Author Topic: WTB Map Pocket  (Read 724 times)

Offline TheKid#9

WTB Map Pocket
« on: Tuesday,April 28, 2020, 08:13:29 PM »
Hey Everyone,

Yes, I know it has been a long time. All is well with myself, my family and my Europa.

I wanted to see if anyone had a map pocket for sale or know where I could hunt one down? I've always wanted one in my europa between my seats to put papers, maps and whatever else I might think of in it. I think it would finish it off nicely.

Thanks and Be Safe,

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: WTB Map Pocket
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,April 29, 2020, 02:31:01 PM »
They are very simple and not very big.

It would be easier to make one out of ply or fibreglass, and trim it to suit your interior, black or oatmeal.

I have made 4 glove boxes for the dash out of 4mm ply and trimmed them internally to match, and they are much better than the cardboard originals.

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,April 29, 2020, 03:38:02 PM »
They are very simple and not very big.

It would be easier to make one out of ply or fibreglass, and trim it to suit your interior, black or oatmeal.

I have made 4 glove boxes for the dash out of 4mm ply and trimmed them internally to match, and they are much better than the cardboard originals.

Yeah, I thought about just making one honestly but thought I'd see if anyone has one that would sell me quick.

Thanks,

Offline 3929R

« Reply #3 on: Monday,May 18, 2020, 09:24:49 PM »
If you make one, please post some pics. I've been thinking of the same thing and would like to see what you come up with.

In other cars I've used a simple generic cubby from eBay or Amazon, attached to the carpet with velcro. I'd prefer a non-permanent solution but Velcro doesn't stick to my TCS carpet (for some reason, magnets won't hold either ;) ).
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline 4129R

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,May 19, 2020, 11:33:04 AM »
If you make one, please post some pics. I've been thinking of the same thing and would like to see what you come up with.

In other cars I've used a simple generic cubby from eBay or Amazon, attached to the carpet with velcro. I'd prefer a non-permanent solution but Velcro doesn't stick to my TCS carpet (for some reason, magnets won't hold either ;) ).

The originals are held in place with 4 rivnuts in the map pocket and 4 short bolts through the carpet held to the hardboard frame. The frame is held to the bulkhead with 3 long thin screws into plastic fixings in the fibreboard. 

Offline Sherman Kaplan

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,May 20, 2020, 03:47:21 PM »
I searched, but could not find one so I decided to make one.   I first wondered if a map pocket from an Esprit would work.  I found an inexpensive one on Ebay.   Unfortunately, the Esprit one was just to large.  However, it did provide me with a basic pattern.  I took off the cover and started cutting the plastic base.  I cut it quite a bit and glued parts together.  I then covered my finished product with the same foam backing I had used on the dash top.   I found a supplier in the UK that provides leather pieces for the Europa center console and map pocket.   Their name is JF Customs.  Here is a link to their ebay store:  http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/J-F-CUSTOMS/LOTUS-/_i.html?_nkw=lotus+europa&submit=Search&_fsub=1153129016&_sid=668506186

FYI, they call the map pocket an oddment box.  I didn't need the center console cover so I contacted them and asked if they would sell just the oddment box cover.  They agreed.  The cover has the french stitching, which matches my dash cover.   If you can sew you could probably make the cover yourself.     Joji Tokumoto, aka Grumblebuns and I were exchanging emails regarding a part he needed that I had.  He had a map pocket and kindly sent it to me to examine (I wish I could have kept it, but I did return it).   I used it for a template.  The skin that JF Customs sent was a shade smaller than the original so my homemade item is  bit smaller, but I don't think it is noticeable.   I have not attached it yet to the carpet as I'm still working on the restoration.  I was going to try Velcro,  but if it won't stick I'll have to come up with something else.  Here are some pictures.

Sherman

Offline 4129R

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,May 21, 2020, 10:41:50 AM »
Not cheap, but looks better made than the originals.
« Last Edit: Monday,May 25, 2020, 12:09:55 AM by 4129R »

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #7 on: Sunday,May 24, 2020, 08:03:41 PM »
Thanks for the write up Sherman, I appreciate that very much.

I have not been on Banks Europa website in years and didn't even think of going on the website. That is a little too much for my blood. I might try and make one myself when I find the time.