Author Topic: Restoration of 2358R  (Read 168716 times)

Offline Certified Lotus

Re: Restoration of 2358R
« Reply #945 on: Wednesday,July 10, 2019, 07:00:14 PM »
Dave, the aluminum bracket is for holding the Odyssesy battery in place. Next on my list is to finish the support bracket installation for the seat belts. Then the stainless steel fuel lines to the fuel tanks, filter, electric fuel pump and Weber’s.

I’m saving the installation of the dash and wiring harness for the weekend when I have enough hours to complete it.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #946 on: Thursday,July 11, 2019, 09:00:40 PM »
I guessed wrong.

While the body was off the chassis I was trying to decide if I should bolt in the seat belt reels and the attached various support tubes/structure that attaches to the body and the rear shocks. I decided that it might be difficult to get everything aligned while the body was off the chassis so I would wait until the chassis was bolted on.

I just spent 4 hours getting most everything assembled, adjusted and tightened. And let me tell you, I should have installed it all before I lowered the body onto the chassis.  The solution would have been to put everything in place and finger tighten all the nuts.  The support tube that bolts to the chassis could have been in place and moved around while lowering the body. So lesson learned for someone else.......

Make sure you use the right bolts for the seat belt reel.  The top bolt has a narrow head in order for the seat belt to be able to reel in completely.  This top bolt also has two spacers that must be installed in the proper order and orientation on the backside of the firewall and inside the bracket frame.

Also installed the clutch cable and the throttle cable.  That was much easier!

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #947 on: Friday,July 12, 2019, 04:57:53 AM »
Wow, it's all coming together. Looks terrific Glen. Looking forward to seeing the finished product at LOG.  :trophy:
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline BDA

« Reply #948 on: Friday,July 12, 2019, 05:00:11 AM »
Don't forget the second nut on the clutch cable. I suppose you could use a lock nut instead but I think originally it had two nuts you jam together.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #949 on: Friday,July 12, 2019, 07:02:59 PM »
Thanks Surf, looking forward to meeting you at LOG and you have good eyes BDA.  Wasn't going to forget the lock nut on the clutch cable but I put one on just to make sure I didn't forget.

If all my assemblies that are supposed to take 45 minutes take 5 hours like today (and yesterday) it will take me another 300 hours to finish this restoration!

I thought the installation of the handbrake multiplier would be fairly easy and even then I had 45 minutes to finish in my mind. Nope. What a nightmare to get it installed.  I innocently put neverseeze on the bolt to prep for installation. First I had the handbrake cable too tight so I could barely reach the threaded hole with the bolt in the multiplier. And the jam nuts holding the cable rod at a certain length was very tight so getting two open end wrenches inside the chassis opening was next to impossible. And then the bottom washers kept falling out of the bolt multiplier. AND THEN I lost the cable inside the chassis and had to get my wife out in the garage (her favorite thing to do) to help snake it back where I could hook it and bring it back up from the bottom of the chassis. There is more, but I wont bore you.

5 freakin hours!   :deadhorse:

Never the less I didn't stop and got the brake, clutch and gas pedals installed. Also installed the left side dash bracket where two switches are installed through the body.

Reinstalled the master cylinder for the brakes. And started adjusting the springs on the front shocks as the car sits too high when I realized I probably need shorter springs. I have AVO coilovers in the front. Anyone know what size spring I need ?

Definitely a two beer day  :beerchug:

« Last Edit: Friday,July 12, 2019, 07:12:40 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline BDA

« Reply #950 on: Friday,July 12, 2019, 08:25:22 PM »
In spite of the seemingly ridiculously long time to do seemingly simple tasks, the car is coming together. Hopefully there will be fewer of those incidents but I think this is really where things start to happen quicker. I'm sure I don't have to remind you of your rule to make progress everyday.

Keep up the good work! You'll be terrorizing the neighborhood before you know it!

:lotus:

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #951 on: Sunday,July 14, 2019, 04:39:10 AM »
Beautiful day in NJ on Saturday. Clear skies, nice breeze and sunny. Low humidity. Took a couple of drives in my Elan S1 to get parts during the day, was hard to come back to the garage to work. But I have a project to complete so I stayed focused!

Riveted the support bar onto the backside of the front bonnet.  That was easy. Hopefully the rest of the day goes like that.

Now that all the body to chassis bolts are all in place I am comfortable putting the Europa back on the lift to work underneath it.

Installed the custom exhaust system I bought from the UK last year (thanks Alex!). It's been in a box in the garage and I dug it out from my storage place and laid out the parts on the floor. As I was studying them closely (why I didn't do that when the package arrived a year ago I'll never know) I realized two things.  The gasket they supplied for the flange was wrong and there was no mounting bracket on the silencer to the transaxle.  Mmmmmm, the bracket missing was a big deal. Need to figure that out.  I'm cursing myself for throwing away the old silencer as I could have made a pattern from the bracket on it and made a new one. Went to Pep Boys with the short end of the exhaust pipe and flange and convinced the nice young lady at the parts counter to hunt through all her exhaust gaskets in the back parts bins to find the right size. She came back to me 10 minutes later with an assortment and found exactly what I needed. The installation went well, just a small alignment issue with the collector pipe that was easily corrected. Everything got installed and all I need now is a bracket to hold the silencer in place.

