and it's red.
George F. Johnson

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,March 10, 2021, 08:43:39 PM »
 :Welcome: Stunning car.  I love my TCS but I am always torn between which Type 74 looks better: The clean lines of the TC sans the bottom sills or the TCS with them.  Your car is a good argument for without them. I look forward to your posts.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,March 10, 2021, 08:47:41 PM by literarymadness »

Offline pict1558

« Reply #10 on: Thursday,March 11, 2021, 04:50:49 PM »
Hi Guys, and thanks for the welcome to the Forum. Yes, I should have joined years ago but, as I have said in other circumstances, life was easier when I was a simple crastinator before I turned pro.

It's interesting to see a couple of comments on the Cosmic wheels. There are one or two other Europas in my area with Cosmics and I like the look of them. The wheels were on the car when I bought it and were getting a bit ratty looking until I had them refinished back in 2010. The shop did a great job on them and they have stayed that way, although the car doesn't get quite as much use now as it did previously. The one thing I am a bit surprised about is that after literally decades of fielding the usual questions like "What is it? or "Who makes Lotus?" I have never yet had someone look at the centre caps and ask "What's a Cosmic?". Bound to happen one of these days.

Arizona, it sounds like our cars, if not twins, fall into the category of "separated at birth". It's encouraging to hear of others like it.

And i will elaborate and give my slightly facetious answer as to why the Europa remains my favourite ahead of the more modern Esprit V8 and Elise. Despite, or more accurately, because of the fact that the Europa has the least power, the most rattles, and most importantly the weakest brakes of the three it remains much more engaging and rewarding to drive quickly. To put it another way, when the mood strikes I can scare the crap out of myself at much more reasonable speeds.

Online EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #11 on: Thursday,March 11, 2021, 10:08:17 PM »
To put it another way, when the mood strikes I can scare the crap out of myself at much more reasonable speeds.

:FUNNY:

You're definitely gonna fit in here !

Brian