Author Topic: FS: Lotus Europa Special and Twin-Cam gear-linkage parts  (Read 1638 times)

Offline BDA

Re: Lotus Europa Special and Twin-Cam gear-linkage parts
« Reply #15 on: Monday,May 25, 2020, 12:33:59 PM »
Cool story, Edward! But then why wouldn't he be able to design something that intuitively after all he had already done?!

Offline EdwardWinter

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday,May 27, 2020, 01:41:32 PM »
I attach an image of the Europa Special I had. It is number 63 of the 100 that Lotus built to commemorate their 50th Grand Prix win and 1972 Constructors' title.

It was a publicity shot taken in 1983 or thereabouts at Norvic Racing Engines here in the UK. Norvic at the time, were based at Little Staughton Airfield that is just north of Bedford. Little Staughton was an American bomber-base in World War II.

Norvic was run by Steve Sanville who had been Chief Powertrain Engineer in the 1960s. He productionised the twin-cam engine and then developed it into the Big-Valve version.  He also developed the slant-four engine that was used in the second-generation Elite, Eclat and Excel series.

Steve left Lotus to establish a company to rebuild Chapman's DFV engines. Having left, he was galled to see Tony Rudd then get the credit for the Big-Valve and to add further woe, Chapman reneged on his promise.

He diversified into aero engines.  The site at Little Staughton is a functioning airfield so the new direction was both necessary and propitious.

Of note in the picture is the man "working" on my car. He is Colin Gain. Colin accompanied Steve from Lotus to Norvic as Chief Machine-Shop Foreman.

If you recall, the Europa S1 used the engine and transaxle from the Renault 16. Well, Colin led the team that adapted the gearbox so that it had four forward as opposed to four reverse gears. In the Renault, the gearbox protruded from the front of the car whereas in the Europa of course, protrusion was at the rear.

Colin was then involved when the original type 336 gearbox was replaced by the 352 and latterly, the 5-speed 365.

He and Steve helped me on several occasions both with twin-cam engines and Europa gearboxes.  Steve had the original blue-prints for the twin-cam; he told me he wasn't supposed to have them, but he did.

Sadly, Steve passed away some 30 years ago.  He was a qualified pilot both for powered aircraft and gliders.  While gliding, he had an aortic aneurysm.  On pages 84 and 85 of Doug Nye's book The Story of Lotus 1961-1971, there is a picture of Jim Clark sitting in Lotus's first Indy Challenger.  It is surrounded by mechanics and Colin Chapman.  Steve is standing on Chapman's left.

Offline BDA

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday,May 27, 2020, 03:16:27 PM »
Thanks for that bit of Lotus history. It's always interesting to hear of some of the nitty gritty details and stories that only someone who was there could tell. Sad though that everyone doesn't end up with the "polished armor" we like to attribute to our heroes.

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday,May 27, 2020, 06:14:37 PM »
Thank you Edward, So wonderful of you to share your memories with us...Cheers!

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #19 on: Wednesday,May 27, 2020, 10:15:14 PM »
Hi Edward!

:Welcome:

I'd also be interested in some parts (if there are any parts left?)

regards,
Mark

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #20 on: Wednesday,May 27, 2020, 10:23:11 PM »
An anecdote about the design of the linkage for the type 352 gearbox and later, the 365.
My contact at Torrington from 45 years or so ago was Malcolm Stewart.
He was summoned to Hethel to help design the system.  Evidently, he and one of the designers spent a couple of weeks trying to devise a linkage.  It could not be the same as the soon-to-be superseded 336.
They were struggling.
Malcolm told me that he and the designer were at a desk when they were joined by Colin Chapman.
It was explained to Chapman what they were trying to do.  Chapman said, "Let me have a look at your drawings".
He quickly scanned over them and then stated, "Right, you need a system that starts at the gear lever and ends at the gearbox's selector shaft.  Something like this."
He sketched a design.
"There", said Chapman, "We need a jointed system for ease of use.  Use tubes; they are light. Only two are required. A front tube connected to a rear tube by a universal-joint.  The rear tube needs a coupling onto the selector shaft with the same type of uj.  Oh, and put a support for the centre joint.  A rose joint should do it, with a bracket bolted onto the bellhousing.  Malcolm. your steering joints should do the trick.  Get this drawn up."
And with that, Chapman proceeded on his way.
It had taken him only a few minutes to consider the problem and sketch out a solution.  And do what Malcolm and the engineer had been wrestling with for weeks.
Malcolm told me he had heard that Chapman was a brilliant designer but was dumbfounded by just how good he was.

this is a great example of Colin Chapman's blend of genius and "get it done" attitude!
Thanks for sharing Edward  ;D 

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #21 on: Thursday,May 28, 2020, 05:07:20 AM »
Steve had the original blue-prints for the twin-cam; he told me he wasn't supposed to have them, but he did.

Do I remember correctly that all the official Lotus documentation was lost in a fire? Any chance Steve's widow still has these blueprints? Could be a valuable bit of history.
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline EdwardWinter

« Reply #22 on: Thursday,May 28, 2020, 01:59:31 PM »
Hi Edward!

:Welcome:

I'd also be interested in some parts (if there are any parts left?)

regards,
Mark
Hi Mark
I have only four of the repair kits left.
Best wishes
Edward