Author Topic: Pin Stripes on TC Special  (Read 1428 times)

Offline jpane

Pin Stripes on TC Special
« on: Thursday,January 07, 2021, 07:10:02 AM »
Quite a while ago, I had my Europa painted after repairs from being hit while parked. I bought pin stripe tape, from Banks, I believe. I never got the stripes installed, and was hoping someone had drawings/specs for their placement. I'm sure there was some variation, it is a Lotus, after all, but some sort of a plan would be welcome.
Then, next question will be whether the adhesive will still work.   ;)

Offline BDA

Re: Pin Stripes on TC Special
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,January 07, 2021, 08:15:53 AM »
Somebody actually measured the stripes on his car but I can't find it now. You can do an image search (I use duckduckgo) for "lotus europa" and see some examples. You can look in the gallery. Pictures of my car may be helpful (http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view&id=8) (note that my stripes are 1/4" rather than 3/16" - I forgot the thickness when I told the paint shop. I also have the horizontal surface of the engine cover striped. That is not standard.).

Offline E Paul

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,January 07, 2021, 08:22:26 AM »
Long time ago...
My poor car has been rear-ended (both times while stationary!!!!!!!!!) twice during my ownership, the first time when it was almost new. I had it repaired by a Lotus dealer  (Marco Competition in Monclair NJ)at the time and they told me that they could not obtain pinstripe specs themselves. It was a big delay in returning the car to me and after several months of trying with Lotus East and Hethel we gave up. They ended up copying another Special that belonged to the dealership. When it got hit the second time, with the Foreign Motors West repair shop guys (recommended by local F-car dealer), we took a ton of photos before repairs so that we could restripe the car after stripping all the paint and repainting from scratch (it ended up better than new). I might still have those photos (it was almost 30 years ago), which if I can find (possible, but not likely), I would be happy to lend to you. Just to be clear,  it has been restriped twice, never with any guidance from the factory, but I am confident that the striping is accurate.
or I could take a lot of pix of the car as it sits now...only since you are an honorary member of the original owners club.
or if you want to drive to MA, you can take them!
Paul

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #3 on: Thursday,January 07, 2021, 08:37:17 AM »
I have an original paint Special with factory applied stripes intact. I can take some reference photos if that would be helpful.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,January 07, 2021, 08:38:41 AM »
I found the pictures I was looking for: http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/misc/TCS%20Stripes%2074.pdf

He measured them pretty precisely but as you said, this is for a Lotus, they were originally applied by hand, and it's doubtful that any original examples are still around to be compared to so I don't think there is a lot to be gained by being overly anal about it.

edit: just when I posted that original examples probably no longer exist, Bainford proves me wrong!

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,January 07, 2021, 09:15:05 AM »
Were the pin stripes always gold in color? 

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,January 07, 2021, 09:17:57 AM »
Yes.

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #7 on: Thursday,January 07, 2021, 09:53:44 AM »
Have seen some nice aftermarket colours done, black on a yellow car and silver on lagoon blue both looked good.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #8 on: Thursday,January 07, 2021, 10:59:50 AM »
Have seen some nice aftermarket colours done, black on a yellow car and silver on lagoon blue both looked good.
I can well imagine.
I mean, I understand the significance of gold stripes on black, (JPS), but if your TCS body is another color, the stripes become effectively just a pattern no? My car is destined to be yellow and I must admit I am thinking of alternative colors for the stripe other than gold. (Silver or white would work no?)   

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Thursday,January 07, 2021, 11:04:30 AM »
Lotus put gold strips on cars of all colors, but I expect "all" didn't include yellow. I would think the stripes would get lost. I think you should make yourself happy with your stipe color.

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #10 on: Thursday,January 07, 2021, 11:11:52 AM »
Whatever colour you want tbh - it’s your car after all! You can always change them providing you don’t lacquer over them.

Offline E Paul

« Reply #11 on: Thursday,January 07, 2021, 02:38:08 PM »
My friend had a yellow one. It had gold striping.

Offline BDA

« Reply #12 on: Thursday,January 07, 2021, 03:53:07 PM »
How did it look? Was I right in expecting the gold stripes to get lost in the yellow?

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #13 on: Thursday,January 07, 2021, 04:02:45 PM »
Found this online

Offline BDA

« Reply #14 on: Thursday,January 07, 2021, 06:00:06 PM »
I think it looks good! Better than I expected.