Author Topic: TCS Engine Mounts (#0374)  (Read 1006 times)

Offline jpane

TCS Engine Mounts (#0374)
« on: Saturday,January 23, 2021, 07:10:07 AM »
I just had the engine/transmission put back in the car, and the mechanic tells me that part of the front cover is hitting the frame. I have the Bean cassette water pump front cover. I contacted Ken at Bean, and he asked whether the motor mounts might be upside down. Looking at a picture of the TCS mounts on RD's site, I want to know if the "ears" on the mounting flange go up or down.
Thanks for the help, John

Offline jpane

Re: TCS Engine Mounts (#0374)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,January 23, 2021, 07:27:54 AM »
I think I may have answered my own question. It appears the "ears" go down from the RD picture. My confusion came from the Lotus West diagram comparing mounts 0374 with 6011, which shows the ears going up.
Can someone confirm that they go down. I'm about to go to the shop to check.
Thanks, John

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,January 23, 2021, 07:39:45 AM »
I’m not sure what you mean but the part of the mount with the rubber in it should be oriented such that if the rubber were to fail, the engine would be caught by the steel part of the mount. The fabricated mount part that bolts on the engine has an “ear” that bolts to the isolation (aforementioned mount with rubber) such that its “ear” is bent slight toward the front of the car.

Does that help?

Offline jpane

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,January 23, 2021, 09:25:33 AM »
Thanks for the description. The mounts are properly oriented, with the steel part able to catch the engine in case of failure. So I still don't know why there is interference.

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,January 23, 2021, 09:42:35 AM »
Are you attaching the fabricated engine side mount on the back side of the isolation mounts?

Offline jpane

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,January 23, 2021, 09:52:24 AM »
If I understand you correctly, you are asking if the rubber mounts are attached to the frame or the engine. Your post sounds like it should be on the engine, with the bracket then extending to the frame. If that is what you mean, then they did it wrong.
Thanks

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,January 23, 2021, 09:59:13 AM »
Sorry, I'll try to be more clear. The rubber mounts are bolted to the frame and the fabricated steel mounts are bolted to the block. The mounting "ear" on the steel mount could be bolted on the "front" side of the ear (toward the front of the car), or the back side of the ear (toward the rear of the car. Mine are bolted on the back side of the ear. That could make about a 1/2" difference.

The attached picture isn't not super clear on this but you can see that the back of the fabricated steel mount (the side with the nuts) is visible so it is behind the mounting ear of the isolation mount.

Offline jpane

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,January 23, 2021, 10:53:44 AM »
Sorry to confuse things, I was referring to different ears. I meant on the flexible motor mount, the part that bolts to the frame has two curved ears, and they point down, which I think is correct.
I will have to go back and check how the steel fabricated bracket is attached to the flexible mount, but I cannot picture how that would change the height.
Thanks for giving me so much help,
John

Offline BDA

« Reply #8 on: Saturday,January 23, 2021, 12:02:04 PM »
Height!!! Oh!!! I was thinking that something was making the motor go too far forward! My apologies! I couldn't find the page at r.d. but I found this at lotus-europa.com: http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/tcparts/e/tcea.pdf. You can see parts #33 and 27. Does this help?

Offline Lotuswins

« Reply #9 on: Saturday,January 23, 2021, 12:05:34 PM »
Hi John,

So where is the timing cover hitting the frame?  I just checked mine, and the rubber mount's ears are forward of the metal mounts with the steel of the rubber mount able to catch it if the rubber fails.  I also have a Bean front cover, but that shouldn't make a difference.  I once saw a type 47 break the cover's chain adjustment boss when a motor mount failed, so its important to get it right  8).
Jerry Rude
4005R

Offline jpane

« Reply #10 on: Saturday,January 23, 2021, 12:20:54 PM »
It is the tube sticking out the right side of the cover. I believe it is the timing chain adjuster, but I will check next time I am at the shop.
Thanks, John

Offline brucelotus26r

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday,January 26, 2021, 10:26:58 AM »
My car from underneath

Offline brucelotus26r

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday,January 26, 2021, 10:31:34 AM »
My car from underneath

Offline Lotuswins

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday,January 26, 2021, 02:03:07 PM »
So its hitting the water inlet of the timing cover.  The inlet is on the side for the Elan, and in the front for the Europa.  That means the engine is a bit over to one side and possibly up too high.  Is it possible the motor mount brackets have been swapped?  They have different part numbers and are different lengths IIRC. 

Jerry Rude
4005Ra

Offline jpane

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday,January 26, 2021, 02:48:23 PM »
Thanks Jerry, that sounds possible. I will check tomorrow.