Author Topic: 807 Hemi Question  (Read 5500 times)

Offline kerrywittig

807 Hemi Question
« on: Wednesday,October 19, 2016, 02:25:09 PM »
What year or series or production period or country was the Europa available with a factory fitted 807-20 "hemi" engine?

Me
« Last Edit: Thursday,October 20, 2016, 09:37:56 AM by kerrywittig »

Offline Lotus 47

Re: 807 Hemi Question
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,October 19, 2016, 02:29:08 PM »
NEVER

Offline kerrywittig

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,October 19, 2016, 02:35:12 PM »
Interesting....I have a 1970 S2 with an 807-20 that was installed in the car previous Nov. of 1974 and in fact even has the frame factory altered to provide clearance for the cast iron factory headers......odd....

When was the 807-20 in production?....Anyone know?

I read somewhere, that there was, a Swiss Lotus dealer that ordered, I believe, 15 Europa’s with 807 engines.....but the description of certain other items on these cars does not match this particular car.........such as, clear/white front turn/parking lenses versus the standard yellow.........of course these could have been changed I guess. It's just that the clearancing to the driver’s side frame "fork" to accommodate the headers is disconcerting. It is a factory deal....I have looked at it from every angle , looking for there to be an "obvious" cut, bend, re-shape, or weld to display a clue of it being "aftermarket"........it looks very much factory.

Me
« Last Edit: Wednesday,October 19, 2016, 02:51:21 PM by kerrywittig »

Offline Lotus 47

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,October 19, 2016, 02:49:43 PM »
An 807-20 is probably from an R12 Gordini. It should have twin side draft 45DCOE Webers and produce around 125hp.

The cast iron headers are a 4 into 2 design which do require frame mods, but I seriously doubt the mods were done at Lotus. Check with Andy Graham. He will confirm the original engine type and number for your car.

The headers shown in the attached picture look the same as an R15/17 with an 807 type engine.

Offline kerrywittig

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,October 19, 2016, 02:56:39 PM »
Yeah, That's the engine and headers............so available prior to 1975?

How do I find Andy Graham?

The frame on mine is carved out to accomodate the headers...The odd thing is that ALL the other owner mods done on this barnfind were horrific (interior, hinges, fuel pump, battery placement, etc.) but the frame alteration is top-notch, I kid you not, it is very factory... I'll post pix when I get home in a month or two............

Thx, Me

« Last Edit: Wednesday,October 19, 2016, 03:01:18 PM by kerrywittig »

Offline Lotus 47

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,October 19, 2016, 03:02:29 PM »
The original engine number is stamped on the chassis ID plate so it should be easy to determine that the engine in your car doesn't match the ID plate.

The engine number ID plate is on the LH side of the block just forward of the water pump inlet. It may be a perforated plate like the sample photo, or it maybe a stamped aluminium plate. Either way it will have 4 digits signifying the engine number.

About 5,000 807-20 engines were built as far as I know.

Offline Lotus 47

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,October 19, 2016, 03:05:28 PM »
AGraham@lotuscars.com

He is the Lotus archivist and can issue a Certificate of Provenance.

Post pictures of this mystery engine when you get a chance. It should go like a rocket!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,October 19, 2016, 03:16:47 PM »
Never, officially but there may have been one or two done.  See the September 1992 issue of Cars and Car Conversions for an article on one (rebuilt at Banks).

Lots and lots of Europas received cross-flow transplants from right when they were new till now.

Here are links to the Swiss brochure:

https://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Lotus-Europa/i-6wcvGLd/A

https://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Lotus-Europa/i-M6rbSp4/A

Offline kerrywittig

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,October 19, 2016, 03:42:01 PM »
Found this on Wikipedia..................

Non-factory custom specials

"Throughout its life, the Europa attracted the attention of many non-Lotus automotive customising businesses who offered "special" versions in small numbers to the public. Among these was the Swiss Lotus importer, who made two special versions of the S2 fitted with the Renault 16 TS type 807 engine, the "Europa Hemi 807" and the fuel injected "Europa Black Shadow 807". The Hemi 807 had 105 PS (77 kW) SAE and could reach 200 km/h (124 mph), while the Black Shadow had 137 PS (101 kW) on tap. The Black Shadow also received a five-speed gearbox.[15] These cars had a wider track, special wheels and stickers, white indicator lights up front, and featured extractor vents high on the side panel behind the rear door. The fuel injection system was from Kugelfischer."

My vehicle has NO injection, nor a 5 speed, white lenses or any "external/body modifications that I could find.

It is the chassis modification that baffles me. I build off-road chassis's (spellcheck).....this is a factory mod.........really it is very much a mod that came on this frame......I've owned a few Europa's since 1974 to present and I have never seen this on another....just looks too "stock", too factory to me. ALL other modifications to this vehicle were amatuer at best.........laughable, to say the least and then there is this chassis artwork!!  Foose and Kindig would be impressed......

Me

I'll get pix and contact Andy once I return home and get this figured out......maybe. 
« Last Edit: Wednesday,October 19, 2016, 03:48:44 PM by kerrywittig »

Offline Lotus 47

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,October 19, 2016, 04:49:21 PM »
The Lotus chassis is very straight forward cut, folded and welded steel. Adding a cut-out and welding on a flange isn't particularly difficult. The 47 chassis has cut-outs made in this fashion. They are simply fabricated. See photo below.

It is a nice surprise to hear someone has put some effort into installing an 807. The R16TS 807-01 engines are plentiful in Australia and I don't think I have EVER seen an Australian Europa with a stock 697 engine , but they do exist.

The conversion usually incorporates a"cut-out" on the LH top chassis flange which has been created with a very big hammer. Ugly!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,October 19, 2016, 04:54:59 PM »
No need to alter the frame to fit a cross-flow.  You do have to use a tubular header though.

Offline kerrywittig

« Reply #11 on: Thursday,October 20, 2016, 09:27:09 AM »
 :ttiwwp:
No need to alter the frame to fit a cross-flow.  You do have to use a tubular header though.

Mine did need the chassis clearanced and it certainly appears to have been done at the factory, so it appears....
Me
« Last Edit: Sunday,November 13, 2016, 04:53:36 PM by kerrywittig »

Offline kerrywittig

« Reply #12 on: Sunday,November 13, 2016, 04:51:33 PM »

Well..........here are pix.........

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #13 on: Monday,November 14, 2016, 06:31:39 AM »
Can you post close up photos of the frame cut-out?  From the photos above it looks to have been nicely done but not factory.

Offline kerrywittig

« Reply #14 on: Monday,November 14, 2016, 04:44:14 PM »
Can you post close up photos of the frame cut-out?  From the photos above it looks to have been nicely done but not factory.

What about the cut indicates to you it is not factory?

Me