Author Topic: Hello, I'm a new member  (Read 1317 times)

Offline BillsLotus

Hello, I'm a new member
« on: Tuesday,December 01, 2020, 01:51:22 PM »
My name is Bill. Just bought a 1973 Europa. I've looking to buy one since I was 15 (67 now). I'm from Maryland but now live in Merritt Island, FL. I first saw the Euopa in about 1970. Back then stores were closed on Sundays. The local Mall had an Auto Cross on Sundays in the parking lot, I saw the Europa and feel in love with it. I had forgotten about it till a saw one on Pawn Stars the TV show about eight years ago. That one got away from me so I started searching on and off. Tried to buy one from some internet sites but they were all frauds. I thought I would give it one more try so I searched Craigs List nationwide and saw a 1973 in Kentucky. It was 800 miles away. So I called the owner and told him to hold it and left the next morning to top get it. Made the deal, towed the car back to Florida. It was the only thing on mu bucket list, bucket list now complete. I love it. I'm going to repaint it Olympic Blue. Also glad I found this site. Thanks.

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
Re: Hello, I'm a new member
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,December 01, 2020, 01:54:41 PM »
 Hi Bill and :Welcome:

Online gideon

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,December 01, 2020, 01:57:24 PM »
 :Welcome: Bill. We'd love to see some pictures of your bucket list car  :)

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,December 01, 2020, 02:03:25 PM »
 :Welcome:  Bill!!!

Glad you finally got your baby! That's a nice (and not unusual) story! We'd love to see pictures of her as well as the progress of your work. Besides repainting her, what plans do you have for her? Are you keeping her stock or are you planning any mods?

Offline BillsLotus

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,December 01, 2020, 03:58:45 PM »
I'll send some pictures. The motor has been upgraded to 1998 Honda Accura (160 HP). It's like a rocket when you hit 2nd gear. Besides paint I'm going to leave it. I live in Florida so I'm thinking of adding an A/C. I've looked into it seems doable but any thoughts on that would be appreciated.  Glad I found you guys.

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,December 01, 2020, 04:05:45 PM »
Welcome Bill...
A terrific group of guys here with plenty of experience, so don't be afraid to ask!

We like pictures too!

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,December 01, 2020, 04:07:05 PM »
 :Welcome: Bill. A little forum surfing will reveal some great Europa owners in the Sunshine State. Lots of information and help here. I am jealous that you can continue to enjoy your new baby all winter. Mine has been put to bed for 4-5 months. A foot of snow has fallen in the last 48 hrs, so lots of shovelling and snow blowing. We all love to see pictures so take lots and share. Resizing pictures is not hard and allows more per post.
Sandy

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,December 01, 2020, 04:10:23 PM »
Your car sounds really interesting! Tell us more, please! Which tranny do you have? Brakes?

I’m really looking forward to your pictures!

Offline BillsLotus

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,December 01, 2020, 04:19:55 PM »
Thanks for getting back to me guys. Pictures coming and yes, you can't beat driving Florida in the winter. Summer not so good. There is a Lotus Club in South Florida I think. Any help in locating other owners in Florida would be great. So I'm thinking of an A/C. I'v looked into it a little bit, but I'm going to need a lot of advice on that.

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,December 01, 2020, 04:22:44 PM »
Our Pfreen, literarymadness, and dakazman (I hope I spelled that right, that’s why I call him Dkman!) are three active members in Florida.

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday,December 01, 2020, 04:28:34 PM »
My car has AC and I live in Orlando.  It is a '73 TCS. 
Perhaps we can get together some time.
Welcome!

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday,December 01, 2020, 05:51:13 PM »
 :Welcome: Glad to have another Europa owner in the Sunshine State. Olympic Blue is a great color.  I am having rear disc brakes installed on the back and vented ones in the front. Should have my car back by the end of next week and am due to drive north up to Orlando to see my buddy pfreen (a retired automotive engineer and owner of a TCS to die for). Paul's a wealth of knowledge. Dakazman live about twenty minutes from Merritt Island, so a mini Florida Europa Summit sounds great. 

Offline dakazman

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday,December 01, 2020, 06:05:15 PM »
 :Welcome:
 BillsLotus
   It’s just over a bridge to Rockledge from Merritt Island . I would love to see your baby.
As BDA said we love pics. There is a great bunch of guys on here with tons of knowledge . With that said visit often and post whenever you want to document your journey.
Dakazman
Aka D’man
Dave Kaczmarek

Wes , sounds like a great idea.
« Last Edit: Tuesday,December 01, 2020, 06:07:12 PM by dakazman »

Offline BillsLotus

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday,December 01, 2020, 07:22:22 PM »
Having trouble uploading photos. Says file is to large. Is there a trick?

Offline BDA

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday,December 01, 2020, 07:26:55 PM »
There are several ways. This is the "approved" way - only because it is enshrined in a sticky at the top of this forum: http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=1379.0

I use this method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_55eg00H-w (this method works because the image that is saved is in the resolution of the screen which is not too big but still gives a good image)