As suggested by a couple of you, I made a small modification to the lower bell housing plate so it could be held in place with more than one bolt. Some cutting, grinding, painting and then final install. All good.

I'm installing a custom stainless steel braided fuel lines from the fuel tanks to the electric fuel pump and then to the Weber's. Measure everything and drilled two more larger holes for the larger than OEM fuel lines and then installed rubber grommets to prevent metal to metal contact.  Installed all the AN-6 fittings, tighten everything up and added two additional support brackets to prevent unwanted movement in the fuel lines. You should be aware that the new aluminum fuel tanks come with AN-4 fittings so you will need adapters if you want to use larger fuel line for AN-6 fittings. I still haven't decided on the location for the fuel pump so I left lots of braided line to cut later. Need to put the rear luggage box in and see where I can install various pieces of equipment (Coil, Fuel pump, breather tube and oil collection tank) that don't interfere with the box.

While I was under the car checked all cables for possible interference and either zip tied them or used proper mounting brackets.  The emergency brake cables have specific designed brackets that clamp to the chassis to keep them from hanging below the chassis.  I have new ones from RD Enterprises and installed them.

« Last Edit: Monday,July 15, 2019, 03:20:01 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline dakazman

« Reply #952 on: Sunday,July 14, 2019, 05:19:37 AM »
Aughhh, drives in NJ, ...
Yep that’s definitely not the right gasket, even without glasses I can see it.
 The views you provide with that lift are amazing as is the subject.

Is there an extension piece on that tailpipe, I wouldn’t want to see that paint get sooted up. It could be the angle of the picture that is close fit.

Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #953 on: Sunday,July 14, 2019, 05:45:58 AM »
Pretty exhaust! Too bad the muffler didn't have a bracket welded on. That shouldn't be that difficult to to rectify. It's a bummer about the fittings in your tank. I hope that doesn't give you problems down the road!

Stuleslie

« Reply #954 on: Sunday,July 14, 2019, 11:10:23 AM »
Have you thought about covering the large opening below the fuel tanks? I covered them up with 2mm aluminium sheet. I know some might think that there would be less air flow into the engine bay but I did not want to get the bottom of the tanks and the pipe work dirty. I also mounted the fuel pump on the wall down by the right tank. Anyway I have been running the car for the past two summers with no overheating issues.
Stuart

Offline 2766R

« Reply #955 on: Monday,July 15, 2019, 05:01:52 AM »
Might I suggest mounting the back of the silencer (muffler) as I have done.  No welding involved, just a bracket picking up on the transmission isolation mount hardware and a generic exhaust pipe clamp.  I realise you have a 352 transmission just as my Europa was originally equipped but now updated with a 365.  It should make little or no difference.  Just a thought.

Gerry       

Offline seniorchristo

« Reply #956 on: Tuesday,July 16, 2019, 07:53:37 PM »
Glen
What a fabulous restoration! :beerchug: Why did you feel the need to increase the size of the fuel lines?

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #957 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 03:28:51 AM »
My day job has kept me away from my restoration project. But true to form I still had a little time to order various parts I needed as I move through the final steps of getting my Europa back on the road.

To answer a few questions/comments:

Dakazman, the tail pipe extension slides in and out from the silencer. I clamped it all the way in so I don’t hit it with my leg every time I walk by the back of the car while I’m working on it. Will adjust it out further when I’m close to done.

BDA & Senior Christo, I had lots of -6AN fittings and SS hose stocked in my garage (left over from racing days) so I’m trying to use up what I have. I have the same setup on my Elan S1, the fuel tank has a smaller -4AN fitting and I used an adapter to enlarge to -6AN. With an electric fuel pump there aren’t any issues supplying fuel to the weber’s.

Stuleslie, I’m using one of the openings for the fuel tanks to house my large air filter supplying cool air to the larger airbox. I’m even considering adding a small low profile air duct under the car to force air into that area. So blocking it off is not an option for me.

2766R, thanks for the photo of your exhaust mounting point. That is a good idea!

I’ve got time set aside today for more work and parts arriving. Hope to make progress even though it’s going to be close to 100 degrees today.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #958 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 05:23:13 AM »
Certified, Lol
Hope to make progress even though it’s going to be close to 100 degrees today.

Just be sure to drink at least 4 large glasses of water , be cognizant of not sweating. Keep the electrolytes up with a sport drink. I had syncope once from it, it hits you like a brick wall.

Aughh, sore shins , good move !
 Dakazman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #959 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 08:14:59 AM »
No worries Dave. I have a refrigerator in the garage that besides beer also holds my during the day drinks to keep me well hydrated!