Author Topic: Steering rack TCS  (Read 554 times)

Offline kram350kram

Steering rack TCS
« on: Monday,February 01, 2021, 03:17:42 PM »
About to go thru the steering rack and noticed a 2" or so long inner bushing/sleeve and an outer sleeve with hose clamps. From what I have read the inner sleeve limits the racks throw. Does this inner sleeve just float on the shaft and the outer sleeve is just for boot retention or is something amiss that should hold the inner sleeve against the aluminum body of the rack? Thanks   

Offline jbcollier

Re: Steering rack TCS
« Reply #1 on: Monday,February 01, 2021, 07:29:39 PM »
Is that how you found your rack in the car?  No protective boots?

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Monday,February 01, 2021, 07:49:33 PM »
There is a spacer that limits the amount of turn in. There is a rack tube extension. I believe those are the sleeves you are talking about.

That rack is ready for a rebuild. You have too much rust where there shouldn’t be any. The S1/S2 workshop manual gives pretty good instructions on rebuilding your rack. In addition to that, I think I did a thread on it when I rebuilt mine.I’ll try to find it and I’ll post a link.

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #3 on: Monday,February 01, 2021, 07:55:06 PM »
No, just tore them off as they were quite torn and trashed, but much grease inside the rack and teeth. So the bushing spacer is a limiting device that just floats on the rack shaft, correct? Any pictures appreciated .

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Monday,February 01, 2021, 08:08:29 PM »
Yes. The Europa, as well as several other cars, used a variant of the Triumph Spitfire rack. If you’ve ever driven one, you might remember the insanely tight turning radius it has. Lotus had to make the turning radius wider so the wheels wouldn’t hit the bodywork.

I would look carefully at your rack. I’m concerned about the rust showing on your tie-rod nuts. That rust is not bad but if the moisture rusted the rack or pinion, or any of the working parts, you may have to take care of that.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #5 on: Monday,February 01, 2021, 09:14:50 PM »
The hose clamps shouldn't be there.  What are they holding in place?

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,February 02, 2021, 11:16:51 AM »
There are two short splits on the outer sleeve which I presume is to allow compression of the sleeve against the fixed part of the rack, as an extension for the boot? One clamp locks this sleeve in place , the other was holding the boot at the end of the clamped fixed sleeve. I take it this is not correct? 

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,February 02, 2021, 12:33:45 PM »
That makes a certain amount of sense. I didn't require a hose clamp for the extension, and I would think they are not required very often but I can see that if it is loose, a clamp there would be handy.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,February 02, 2021, 02:27:27 PM »
That's a bodge of some sort.  Might have lost the spacers are used some rolled sheet instead?  The lock-limiting spacers are just lengths of pipe/tubing.  Easy enough to make.  Someone should be able to provide you with the correct length.

Your "drilled" a-arms are pretty scary as well.  What is the bracket off the a-arm mount?  A nylock nut has to have exposed thread in order to function properly.  Your PO was a true DPO!

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,February 02, 2021, 05:31:50 PM »
 :I-agree: When I looked at the picture, I was sure I was mistaken and not understanding the picture. When you get to putting her back together, ignore what the DPO did and use the proper bits. I would also be careful about any structural modifications he might have done.

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday,February 02, 2021, 05:53:59 PM »
Are there two limiting spacers, one on each side? I only have the one on the passenger side, but movement to both sides is equal?  The service parts list manual shows a sleeve with no number, just an * ? The clamped sleeve is not rolled metal, its a solid tube. If either of you have a photo or a cut sheet on what should be on the TCS rack it would be appreciated. 

The a-arms are stock, just enclosed with a perforated metal strap. The bracket goes to a tray above. The nylocks are toast, just for mock-up. I am in the final stages of a "build" so much has been changed from stock. Don't know if anyone would be interested in what I'm doing, its a bit eccentric?

Offline BDA

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday,February 02, 2021, 06:27:04 PM »
There is one spacer - on the passenger side. It limits the total movement of the rack. After that all the movement is relative.

I need to correct myself. I just found a picture of the passenger side of my rack and I did use a hose clamp to hold the extension! The picture is taken from above and behind the front suspension. Don't be confused by how my frame looks different. I have an early Spyder frame which gave extra access (on both sides) to the steering U-joint.

The spacer is just a piece of tubing that fits over the rack itself. Unfortunately, I can't give the length but once you find that, it should be easy enough to fabricate. You could make it out of a piece of mild steel tube or pipe. You might check a parts supplier (r.d. enterprises, Dave Bean Engineering, Lotus Supplies, SJ Sportscars, etc. They might be able to give you some dimensions if they don't have the part.

The holes really threw me! I have heard of people boxing in their A-arms. They are designed to absorb energy in an accident so less energy is transfered to the frame (hopefully saving it from damage). The reality is that they are becoming pretty rare and if the time hasn't come yet, it probably will soon when you will have to go to aftermarket tubular A-arms. It looks like your DPO went for a sort of "partial" box job. I decided to keep the stock lower A-arms (thinking they would be the most likely to be involved in a problem) and got adjustable tubular upper A-arms.

As for what you're doing, I think it would be great to share that. It might give others a new idea. Some of us just like to see what others are thinking!

Offline SENC

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday,February 02, 2021, 07:24:34 PM »
Might be useful...

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday,February 02, 2021, 08:33:39 PM »
BDA is right, I'm wrong.  The TC/S have the "extended housing" to match the internal extenders.