Author Topic: Oil pump question  (Read 915 times)

Offline konapaul

Oil pump question
« on: Monday,November 30, 2020, 11:32:46 AM »
I'm taking my engine apart for a re-build. When driving the oil pump shaft through the block, it needed some encouragement, assumed to be due to corrosion on the shaft. With the shaft removed, inspection of the lower bearing surface shows several parallel and vertical score marks, approximately consistent with the spacing of the splines on the oil pump shaft, at two opposite patches. The score marks are shown in the photos attached. Are these deliberate for oiling the surface, or is this damaged caused by me (or the PO) - if this case does anyone have any suggestions? The block is from a 1647cc x-flow Renault unit.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Footer

Re: Oil pump question
« Reply #1 on: Monday,November 30, 2020, 01:50:13 PM »
Sorry that I don't have any insight here as I'm not familiar with the renault engine but welcome to the forum.  Many knowledgeable people here who are willing and eager to help.
Good luck on the rebuild!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Monday,November 30, 2020, 02:23:30 PM »
Been a while but I thought it came out the other way.

Offline brucelotus26r

« Reply #3 on: Monday,November 30, 2020, 02:44:06 PM »
The marks are to uniform to have bin made by accident.
Perhaps they are to let oil drain past pump shaft to help lubricate it.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #4 on: Monday,November 30, 2020, 04:44:13 PM »
    I’ll send you some pics of my crossflow tomorrow. I also send a wedge to compare it to.
The shaft comes out either way... , but with head on, it will only come out the bottom.  If you have oil build up there you can remove the inspection plugs on the side of the block and see what debris is inside block.
Dakazman

Offline GavinT

« Reply #5 on: Monday,November 30, 2020, 08:54:58 PM »
Hi konapaul,

Hope I'm interpreting your post correctly, but did you drive the oil pump shaft upwards to exit from above the block?
The usual method is to extract the shaft together with the inner rotor still attached in a downward direction. There should be no need to remove the inner rotor from the shaft.

When purchasing a new oil pump kit, it comes with the inner rotor already pressed on to a new shaft as well as a new outer rotor.

As to the score marks, it appears they are from the shaft splines as you deduced.
Apart from knocking them down to eliminate burs & the potential for debris, I probably wouldn't worry too much as long as everything else is OK.
Any dissenting opinions on this? . . JB?

Cheers,
Gavin
« Last Edit: Monday,November 30, 2020, 09:00:21 PM by GavinT »

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #6 on: Monday,November 30, 2020, 09:30:09 PM »
Hello Konapaul,

I can't assist you but,

:Welcome:

Mark

Offline konapaul

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,December 01, 2020, 12:12:30 AM »
Thanks very much for the welcome and quick responses! Very helpful.

@jbcollier "Comes out the other way", yes sorry if that wasn't clear, I knocked the shaft out from above (cam side) with the inner rotor still attached. The photos of the inside of the block are taken from below for convenience. I just expected it to almost fall out once the cam-gear had been freed from the splines on the oil pump shaft.

"Perhaps they are to let oil drain past pump shaft to help lubricate it." I think this is probably the case, maybe PO. The oil pump and inner rotor that was in the block doesn't have the nice 45° swirl next to the rotor that the replacement in @GavinT photo has. Attached is a photo.

Thanks very much again for the responses, makes me feel a bit better to just tidy it up (as GavinT said remove burrs and debris) and get a new pump.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,December 01, 2020, 07:13:51 AM »
The varnish deposits are what makes the shaft difficult to remove.  U usually like to clean them off first.  As mentioned above, there is a cover you can remove to get access.  Drop your new pump in place.  As long as there is no play, you'll be fine.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,December 01, 2020, 07:21:44 AM »
[...] The oil pump and inner rotor that was in the block doesn't have the nice 45° swirl next to the rotor . . . [...]

Yes, I've not seen that swirl before either.
It was a random pic I kidnapped from the interwebs, though it does seem to be in Renault labeled packing.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday,December 01, 2020, 11:25:51 AM »
Very common to a spiral groove to take oil up into a bushing.  They are handed and based on the direction of rotation.  On some assemblies, I have added them back in using a dremel if they are missing.