Author Topic: Otter switch fitment  (Read 452 times)

Offline Fotog

• 72 Twin Cam
Otter switch fitment
« on: Friday,October 04, 2019, 08:49:16 PM »
I did my first drive in 33 years about a week ago.  Not much smoke; seemed powerful; tires aren't too round though, we'll need some new ones.  Kind of like a bad shopping cart. It's a Twin Cam.

But after about 3-1/2 miles I pulled into the garage and heard water flowing.  The Otter switch had popped-out of the radiator.  I have a new one from Ray because the existing one was not wired and the only control to the fan is a switch under the dashboard.  Seemed not ideal, so I had made the purchase.  But my impression is that the new rubber grommet fits tightly in the radiator, but the switch not so tight in the grommet.  Should I be concerned?  Is there some sealant compound that I should use?  Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks, Vince

Offline jbcollier

Re: Otter switch fitment
« Reply #1 on: Friday,October 04, 2019, 10:20:40 PM »
I'm not a big "fan" of the push-in otter switches.  At the very least, safety wire them in place.  Better yet, solder on an M22 x 1.5 nut and use a threaded switch.

Offline Steve_Lindford

• The time is...
« Reply #2 on: Friday,October 04, 2019, 11:54:11 PM »
Aren't you supposed to have one of these that holds it in place??

Offline Fotog

• 72 Twin Cam
« Reply #3 on: Saturday,October 05, 2019, 05:41:07 AM »
Good suggestions.  I'll get a brass nut of that size to be ready for when I have the opportunity to take the radiator out, and in the meantime wire it in place somehow.

Interesting to see that, Steve!  It has an OEM look about it, but I don't see it in the parts diagram.

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,October 05, 2019, 05:49:47 AM »
I don't believe there was any retaining mechanism other than friction on the grommet. I think Steve's part is probably his PO's version of JB's safety wire.

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,October 05, 2019, 07:47:29 AM »
Congrats on the first drive in 33 years, btw!  :beerchug:
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Fotog

• 72 Twin Cam
« Reply #6 on: Saturday,October 05, 2019, 07:58:20 AM »
Ja!...thanks.  It was pretty cool.  Truth be told, I had driven it around the block a couple times. But I actually have a legal license plate on it now so I took it out on a major road and got up to about 45 mph.  Pretty vibraty though, so I'm looking forward to some new tires.  I still need inspection before I'm 100% legal, so I need to reinstall seat belts and deal with a Frayed End on the handbrake cable.  Funny about this Google Voice to Text. You never know what it may choose to capitalize or not.

Watching my progress is like watching paint dry, because I'm pretty busy getting a house ready for sale.