Author Topic: Restoration of 2358R  (Read 168779 times)

Offline BDA

Re: Restoration of 2358R
« Reply #1080 on: Sunday,August 11, 2019, 06:53:03 AM »
I see your Webers are for a front engine too (maybe they all are?). How long a choke cable did you need? Who knows, maybe one day I'll hook up mine!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1081 on: Sunday,August 11, 2019, 07:27:16 AM »
BDA, I think the carbs are all that way. RD sells a 71” cable that is too long by 6 inches, but the ones Moss Motors sells are too short. So I bought the RD cable, soldered on my OEM knob and cut to size.

I could have bought a cable and sheath from a bike shop (much cheaper) but the sheath is made differently and I didn’t know how well it would hold up in an automotive environment. I have bought SS braided cable from bike shops, that works just fine.

Offline brucelotus26r

« Reply #1082 on: Sunday,August 11, 2019, 08:37:57 AM »
When I replaced my choke cable, I used a bike cable and drilled the knob with a 3/32 drill and tapped it with a 4-40 tap and set screwed the cable and  filed the head of the screw off.

Offline BDA

« Reply #1083 on: Sunday,August 11, 2019, 09:23:25 AM »
Thanks, Bruce & Certified! Something to think about...

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #1084 on: Sunday,August 11, 2019, 11:00:02 AM »
Glen, Get some Brasso polish to liven up those switches.

They were originally made of bakealite, a phenol based resin cured as a form of early plastic. I was told by an old friend to use brake fluid and a cotton swab, which works buts, fades after a few weeks.

Brasso is a fine metal polish, however it is recommended for bakealite and will bring back the luster and color.
« Last Edit: Sunday,August 11, 2019, 11:02:53 AM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1085 on: Sunday,August 11, 2019, 09:13:55 PM »
Thanks for the tip Lou. I have this bottle of "Great Knobs" that I have been using for years.  It's a dye that make old knobs look new after two coats and lasts forever.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1086 on: Sunday,August 11, 2019, 09:32:18 PM »
Slow progress again today.  I went to the New Hope auto show to see what cars where there and ended up talking to all my Lotus friends for several hours.  I really needed a break anyway. But got back into the garage late afternoon.

Spent the morning (before going to the car show) measuring the door moldings and researching what might fit. That took most of the morning.
This afternoon I was focused on the last parts of the interior wiring I hadn't finished. I was not able to figure out the wiring for the seat belts and posted a question to find out who had the answer. Dan was thorough and spotted a photo I had posted many months ago that showed the wiring and how it was connected. Assembled everything and finished that part. Thanks again Dan!  Really helped me out. BDA provided a detailed schematic of how to remove the circuit. I just might do that after I  have everything operating and the car running.

Painted a coat of "Great Knobs" on my two switches that had faded.  This black dye works miracles and I have used it before. It's my go-to product for faded knobs and switches.

Inserted the wiring for the doors.  This wiring operates the electric window lifts.  Need to feed one wire with connector one at a time to be able to run all three wires into the tube.

Since I have almost all the engine-bay work completed I figured it was time to put my rear deck lid on and attach the hinges and gas struts.  Needed my beautiful assistant and she was more than willing to come out to the garage to help and catch up on the progress. She did say it looks almost done. Phew. I hope so.......

This coming week is make or break.  I need to have the Europa on the road by the end of the week to do a few days of shake down driving and adjusting before I can even consider driving this to LOG. I'm down to the wire to make this happen. 

Order a spare tire this evening, new door seals from the UK and color coded wire from British wiring as I had run out.  Yup, down to the wire  :FUNNY:

« Last Edit: Sunday,August 11, 2019, 09:37:09 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline BDA

« Reply #1087 on: Sunday,August 11, 2019, 09:46:44 PM »
.... Yup, down to the wire  :FUNNY:

You and Gavin should be ashamed of yourselves!  :)

Offline GavinT

« Reply #1088 on: Monday,August 12, 2019, 12:28:25 AM »
.... Yup, down to the wire  :FUNNY:

You and Gavin should be ashamed of yourselves!  :)

BDA, are you trying to amp up a "Dad joke" competition.  ;D

P.S. Car is looking really good Certified.
Sometimes taking a break is the best thing for the project as well as yourself.
« Last Edit: Monday,August 12, 2019, 07:16:02 AM by GavinT »

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #1089 on: Monday,August 12, 2019, 04:35:41 AM »
Cert, is that rear deck strut system from RD? Shocking how close you are with finishing the wiring.  :FUNNY: "grandfather joke" We are all pulling for you yo finish.

Offline brucelotus26r

« Reply #1090 on: Monday,August 12, 2019, 05:08:46 AM »
After helping Glen all day with the Europa, on the way home I need to stop and take a short brake.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1091 on: Monday,August 12, 2019, 05:13:15 AM »
Thanks for all the continued support guys! I know I’m close but it only takes one thing to bring it all to a dead stop. I’ve prepped my Elan S1 just in case (I know, don’t curse it).

The engine deck lid gas strut system was copied from an OEM bracket. My friend Roman had one out of a TC Europa and let me borrow it to make a copy. Then all I did was order gas struts from McMaster.

My day job is calling me. Time to go back to reality......

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1092 on: Monday,August 12, 2019, 05:15:05 AM »
After helping Glen all day with the Europa, on the way home I need to stop and take a short brake.

That’s a great photo Bruce! Thanks again for the full day of help getting the left door on. Want to come back this week for another day of fun and Europa assembly?

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1093 on: Tuesday,August 13, 2019, 08:33:43 AM »
Squeezing in an hour here and an hour there during the work week. Early mornings or late evenings just to get the easy but time consuming things done.

The horn button for my non-standard steering wheel had a very faded Lotus logo on it. Was kind of period cool, but it was too faded and I just happened to have a vinyl Lotus logo just the right size to replace it......so I did.

Laid out the interior padding for the carpet kit. Wanted to make sure I understood what went where and what holes I needed to cut before I glued it down

The firewall carpet is glued to a piece of fiberboard.  The OEM one was in decent shape although the carpet was faded.  I originally was going to scrape off the old carpet and glue the new one down when I decided it would be just as much work to remove the carpet and prep the fiberboard as it would be to make a new one. Besides, the original one is good for someone else's restoration who is completely missing this piece.

I cut a piece of 1/4 plywood from some stock I had and then traced the carpet pattern onto it. Cut out the areas that needed it with a jigsaw, glued the padding to the plywood and then the carpet to the padding.  Installed a new interior light (from RD Ent.) Connected the power to the light and installed the carpeted firewall panel.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1094 on: Tuesday,August 13, 2019, 09:39:32 AM »
Nice fabrications !
  It’s not only looking great ,but your probably finding a lot more room in your home.  :FUNNY:
Dakazman