Author Topic: Who's in the middle of a restoration?  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Richard48Y

Re: Who's in the middle of a restoration?
« Reply #15 on: Friday,February 05, 2021, 07:07:48 PM »
Not "In the middle" but buying parts in advance, learning more about TS engines.
The basic car is no more complicated than my Spitfire, the 'Glass bodywork is not new to me but is always a nuisance.

Online BDA

« Reply #16 on: Friday,February 05, 2021, 07:10:06 PM »
So, are you getting ready for a restoration? How complete a restoration?

Offline TCS4605R

« Reply #17 on: Friday,February 05, 2021, 07:42:20 PM »
I started the restoration of 4605R in 1992 - on again and off again.  Have drivers door to fit and finish then start painting.  Started with bent frame and a lot of broken fiberglass.  Now have new frame, body bolted to frame, bottom of body painted w/ black epoxy - so finish the drivers side door and painting to do.  Then rebuild an engine that has not been run since 1990, add new wiring, redo the seats, carpet, headliner, install suspension, fuel tanks - am I too old for this?

Tom

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #18 on: Friday,February 05, 2021, 08:18:12 PM »
Like seemingly all cars bought on-line mine turned out to need a bit more work than hoped for from the description.
So it's now a complete frame-up job.  :headbanger:
I plan to do a few minor upgrades while I am at it.
Nothing new visibly, except perhaps some driving lamps.
I will be putting in twin MC's with balance bar and dual fuel tanks.
Already have an overbuilt TS engine with Webers so that is covered once refreshed.

Judging by many comments here I am lucky to be living in a very rural area with little traffic.
But I will still need to see if I can find one of those "We will post your bail" insurance schemes once it's finished.  :help:

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #19 on: Friday,February 05, 2021, 09:43:51 PM »
What do you mean?

It ends?

Seriously?

I must be doing something wrong, sigh...

Currently I’m working on vented discs, inertia-reel seat-belts, balancing my half-shafts, and a bigger cooling fan.  More to follow, always.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #20 on: Saturday,February 06, 2021, 04:39:40 AM »
Nice Kram! Any chassis pics?  Boxster transaxle?
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Dan C 2624R

« Reply #21 on: Saturday,February 06, 2021, 08:16:14 AM »
My 1973 TC, Lagoon Blue 2624R, is in a longer term restoration than planned.  Started years back but held off the major deconstruction as I couldn't devote the time necessary a few years back.  My main concern was I did not want to try selling a kit car (Believe me, all the parts are there) if I did decide to sell it on to someone that had the drive to fininsh it.  Mever wanted to Part it out.  As it sits it is 99%+ complete, even has the ashtray. 

I am second owner.  13,675 original miles.  First Owner was my High School wood shop teacher.  I do have memories of the car being driven to school.
Car was sitting under a large Oak tree for years.  Last on the road 1978 to 81.  Head was off and new valves installed but looks like it never ran again.  Cork valve cover gasket is like-new.

Full Body off is in slow motion progress.  Body has been stripped down and is close to removal.  Wiring harness is complete, untouched and unmolested.  An AM/FM eight track was installed with magnificent Sparkomatic Wedge Speakers.  Antennae was a ribbon ran around front plenum perimeter.

I have boxed and labeled parts and taken pictures.  I am sure when reassembly starts, I'm certain to have my "what were you thinking" moments trying to see what I should have labeled or taken pictures of.

Good part is I am committed to finishing but life is getting in the way a bit.  COVID is not helping as we have 96 y/o mother-in-law with us but it will get done, just in smaller pieces and a slower pace for now.

Dan in NJ.

