Author Topic: Clamp? TCS  (Read 228 times)

Offline kram350kram

Clamp? TCS
« on: Tuesday,March 02, 2021, 08:46:56 AM »
Anyone recognize this clamp? Think it's from under the dash. Sorting and cannot place it? Thanks

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Clamp? TCS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,March 02, 2021, 09:24:31 AM »
It looks like the one from underneath the steering column ? 

Brian

edit to add...
hmm, not so sure now. I thought it was the one which has a bit of felt inside and holds the outer column secure at the front but a quick scan through my PDF of the parts manual and I can't find it. Jury still out ?
« Last Edit: Tuesday,March 02, 2021, 09:34:51 AM by EuropaTC »

Offline Roger

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,March 02, 2021, 09:26:45 AM »
It looks like the one from underneath the steering column ? 

Brian

I second that opinion!

Offline Footer

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,March 02, 2021, 01:13:44 PM »
I know there is a clamp like yours that holds the steering column to the dash, but there may be another I'm not aware of.  The parts manual shows it although it is not easy to see.
In the diagram, it is shown assembled slightly below the steering wheel on the bottom column.  It is shown unassembled on the next column up from the bottom, although the position relative to the column is misleading.  The first position is accurate.  This clamp attaches to the bottom of the dash, just below the speedo and tach. 
Getting it in and out is a challenge for the dexterity of your fingers and tries your patience.  My inexperience in this caused me to disassemble and reassemble 5 or 6 times before I was done with wiring.  Good luck.

http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/tcparts/h/index.htm

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,March 02, 2021, 02:10:26 PM »
The steering column clamp on my UK Special, which I believe uses the same column as the S2's is cast aluminium. There is a picture in my thread here http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=3266.msg33464#msg33464

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,March 02, 2021, 06:55:14 PM »
Thanks all. SilverBeast, I have the upper column cast aluminum piece, but... in your picture where the ignition key is there are two bolt heads shown on a flat plate. That flat plate, #16 in the exploded view, shows two bolt holes and a third larger one for column past thru. The bolts I have in the clamp are the same as shown in your picture. So I think this clamp just helps support the ignition stalk. Strange that the clamp is not shown in the exploded view, but it all bolts up. Seems some TC/TCS items just didn't make it into the exploded views?