Author Topic: Dragged another one home - Pt 1  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: Dragged another one home - Pt 1
« Reply #15 on: Monday,September 28, 2020, 04:31:24 AM »
Thanks BDA for the link for Automat, I could not remember the name of the company. I did check their prices and naturally prices have gone up since the beginning of the year by 50%. I've posted a screenshot of the carpet prices for Lotus and the selection of options Automat offers. The cheapest carpet set, if my math is right, is around $570.

Brian thanks for your input on your experience. I already have a complete new carpet set for another Europa in black that I'll have to locate and lay out and try to measure out the the total yardage that will be required. If I remember from the last time I had the set laid out on the floor, there was an amazing number of small bits included and the entire set was surprisingly light. The cost of generic carpet material from some of the venders on line is not cheap, anywhere from around $30 to $75 per yard. As you said, this may more about doing yourself than final cost. I'll check with a couple of local upholstery shops to see what they have to offer.

I got the seats removed yesterday and I'll start the hazardous task of removing the old carpeting this week. This being my first early twin cam, all of my previous twinks being Specials, interesting to note some of the S2 features present in the interior. 

Offline Kendo

« Reply #16 on: Monday,September 28, 2020, 11:52:27 AM »
Does anyone know what those different carpet types are, and what would be close to the original? I imagine Chunky "adding lightness" to the cost would have gone with the left column.

Offline BDA

« Reply #17 on: Monday,September 28, 2020, 12:15:31 PM »
The options were bewildering to me when I ordered my carpet set way back when. I think the original carpets were nylon loop pile. I wanted something nicer and I think I picked a wool. I would call for advise first.

One nice thing about Automat is that if you want to get a bit fancy, they will embroider something on the mats for you. Certified Lotus and I got the Lotus roundel embroidered on our mats. Certified got black and I got more of a biscuit color. As I said before, they have lots of colors too.

As Joji says, they aren't cheap. They are of good quality so if you want to give your baby a nicer cabin, they are a good option.

Speaking of cabins, I recently found out that PrestigeAutowood has closed down. That's a real shame. He made exquisite  wood dashboards. There are other good sources but I haven't kept up with them since I already had my dash.

Offline Kendo

« Reply #18 on: Tuesday,September 29, 2020, 04:57:27 PM »
Not to derail much, but my recently learning that Prestige has shut down bummed me out. I was getting ready to order one. Anyone know of a good alternative?

Offline BDA

« Reply #19 on: Tuesday,September 29, 2020, 05:15:00 PM »
Lotus Supplies (https://www.lotus-supplies.com) sells dashes that look nice. They would be worth a call. Whoever you call, you should want all the surfaces to be finished to keep the moisture out.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #20 on: Tuesday,September 29, 2020, 05:37:59 PM »
Not to derail much, but my recently learning that Prestige has shut down bummed me out. I was getting ready to order one. Anyone know of a good alternative?

Europa Group IO has a conversation on Prestige Autowood closing. There are couple of alternative sources for wood dashes suggested.

https://groups.io/g/LotusEuropa/topic/has_prestige_autowood_closed/76744281?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,20,76744281