Author Topic: TCS Engine Mounts (#0374)  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Footer

Re: TCS Engine Mounts (#0374)
« Reply #15 on: Thursday,January 28, 2021, 03:12:07 PM »
You might want to touch base with Rob Siegel,aka The Hack Mechanic.  He talks about what I think is the same problem with his TCS and the Bean cartridge filter fitting.  He spends some time discussing the issue in his book, "The Lotus Chronicles".
The suggestion to swap the mount brackets may solve the problem since they are not interchangeable from side to side.
Good luck!

Offline jpane

« Reply #16 on: Friday,January 29, 2021, 08:14:56 AM »
I will have to go into the shop today or tomorrow to measure the engine mount brackets. But, since the interference is on the right side, and that is the supposed to be the short bracket, reversing them would move it to the left, away from the frame on the right.
I will order The Lotus Chronicles, when you said to contact the author, did that mean he is accessible via the web to ask a question?
Thanks for your suggestions.
John

Offline BDA

« Reply #17 on: Friday,January 29, 2021, 08:41:42 AM »
He's a member of this forum but not a consistent poster. You might try sending him a PM or an email through the forum.

Offline jpane

« Reply #18 on: Friday,January 29, 2021, 08:53:28 AM »
Thanks, I have just ordered the book (can never have enough Europa or Lotus books). Interestingly, it was not available from my local independent bookstore, who I like to support, so had to get from Amazon. Since I was $0.05 short of free shipping, I ordered $75 of stuff I need for another project. Actually that is true, but I really will need those things once the weather warms up and I can work in my barn, it's gotten all the way up to
8 F, at noon, so that may be quite a while.

Offline jpane

« Reply #19 on: Friday,January 29, 2021, 08:55:15 AM »
Thanks, BDA. I may try and contact him once I have a better idea of what question to ask.

Offline Lotuswins

« Reply #20 on: Sunday,January 31, 2021, 05:24:42 PM »
I have his book here, and he mentions it on page 308.  His timing cover was hitting the underside of the frame.  Apparently he notched the motor mount holes enough to drop the motor down to clear the frame, while still maintaining clearance above the frame for the timing chain adjuster boss.  I guess you split the difference??  I didn't have to do it on mine, but perhaps mine was an earlier casting?  My original timing cover had no issues either. 

Jerry Rude
4005R