Author Topic: Restoration of 2358R  (Read 168748 times)

Offline 3929R

Re: Restoration of 2358R
« Reply #1185 on: Sunday,August 25, 2019, 10:50:06 AM »
Great stories! Great pictures!  :beerchug: :trophy:
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1186 on: Sunday,August 25, 2019, 07:25:39 PM »
Another great LOG39 day. Wonderful weather and lot’s of Lotus cars took off at 8am for the rally while the other half of us (like me) had a leisurely breakfast and caught up with friends new and old. Got to chat with Martin Donnelly and then Bob Dance. Moved outside and spent time talking to various Lotus owners talking about their cars and what lead them to the models they own.

I like Sundays, it’s more relaxed and you can have a different type of conversation with everyone.

Ted and Chris came back from the rally convinced they had won or at least placed second (They found out at the banquet later that night they had won first place). 

We took off for the Thompson track to have lunch at the club house and then watch the auto cross event. There were two Europa’s, and because I’m partial to yellow cars I took a few photos.

The drive to and from the track takes about 35 minutes and I relished the additional seat time in my Europa as I’m really enjoying the handling of the car. Have I mentioned the power range of the engine? Great low end torque and the power band just keeps going.

Back at the host hotel more time for conversations on Twin Cam engines, Weber carbs, suspension and the favorite topic of the shift tubes and how to improve the Europa shifting. Tony Vaccaro said to me he never drove a Europa with a shifter that worked well. I told him mine worked fine, once I understood what to expect.

Drinks at the bar with Ray & Linda and then dinner with my road trip friends. We discussed our revised plan for the next two days of back road driving.

Tomorrow will be A great road trip day.
« Last Edit: Sunday,August 25, 2019, 07:45:20 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline BDA

« Reply #1187 on: Sunday,August 25, 2019, 07:52:22 PM »
Sounds like a great way to cap off a LOG! I guess the next adventure is the trip home?

Safe travels to all the LOG attendees!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1188 on: Tuesday,August 27, 2019, 03:14:06 AM »
Our group (Ted, Chris, Bruce & Debbie and me) in three Elan’s and one Europa had breakfast together at 8am and we were on the road by 8:45am. Beautiful day, cool and crisp with fluffy clouds. As usual, our routes are all back roads to have as little traffic as possible and enjoy the views and the driving.

We had decided to go visit F40 Motor Sports. It was not exactly a route to take us back home but what the heck, all of us watch chasing classic cars and we might be lucky to see Wayne and hopefully Roger. 1 1/2 hours later we pull into F40 motor sports. We met Chris’ brother there in an NSX and had a number of conversations. The people inside the show room had seen all these Lotus’ pulled up and parked and wondered why we hadn’t come in, so they came outside to us. Mike introduced himself as the head of sales for F40 and asked about our cars and what we were up to. He said Wayne happened to be here today and would enjoy meeting us and Roger was working in the garage.

All Debbie had to hear was Roger was in the garage and she peeled off to see him. After a few minutes of conversation with Mike I also went over the the garage and we chatted with Roger for a fairly long time. He was a hoot! Great guy and I told him his parts in the TV show are my favorites. We took a group picture with him and then Wayne appeared. We all chatted on the reason why a bunch of Lotus’ were together and he wanted to hear about our cars. Then we did another group picture with Wayne and our cars and finally went into the showroom to look at what was for sale. A few of us bought t-shirts for a longer memory of our experience.

Our destination for the end of the day was Poughkeepsie NY (none of us had ever been there, which is why we picked it) and along the way we stopped at a diner for lunch, a covered bridge and then Lime Rock Park (race track) which brought back old memories for Bruce, Chris and I as we had all raced here at some point of our lives.

Chris took off on his own as he wanted to get home from this point and left our group.

We drove meandering country roads through Connecticut and NY until we got the our hotel (the third Holiday Inn Express on our trip, they really are nice hotels and include a great breakfast) in Poughkeepsie. Debbie picked a restaurant from the list the hotel provided and we all freshened up and took an Uber to Shadows on the Hudson. Fantastic view, great food and great friends!

2358R is running great! Hasn’t missed a beat and it handles like it’s on rails. Oil pressure, engine temp, alternator charging and idle are all what they should be. Lots of HP for this car and it is a joy to be behind the wheel.  Much different experience than my Elan’s and a lot of fun to drive. The speedo cable broke (I forgot to lube it when I installed it so operator error) but otherwise everything works as it should. I’m very happy with the results. And I’ll mention again, it shifts very well now that I know the pattern........

Tomorrow is our last day of Lotus road trip. Looking forward to a few more adventures.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,August 28, 2019, 03:36:05 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #1189 on: Tuesday,August 27, 2019, 04:06:34 AM »
Wish I could have been there.  I am glad I got to ride with you all on the way to Log.
I’ve 700 more miles to go to Fort Lauderdale.  The car is running great.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1190 on: Tuesday,August 27, 2019, 04:12:17 AM »
Paul, we miss you on this section of the road trip! Chris has kept us updated on your progress and glad to hear your making it back to FL safely. Are your driving highways or secondary roads?

