Author Topic: Restoration of 2358R  (Read 171447 times)

Offline dakazman

Re: Restoration of 2358R
« Reply #810 on: Saturday,May 25, 2019, 10:56:41 AM »
You sub contracted out work, with as BDA would say,”beautiful assistant” . That’s a great picture.
 I didn’t see the holes for the engine cover hinges. I also need to drill then in. Holding my breath of course.
Keep posting certified.
Hav a safe weekend.
Dakazman

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #811 on: Saturday,May 25, 2019, 02:35:32 PM »
 Why did you use a bolt in the shifter to transmission connection?

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #812 on: Saturday,May 25, 2019, 07:48:10 PM »
Dave, no worries about the holes for the engine cover hinges. They are there!

PFreen, the bolt is temporary until I know that I have the shift tube adjusted appropriately. Then I will install the roll pin.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #813 on: Sunday,May 26, 2019, 12:12:57 AM »
Excellent work, but is that your finished gas cap?    No "flip top" ?

72 TC had screw tops.
73TCS had flip tops.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #814 on: Monday,May 27, 2019, 05:31:38 AM »
Gotta love a long holiday weekend when you have lots of Lotus restoration work to do. 

I decided to start the early morning with something simple like putting the new LOTUS letters on the rear engine deck. Well, that was nice thinking. Had to drill out all the holes to a larger size and very carefully bend the metal cast pins on the back of the letters to align with the holes. Then glue into place with silicon adhesive. What I thought would be a 20 minute job took two hours. Can't imagine what I would charge someone if I was a shop doing repair work for customers. I always think about how much my restoration would cost if a shop was doing it with a labor rate of over $100 hour.

Moved on to the installation of the left fuel tank that I left yesterday just sitting on the body.  Spent an hour hugging the fiberglass to get the bolts & washers lined up and tightened. My "assistant" was getting her beauty sleep so I was on my own. Then cut the rubber hose to fit (5"") and went thru the same process as yesterday to install the metal filler tube and rubber gasket seal on the body.

I had number of conversations with Dave at the body shop about what to do with the firewall as it is made of flimsy fiberboard with a light fiberglass covering. It was cracked on both sides and we talked about reglassing both sides. Then realized what it would cost to do that for something that would never be seen and would only make the car heavier. Some consideration was given to putting a light metal plate on the engine side and riveting to the firewall. I nixed that idea too. What I finally came up with was self adhesive heat shield that I used on the exhaust side of my Elan S1 engine bay to keep the footwell from getting too hot. It worked great and after 4 years of road use has stayed in place. Out came the roll of brown paper for making patterns. After measuring and then tracing the cut outs in place to make a template I cut out the heats shield material and carefully installed it on the engine side of the firewall.  The trick to doing this is too pull back the paper covering slowly from one side to the other while in place so you can adjust and remove any wrinkles along the way.  I should have done this before the fuel tanks were installed as it would have been easier.....  Overall it turned out the way I imagined and I will do the same inside the cockpit side of the firewall by reversing the pattern to cut out from the big sheet roll.

The original fiberglass battery tray was eaten up from battery acid spills and I had it restored by Dave to bring it back to original condition. It was still flimsy so I decided I would install an aluminum battery frame from odyssey to insure the battery stays in place and add some strength to the fiberglass tray. 

Got my replacement "tie mounts", media blasted them, threaded each bolt to insure they were all in good condition and then spray painted them for installation later.

I had a custom fiberglass airbox for the webers and have been thinking about where I am going to draw cool air from. Measured the inlet tube for flex hose and a large capacity airfilter. The OEM version isn't going to work as my TC is built for 150HP and I need all the cool unrestricted air I can get. I have read a number of posting on this subject and I haven't come to a firm conclusion yet. Someone built an wheel well airbox area for the filter to draw air, but I'm not sure I want to go that route. Any ideas are welcome.

Stopped late afternoon on the Europa as I needed to replace the thermostat on my Elan S1 (it was stuck in the open position) and replace the temperate sensor in the radiator as it was switching the fan on at higher temps then I wanted. That should only take an hour or two.......

« Last Edit: Monday,May 27, 2019, 05:56:44 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline BDA

« Reply #815 on: Monday,May 27, 2019, 06:15:06 AM »
Everything looks great! When you started talking about your letters, I thought they must have glassed in your holes! Thankfully, I was wrong.

Keep up the great work!

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #816 on: Monday,May 27, 2019, 07:30:32 AM »
You spelled L-U-T-O-S wrong! (Just kidding.) Looks great Certified! Keep the momentum going!
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #817 on: Monday,May 27, 2019, 11:49:41 AM »
Surf, you had me freaked out for a millisecond. Then I had a laugh! 

Offline dakazman

« Reply #818 on: Monday,May 27, 2019, 05:47:17 PM »
Oh that was time stopping, until the Lol. Sometimes the easiest jobs take forever . Looks like your almost ready to drop that body on. 😀👍
Dakazman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #819 on: Monday,May 27, 2019, 06:04:11 PM »
Dakazman, I'm trying to think of all the things I need to do now while the body is still off before I lower it on the chassis. Need to put the rear window in while I can stand in the engine bay and attach the various support struts in the engine bay.  I'm going to try and get the shifter linkage adjusted as close as possible.  What else?  I'm sure I'll forget something and curse myself for moving to quickly to attach the body. 

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #820 on: Monday,May 27, 2019, 06:17:05 PM »
Today was undercoating day. I was waiting for a low humidity day with a breeze to undercoat the body. It was time consuming (mainly because I used a small brush) and very messy. You need to wear a long sleeve shirt and rubber gloves. Draped the area below in plastic sheeting as the drops of undercoating splats everywhere. And plenty of fresh air (all the garage door were open).

Any holes in the underside of the body that are no longer being used (like the bracket holes in the left fender well for the brake servo's) get filled in with black silicon sealer before painting. I also masked the inside fender lips at 3/4" and painted the undercoat to that line.

Eastwood's rubberized Rust Encapsulator works very well on all surfaces except shiny paint (you need to sand it before the paint adheres).

It was all worth while as undercoating really finishes off the detail of the body work and restoration. I'm sure Colin would object as it adds weight....

« Last Edit: Monday,May 27, 2019, 06:21:17 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #821 on: Tuesday,May 28, 2019, 07:17:52 PM »
Tuesday night, it must be electroplating night!

I had media blasted the door lock guides a couple of days ago and tonight I wiped them down with lacquer thinner and then dropped each piece into the electroplating bucket for a couple of minutes. Quick rinse in fresh water, dry off, polish with metal paste and then install.

Everything should be this easy.

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #822 on: Wednesday,May 29, 2019, 05:34:32 AM »
come on Glen, the screws aren't lined up!!!!   :FUNNY:
looking better than when they came out of the factory!
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook

Offline BDA

« Reply #823 on: Wednesday,May 29, 2019, 06:37:52 AM »
The latches came out great. What did you plate them with?

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #824 on: Wednesday,May 29, 2019, 07:11:31 AM »
Ted, your my quality control guy. Come on over to correct  :FUNNY:
BDA, I use Tin-Zinc electroplating as it duplicates most of what was done in the era.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,May 29, 2019, 08:21:49 AM by Certified Lotus »