Author Topic: S2 sports racer in Oz  (Read 566 times)

Offline GavinT

S2 sports racer in Oz
« on: Thursday,April 30, 2020, 03:31:51 AM »
From the pics, it looks like the car was road registered at some point.

Disclaimer:
I've exchanged a few e-mails with the owner on the subject of modifying 807 engines but I have no commercial interest.

https://www.racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/111525/lotus-europa-sports-racing-car

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
Re: S2 sports racer in Oz
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,April 30, 2020, 08:20:03 AM »
What a lovely Europa. Well sorted. Interesting control arms on the front suspension.  It looks like serious fun.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,April 30, 2020, 09:05:59 AM »
Gavin,

Thanks for posting this! I agree it is a very interesting Europa. I am curious about making a second modified frame for my TCS that utilizes similar rear hub carrier. I am looking in to sourcing 23 rear hub carriers.

Here is a link to Jon Lexau's site where he covers some of his modifications. He used Lotus 41 uprights in the rear.

http://www.greytower.com/jon/lotus/europa/latest/up_and_running.html

He went all out with a Hewland transaxle.

Offline StephenH

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,April 30, 2020, 09:17:59 PM »
Has been for sale for perhaps 5-6 years I think, was at about AUD100K at one point.
I always wondered if it was a little bit of a 'but I do have it up for sale dear' attempt rather than a serious sale.
Stephen
54/1690 1969 S2

Offline GavinT

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,April 30, 2020, 09:56:57 PM »
Yes, I thought it's an interesting car from the perspective that it was able to be registered . . and that he's maintained more or less the stock drive train, though the gearbox may well have that straight cut close ratio gear set - don't know.
The owner tells me the 807 engine was at 2.2 litre capacity at one point.

Other than those who consider originality to be sacrosanct, everyone will have their own philosophy on where to draw the line on modifications.

It's a funny world. I rather like the idea of a Zetec but always baulk at the extra weight and what that might do to the balance in an S2. To me, that balance is worth something.
Heck, there's people out there who shoehorn in an Alfa or Nissan V6 and they go like the clappers.

F'rinstance, if you're going to a 47 type rear end like this one or Jon Lexau's, why not install a Subaru boxer engine. Plenty of power, and they're only two cylinders long which would move the CG both forward and downward.

Yes, Stephen, I believe it's been for sale for a time and selling racers is always more difficult than a road car.
He says there are no other genuine historic mid 1970’s production sports cars racing in Oz so he's forced to race against F1, F2 cars etc. It obviously wouldn't qualify for class Sb.

I reckon he should convert it back to a road car.

Offline StephenH

« Reply #5 on: Sunday,May 03, 2020, 11:26:24 PM »
I agree, return it to the road but keep it exercised on the track in regularity and sprint events, don't 'race' it.
Would be easy to add to the club permit type schemes as long as there is some evidence of past registration in the same spec.
In Victoria it actually falls into a fairly sweet spot for continuation vehicles and doesn't need as many ADR (Australian Design Rules for the non-Aussies) items ticked off even for full rego.
Stephen
54/1690 1969 S2

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
« Reply #6 on: Monday,May 04, 2020, 02:14:25 AM »
Yes, I thought it's an interesting car from the perspective that it was able to be registered . . and that he's maintained more or less the stock drive train, though the gearbox may well have that straight cut close ratio gear set - don't know.
The owner tells me the 807 engine was at 2.2 litre capacity at one point.

Other than those who consider originality to be sacrosanct, everyone will have their own philosophy on where to draw the line on modifications.

It's a funny world. I rather like the idea of a Zetec but always baulk at the extra weight and what that might do to the balance in an S2. To me, that balance is worth something.
Heck, there's people out there who shoehorn in an Alfa or Nissan V6 and they go like the clappers.

F'rinstance, if you're going to a 47 type rear end like this one or Jon Lexau's, why not install a Subaru boxer engine. Plenty of power, and they're only two cylinders long which would move the CG both forward and downward.

Yes, Stephen, I believe it's been for sale for a time and selling racers is always more difficult than a road car.
He says there are no other genuine historic mid 1970’s production sports cars racing in Oz so he's forced to race against F1, F2 cars etc. It obviously wouldn't qualify for class Sb.

I reckon he should convert it back to a road car.
This is a gorgeous looking race car. I love the uncompromising suspension geometry and the massive slick tyres.

2.2 litres from the Renaul 807 engine? I would very much like to know more about this regarding power and torque output, but especially about reliability. Does anyone know something about it? I thought 2,0 litres was the maximum for such an engine. The fastest Renault Alpine A110 in period specification, which I know from Germany has 2,0 litres and around 200 HP. AFAIK 100 HP/litre is near the maximum from this Renault OHV engine. Last possible upgrade is the Gordini DOHC head, which can help produce 230 HP from the 807 engine with 1,8 litres. That means almost 130 HP per litre.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #7 on: Monday,May 04, 2020, 05:24:47 AM »
Hi Mecky,

I don't know much about the 2.2 litre engine except to say it obviously puts the liners outside the block at each end.
The block was welded up as part of the mod but in service, the block cracked. He started again but with more weld metal under the liners for strength. There was lots of distortion which required everything to be line bored or milled flat. Apparently the second revision worked OK and was reliable.

A mate of mine acquired an ex "East Africa Safari" Alpine A110 which had the factory 1800 kit. The engine was pretty worn and he rebuilt it with a Ferry 1860 kit. Because this uses a 84 mm bore, the liners are re-spaced which also moves the rods away from the centre of their respective bores. This all seemed to work fine.

I recall lining up beside him during a sprint event.
I think we all recognise that a Europa gets off the line better than many cars, but this Alpine made it look like I was standing still.