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #22 on: Saturday,February 06, 2021, 08:29:25 AM »
Europa V-8. Encroachment of the engine nose, (water pump) into the interior is about 8", near flush with the seat sides, not that bad. The gray center cover comes off as do the red side panels, right panel to the spare tire/header, left to the gas tank/header. Engine encroachment was really set by the half-shaft location, placing the nose of the engine where it is. Had to cut some of the upper frame "Y" away for cylinder head clearance, but this area will be gusseted. Bottom of frame is really not modified, surprised that the engine damper, belts, pulleys, water pipes, etc all fit. The alternator was a tough nut to crack, it's mounted off the engine outside the frame rail. The belt passes thru a slot in the frame near the front radius/trailing arm pivot. 

2004 Porsche Boxster G86 5 speed, whether it holds up to the torque of the V-8 is still an unknown, although where I bought it from the mechanic there stated he used this trans in his Boxster with a 350ci GM motor with no issues. Will see. The ratios and spreads are near the same as the stock TCS Europa 4 speed, 5%+/- taller overall with a .83 5th, 3.56 diff. The motor should be able to handle. I'll have better chassis pictures once I get the body off in the next month or so. 

Online BDA

« Reply #23 on: Saturday,February 06, 2021, 08:45:48 AM »
JB - I think you’re right. At least mine will likely never be finished and that seems to be pretty common.

Kram - you and Clifton have very expansive imaginations!

Dan - good luck with your restoration and congratulations on your ashtray and to your mother in law!

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #24 on: Saturday,February 06, 2021, 04:18:43 PM »
Kram,
You are ducting air into the "closing" plate and through the chassis? More details......?

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #25 on: Sunday,February 07, 2021, 06:56:59 AM »
Yes, I built a scoop into the closing plate that feels air between the main steel frame box section and fabricated the fiberglass closure plate, screwed to the body. The inlet opening is the width of the box section and about 1.5 " tall. I have not calculated the amount of air that will be passed but passing some air can't hurt. I do have a near totally flat bottom now, better for down force! LOL

Anyway, the rear aluminum angled piece shown (bolted to the alternator support bracket) is meant to pick up some of the surrounding under car air, hopefully creating a venturi effect and pull additional air up onto the front of the engine. How much air gets thru the tunnel is questionable, since the inlet area at the front is in a low pressure area. I tried to negate the frontal low pressure area by placing a variable flap opening in the bodywork in front of the tunnel inlet, aft of the radiator.  A spring hinged flap drops down when the radiator fan runs, feeding pressurize air to force feed the tunnel.  Of course this air will be radiator heated discharge, but venturi air gets cooler as compressed, so maybe the net result is somewhat cooler air with increased flow to the motor?

I'm sure someone can poke holes in all this, but was fun thinking outside the preferable box. If I was so inclined I guess I could do some calc's and try to qualify this mess, but would probably need a wind tunnel to verify. I just don't think my Stihl blower would be sufficient. Comments appreciated.

Online BDA

« Reply #26 on: Sunday,February 07, 2021, 07:33:23 AM »
Nice sheet metal work, Kram!

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #27 on: Sunday,February 07, 2021, 09:24:33 AM »
Nice work and thinking Kram!

Offline Jmarkusic

« Reply #28 on: Sunday,February 07, 2021, 05:54:50 PM »
4397R (ex Andy harwood) is still sitting waiting for me to get to it.  A couple of cars are ahead of it.  However, at least part of the Europa is moving forward.  I decided to keep Andy’s work to install the vertec so I had this extra TC.  It is being rebuilt and installed in the 1975 Titan Mk9B chassis and am doing a sports racer conversion on it.  I actually had installed a TC in my Titan Mk5 many years ago and so it just seemed...natural.  And being part pack rat, I still had the  modified Datsun version SU’s with their custom needles.  I also have a 1969 Datsun 2000 half way through its body off.   I tell myself not to work on the Europa until the other two are done but......I miss an Europa. 

Offline Rainer

« Reply #29 on: Sunday,February 28, 2021, 11:08:02 AM »
Since 3 weeks the body is back on, so i am probably at 60% now. Last year have been a bit complicated and kept me away from working on then lotus, but since November i am back on track.
New target is autumn this year, for an event in Belgium, to meet with two other Europa drivers.