Author Topic: '73 TC on BaT  (Read 991 times)

Offline BDA

'73 TC on BaT
« on: Saturday,April 04, 2020, 11:57:43 AM »
Looks like a good platform for a restoration: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-lotus-europa-twin-cam-5/

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
Re: '73 TC on BaT
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,April 04, 2020, 05:50:39 PM »
There's a hitch hiker in photo# 59...on top of the brake drum!

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,April 04, 2020, 08:30:14 PM »
You do have a good eye, Lou!!!

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,April 07, 2020, 08:19:58 PM »
BDA:  I think I am going to invite that guy @poleposition from BAT to my next party.  :BEER3: Or teach him the difference between "break" and "brake"!  Man, I guess the coronavirus has gotten to him or he is trying to suppress Twin Cam prices till he can afford one. I wonder how many unfinished projects does he have sitting in his yard. LOL! Wirewheel.com is the dealer.  They sell some pretty serious Loti.

https://www.wirewheel.com/inventory/available/

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,April 07, 2020, 09:28:25 PM »
Chassis looks rough to me.  The lower "T" section seems to be perforated.  The same may be true of where the "Y" section joins at the rear.  I have asked the seller to comment.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,April 08, 2020, 06:23:28 AM by jbcollier »

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,April 07, 2020, 11:32:44 PM »
I've not had my brakes apart yet,  but it looks like the lower pad retaining pin on the right front disc caliper is missing to me.

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,April 08, 2020, 02:03:00 AM »
There's a hitch hiker in photo# 59...on top of the brake drum!

I've just had a look, primarily to find the hitch hiker!

the Europa looks like a good project  :D

Mark

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,April 08, 2020, 09:49:16 AM »
BDA:  I think I am going to invite that guy @poleposition from BAT to my next party.  :BEER3: Or teach him the difference between "break" and "brake"!  Man, I guess the coronavirus has gotten to him or he is trying to suppress Twin Cam prices till he can afford one. I wonder how many unfinished projects does he have sitting in his yard. LOL! Wirewheel.com is the dealer.  They sell some pretty serious Loti.

https://www.wirewheel.com/inventory/available/

Just saw where @poleposition replied. I had thought about saying something snarky about him but thought better of it and now I'm even more glad I didn't since he redeemed himself. Hopefully, his spelling has improved too! For that matter, mine could use A LOT of improvement too!  :)

I replied to JB's comment about the frame on BaT.

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,April 08, 2020, 07:08:45 PM »
It does look like a good project car to me but I can't take anymore vehicles on or I'll be divorced. I'm still tempted to risk the odd older Esprit however.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #9 on: Friday,April 10, 2020, 01:29:08 PM »
Perforated chassis and an engine of unknown condition, seems a bit rich to me at 12.6K and change.

Offline BDA

« Reply #10 on: Friday,April 10, 2020, 01:56:34 PM »
I was surprised at the price, too. Maybe, hopefully, the market for Europas is heating up. When I compare this car that needs a lot of work to this one (https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-lotus-europa-twin-cam-3/) which was sold two and a half years ago and which is a well sorted, well executed modified car, it doesn't make much sense, but then I continually underestimate value of originality and those two and a half years might have helped too.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #11 on: Friday,April 10, 2020, 02:31:19 PM »
Jeez I need to put my TC engine back together and forget about putting a zetec in it...

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #12 on: Friday,April 10, 2020, 05:49:26 PM »
Original also goes for more than modified.

Not to say you shouldn't modify.  Just remember the value is going down while the costs go up ;-)

Offline BDA

« Reply #13 on: Friday,April 10, 2020, 07:56:48 PM »
I would hope that the reason somebody modified their car, it would be because it made the car more like he wanted it rather than some hope of making it more valuable.

At the first LOG I took my car to (not on a trailer), I won third place in the "people's choice concours." There were several very nice examples of TCs and TCSs but I humbly thought mine was nicer than that third place would imply. For the next LOG I polished everything I could: header tank, the oil tank, the stainless steel headers, etc. In short, my car looked about as it ever did. I got another third place in the "people's choice concous" again! In frustration, I wondered what I would have to do to win or at least do better than third! After a few minutes, I figured that whatever it would take, I didn't want to do it. I had built my car the way I wanted it! After that, it no longer bothered me how it might be viewed. I will be completely happy if I don't even get a third at the next LOG.

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #14 on: Friday,April 10, 2020, 10:59:50 PM »
I think it depends on the modification. If it is bolt-on and you keep the original parts and shouldn't devalue the car.  I have a 123 electronic ignition but kept the original. The same with the upgraded exhaust manifold, crankshaft, radiator, rear links ect...  Something like fender flares or something you can't undo is a completely different story. I have every original piece in great shape if someone wanted to restore it back to original.  Of course I don't plan on selling it because I bought it to drive and enjoy.   The last couple of Europas that sold for big dollars ($40,000+) all had upgraded mechanical bits but still maintained the integrity of the original design and that didn't devalue the car what soever.