Author Topic: Europa on two-post lift?  (Read 513 times)

Offline Richard48Y

Europa on two-post lift?
« on: Sunday,January 31, 2021, 11:26:49 PM »
After straining to do some simple work on my truck this morning I was strongly reminded how badly I miss the two-post lift I used to have.
My new shop floor should be poured and finished this week, and we are putting in an extra thick area for the lift.
After nearly buying a new "U.S.A" branded unit I abandoned that company when I found their actual manufacture is done in China.  >:(
So I've found a very good deal on an older unit that is in fact U.S.A. made.

Felt pretty good about that, then realized that using it for the Europa may be tricky.  :confused:
Seems to me I will need to fabricate some sort of cradle to pick up strong points on the chassis.
Certainly cannot just lift from the sills and there are no perimeter frame rails.

Anyone else dealt with this?
Pics of the solution?

Offline Certified Lotus

Re: Europa on two-post lift?
« Reply #1 on: Monday,February 01, 2021, 08:47:22 AM »
I used a two post lift for my Europa during the entire three year restoration of my car. There are no issues if you built larger platforms to put under the body of the car to spread out the load.

Here are pictures of the wooden platforms I built to place over the lift arm pads. It’s important to place the larger lift pads at each corner of the underbody where the wheel well and floor pan meet. This area is the strongest support location to lift the Europa. I will assume you have all the chassis bolts in place before trying to lift it this way.

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #2 on: Monday,February 01, 2021, 10:04:59 AM »
Surprised that worked!

I'm thinking more along the line of two interlocking bars to pick up the back-bone with outriggers to steady the body since the actual chassis is so narrow.
Do not want to pick up on the suspension.

With the body off I think I would use straps to pick up the chassis from above.
I need this restoration to go quickly.

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #3 on: Monday,February 01, 2021, 10:13:27 AM »
Richard, this is how I lifted the body on and off the chassis.
Sandy

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #4 on: Monday,February 01, 2021, 10:49:34 AM »
Used a two post lift on many Europas without issue.
Position the pads as Certified has detailed and make sure all the body mounting bolts are in.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #5 on: Monday,February 01, 2021, 12:37:48 PM »
Sandy,
Do those just catch the fender lips?
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #6 on: Monday,February 01, 2021, 01:29:08 PM »
Yes. A padded 2x4 and a small backing plate to hold the arms from sliding out.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #7 on: Monday,February 01, 2021, 08:15:52 PM »
Felt pretty good about that, then realized that using it for the Europa may be tricky.  :confused:
Seems to me I will need to fabricate some sort of cradle to pick up strong points on the chassis.
Certainly cannot just lift from the sills and there are no perimeter frame rails. Anyone else dealt with this? Pics of the solution?

:I-agree: This personally is a subject which concerns me but, refer photo, (which is not mine), lifting from the body, irrespective of for jacking purposes, (as described in the manual), or with a 2 post lift, appears to be an acceptable norm.
Considering that the body is attached by just 8 bolts, (correct on the TC?), the total weight of the chassis, engine, transmission, suspension and wheels that would be trying to tear through the glass fibre of the body at these 8 points, makes me....cringe.  :holdurbreath:
Given the choice, (and this is only my personal opinion), I just wouldn't feel comfortable with the practice and would be looking at means of lifting from the chassis, (somehow).       

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #8 on: Monday,February 01, 2021, 08:39:00 PM »
The body is now about fifty years old, I just cannot see myself doing it that way.
I can too easily envision a catastrophic failure.
The lift will be delivered tomorrow, the floor will not be ready for a few weeks.
I have a concept in mind for a support framework in two pieces for ease of attachment.
So very anxious to get the new shop finished so that I may actually get to work on my cars again!