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #1191 on: Tuesday,August 27, 2019, 04:15:39 AM »

All Debbie had to hear was Roger was in the garage and she peeled off to see him. After a few minutes of conversation with Mike I also went over the the garage and we chatted with Roger for a fairly long time. He was a hoot! Great guy and I told him his parts in the TV show are my favorites.

I never miss an episode of "The Roger Show".
t
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline BDA

« Reply #1192 on: Tuesday,August 27, 2019, 07:09:03 AM »
You guys are having a great trip! Thanks for the updates and pictures so that we can ride with you a little vicariously. Continued safe travels!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1193 on: Tuesday,August 27, 2019, 10:35:10 AM »
You guys are having a great trip! Thanks for the updates and pictures so that we can ride with you a little vicariously. Continued safe travels!

Well stated BDA,    X2 😀👍👍
Dakazman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1194 on: Tuesday,August 27, 2019, 02:20:42 PM »
Arrived home in Princeton at 4 pm on Tuesday. 6 days after we left and 800 miles of driving for me. Great shake down drive for 2358R and I couldn’t be happier. Ted followed me home and we spoke for a while over ice cold water. This trip would be tough to beat as we all had such a good time doing the entire Lotus road trip.

Our day today started with driving a short distance from the hotel to the parking lot of the Walkway over the Hudson. I had asked the Uber driver last night if there was only one thing we could see while passing through Poughkeepsie, what would he suggest. The walkway was top of his list, so we went.

We were not disappointed. The renovated railroad bridge is 212 feet above the Hudson River and 1.28 miles long. It is the worlds longest elevated pedestrian bridge. We took a long walk across and enjoyed the magnificent views and learned a bit of history along the way. We also reconnected with Ray & Linda (Lotus Cortina) on the bridge and they re-joined the road trip group.

Upon return to the parking lot where our cars were parked, a group of people were admiring our cars and asked if we were on our way to Limerock race track. They were very interested in the Europa.

Driving through small towns, past farm lands and tree lined roads we drove with vigor and enjoyed the views. In the Mohonk Preserve the Mountain View’s were spectacular and at Kerhonkson we stopped to enjoy a longer view. Driving up and down the mountain pass was a lot of fun, especially for this gaggle of Lotus cars.

We stopped in Port Jarvis for a causal pizza lunch before embarking on the last leg of our trip. Entering New Jersey we knew the road trip was near the end and we stopped as a group for one last photo and ice cream in Bridgeville, saying our goodbyes before we split up.

A wonderful road trip and great lasting memories. The Europa was a pleasure to drive for a long several day, multi location trip and excelled at every turn. Bruce drove my Europa for about 50 miles and when we stopped to switch cars he asked if I wanted to trade my Europa for his. He liked it that much. Well, that says it all.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,August 28, 2019, 03:40:29 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #1195 on: Tuesday,August 27, 2019, 02:53:18 PM »
Fantastic to see you had no issues (apart from the hiccup at the start).  I'm sure that was a great relief, though not much of a surprise to most of us with all the care and effort you put in while rebuilding your car.

I'm just starting my Europa (and Lotus!) "journey".  Like many other's I'm also suffering serious Garage envy!

Photo 1 Saturday Just After Test Drive

Photo 2 Wednesday Just before delivery

Photo 3 Wednesday Just After delivery

I'd love to one day go on a similar road trip.  Can't go too far though before I fall of the island, and the weather would be unlikely to be as favourable!

Offline BDA

« Reply #1196 on: Tuesday,August 27, 2019, 04:22:43 PM »
That really was a great trip. I think you'll remember it for a long time - partially because of the problem you had at the beginning (and thank God it happened at the beginning). I always say that it's the things that don't go to plan that makes a memory. And then it was essentially your first drive in your new baby and sharing that with your Lotus friends... I can't imagine it being any better than that! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Congratulations to you and your pals! Well done!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1197 on: Wednesday,August 28, 2019, 03:49:36 AM »
Fantastic to see you had no issues (apart from the hiccup at the start).  I'm sure that was a great relief, though not much of a surprise to most of us with all the care and effort you put in while rebuilding your car.

I'm just starting my Europa (and Lotus!) "journey".  Like many other's I'm also suffering serious Garage envy!

I'd love to one day go on a similar road trip.  Can't go too far though before I fall of the island, and the weather would be unlikely to be as favourable!

I’m laughing at your garage clean up. A “new” sports car always seems to get the right attention. I’ll bet that within a year your garage will only have Lotus related stuff in it as you start the journey of regular maintenance and modifications. Enjoy the journey!
« Last Edit: Wednesday,August 28, 2019, 09:35:01 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1198 on: Wednesday,August 28, 2019, 01:43:58 PM »
Photo of me in my Europa. Can you tell I’m enjoying myself?

Offline BDA

« Reply #1199 on: Wednesday,August 28, 2019, 02:37:36 PM »
Uh... Yeah!  :)