Author Topic: Wanted - Lotus Elan parking brake pads  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Europa73

Wanted - Lotus Elan parking brake pads
« on: Sunday,April 15, 2018, 02:24:54 PM »
Hi all,

I know its not Europa related - but - fell off my chair when I seen the price of replacement parking brake pads :-(

Anyone out there with a spare set of plus 2 parking / emergency brake pads?

Don't need to be new - as long as they have some good meat left on them.

Many thanks,
also restoring 69 Elan +2 and driving a 1975 TR6

Offline Bodzer

Re: Wanted - Lotus Elan parking brake pads
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,April 15, 2018, 10:07:31 PM »
Shh. Don’t tell anyone.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F122109702255

I’ve bought off this guy before and he initially sent me the wrong ones. However, he quickly corrected the mistake and sent the right pads.

Offline Bodzer

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,April 15, 2018, 10:29:00 PM »
Ha!

I just noticed you’re in Toronto (from a previous post). I’m just on my way back from there now. I know you’re used to the weather but those were pretty hairy conditions.

If it doesn’t work out with eBay, I’ll have a root around the garage for a set. I’ll bring them across the next time I’m over.

Regards,

Pete

Offline s2europa

« Reply #3 on: Monday,April 16, 2018, 07:25:59 AM »
« Last Edit: Monday,April 16, 2018, 08:54:59 PM by s2europa »

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Monday,April 16, 2018, 09:19:27 AM »
Or these new: https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/SJ026J0001.htm (About US$26)
Sadly those aren't the parking brake pads, they are the rear brake pads which go inside the caliper. The handbrake pads dangle below the caliper in true Heath-Robinson afterthought fashion and tend to wear with suspension movement pulling the actuating rods.

Incidentally you can reline them yourself. If you take your old ones apart you'll find that the metal part has a shallow "socket" and the pads are shaped with a spigot to slot inside this. There's a hole going through from the centre of this circular "socket" which allows your excess glue to exit and give you a nice tight bond. Clamp them in the vice with a decent epoxy and they're good to go.

Making the pad linings is very messy but I started doing mine back in the 80s when they were harder to come by and the alternative was no car until I found them.  I wouldn't reline a normal brake pad but these don't see any great heat and in almost 40yrs I've never had one fail.