Author Topic: Hello je suis Philippe from France  (Read 1374 times)

Offline Le Saint

Re: Hello je suis Philippe from France
« Reply #30 on: Thursday,February 25, 2021, 11:54:06 AM »
Thank you for your answers, it is not for tomorrow that this suspension problem should be seen, but I will carefully keep your leads for the day when it will have to be fixed. Thanks guys ;)

Offline Le Saint

« Reply #31 on: Saturday,March 06, 2021, 04:58:54 AM »
 Hello everyone, I'm trying to find out if: the mirror that I had with my Europa is original? It is "old" but is it a model which was fitted to the TCs for the United States? Thank you in advance for your insight.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #32 on: Saturday,March 06, 2021, 05:22:12 AM »
That's just a generic, old mirror.  Not original from the factory.  Might have been installed by the selling dealer, or , more likely, a previous owner.

Offline BDA

« Reply #33 on: Saturday,March 06, 2021, 07:02:20 AM »
The original mirrors were Sebring brand with chromed cast pot metal covers. These are very rare but I found these on fleabay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-genuine-SEBRING-Mirrors-Porsche-mercedes-bmw-vw-audi-Fiat-Ferrari-talbot/114202776920?hash=item1a97041558:g:6-IAAOSwkm1fU33a). The pot metal covers were later replaced with plastic covers in either black or chrome like this (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiat-124-Spider-AS-BS-CS-Sebring-Mach1-Mirror-Black/313313091233?hash=item48f2ea5ea1:g:RMoAAOSwg3FUoY0k). The mirrors were mounted on black plastic pedestals. I believe r.d. has made reproductions.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #34 on: Saturday,March 06, 2021, 07:44:08 AM »
The sebring mirrors were OEM at some point but definitely not with the S1 and at least early S2.

Offline BDA

« Reply #35 on: Saturday,March 06, 2021, 07:58:32 AM »
As usual, I forgot to specify that I was talking about the TC and TCS and not earlier models. Apologies. I did check to make sure Le Saint had a TC though.  :)

Offline Le Saint

« Reply #36 on: Saturday,March 06, 2021, 08:16:08 AM »
Thank you gentlemen, and yes my Europa is a Twin cam (not special), so I have an old bad mirror which is not original ... I will find another solution. If you have a photo of a 1972 TC for reference I'd be happy to, thank you again.  ;)

Offline BDA

« Reply #37 on: Saturday,March 06, 2021, 09:43:11 AM »
I just did a search for "Lotus Europa Twin Cam" and looked at the Images and found some. Here's one: https://www.berlinetta-auctions.co.uk/weekly/car-detail/lot-33-1972-lotus-europa-twin-cam-special-jps

The Sebring mirrors are good. In fact they were used on F1 race cars back in the day. The passenger side mirror on the TC was only for looks. It was completely useless to the driver.

How original do you want to be? The mirrors I linked above for $450/pair are the most original you'll be able to get. The plastic version in chrome would be next. I think mirrors are one of those things for which most people who are concerned about originality are willing to accept alternates (I may be making an assumption here because I am not concerned about originality and don't know how those who are think) so you may want to update your mirrors and set them up so the passenger mirror is useful as well.

The nice thing is that the choice is yours!  :)

Offline Le Saint

« Reply #38 on: Saturday,March 06, 2021, 11:41:55 AM »
I am like a walker on a thread, keeping what is "original" and accepting to see points renovated. Currently the car does not have a mirror fitted. So if I find 1, in good condition and close to the original from 1972, it's nice. Now I am not ready to pay 250 € or 250 dollars for a "piece of plastic" you have to see ... Thank you for all the advice. (the devil is in the details, always ...)

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #39 on: Saturday,March 06, 2021, 09:01:18 PM »
If you google "sebring mirror chrome",  there are lots of reasonably priced options.