Author Topic: Hi All I am new to the Community. I have a 1973 Europa (2473R) Twin Cam.  (Read 2624 times)

Offline Gohan

Hi All I am new to the Community. I have a 1973 Europa (2473R) Twin Cam.
« on: Thursday,November 26, 2015, 07:53:27 AM »
I have owned the Europa since 1984. I purchased the car in California (Palmdale) and drove it around until I joined the Navy in 1985.  Due to deployments and overseas assignments (5 Years in Japan and 3 years in Italy) it was pretty much in and out of storage for 20 years.  Had the engine rebuilt by Dave Bean in late 1984, the prior owner sold it to me with bent valves..seems the timing chain was out of adjustment.  I drove it between times I was home and good weather.  Fast forward to 2007..I finally retired from the Navy and went to work on it to get it back to it Glory days..finished in 2012 and have bee LOTUSING since then.  People always ask who makes LOTUS...it is fun explaining how it all works.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
Re: Hi All I am new to the Community. I have a 1973 Europa (2473R) Twin Cam.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,November 26, 2015, 08:34:04 AM »
Welcome to the asylum  :Welcome: Your Europa looks great. Obviously some custom touches there. Are the rear wheel openings reshaped as well? Cheers :beerchug:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,November 26, 2015, 09:31:51 AM »
 :Welcome:

First, thank you for your service!!!  :beerchug:

Now, your ride looks great!!! You've done some really nice work!! I like the custom touches while keeping with the original look (if that makes any sense).

Dave Bean built my engine in 1980 (actually I found out a few years ago that he had an engine builder do his builds) so I would guess that the same guy who built your motor built mine. I was super impressed with mine so I know he did a great job with yours.

Happy Lotusing!

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,November 26, 2015, 06:39:55 PM »
Nice job on the restoration from another former sailor. I bought my first Europa while stationed at Sub Base Pearl Harbor back in 1978. I never could figure out how I could afford to buy the car making only around $400/month back then as an E5 but I did and still have it after all these years.

I love the way the Europa looks without bumpers. I plan to keep my Cosworth bumper less also. 

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,November 26, 2015, 06:51:32 PM »
Joji, let me thank you for your service, too!

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,November 26, 2015, 10:35:24 PM »
Great looking car!! Did you rebuild the transaxle by yourself? I may have some questions for you :)

I am in Denton, TX so about 2 hours south of you...I think I need to come see what a put together car looks (and drives) like :)

Offline Gohan

« Reply #6 on: Friday,November 27, 2015, 04:14:46 AM »
Great looking car!! Did you rebuild the transaxle by yourself? I may have some questions for you :)

I am in Denton, TX so about 2 hours south of you...I think I need to come see what a put together car looks (and drives) like :)

Hi Chuck.  The original transaxle had a bad mainshaft bearing, the one right behind the crown and pinion gear set.  At one time the gear box oil must have been low.  I priced out a new bearing set and it was expensive.  I purchased a used gear box, 4 speed 352, from Steve Veris, I think he is in Indiana.  I had to switch out the rear casing cover since the original had a 15mm shift shaft.  I split the cases and inspected the gears and bearings and all was good.  Installed new output shaft seals, rear seal, selector shaft O-ring  and set the crown and pinion lash (real pain) this is done by adjusting the bearing retainer nuts, what the output seals fit into and have over 2000 mile with no problems.  Though I am no expert on Transaxles it was all pretty much straight forward.  If you ever do split the cases don't touch the adjusting nuts, if you do need to replace the seals mark and count the turns when un-screwing them since these set the adjustment on the backlash.  I filled it with Royal Purple 80 weight.  If you are up this way let me know, I am in Moore (aka Tornado alley)    Tom.

Offline Gohan

« Reply #7 on: Friday,November 27, 2015, 05:03:52 AM »
Welcome to the asylum  :Welcome: Your Europa looks great. Obviously some custom touches there. Are the rear wheel openings reshaped as well? Cheers :beerchug:
Hi Bainford,,Good catch on noticing the wheel arches.  I purchased the Lotus like this, the bumpers were also gone,  Whoever did the mod did a great job shaping them this way.  So you are from Nova Scotia, my wife is Canadian from Victoria BC.  Most of her family are from and still in Sheet Harbour Nova Scotia (Barkhouse, family name) and Fredericton NB.  I spent a lot of time in Victoria BC, miss the Kooteney beer and halibut fish and chips.  We are planing a trip to visit them in the spring.  Cheers and Lotus on  TOM

Offline Piper an

• old boy racer
« Reply #8 on: Saturday,November 28, 2015, 12:46:55 AM »
Nice car Gohan looking forward to getting mine on the rd , first drove a europa t/c in the 70 ts brotherin laws car lime green  he rekindled the desire bought another one 30 years later ,1 owner car good con sold it to a dealer for half its value i had no cash at the time Derek

Offline EuropatcSPECIAL

• Europa Special 74, Elan Sprint 73
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,December 08, 2015, 12:44:05 PM »
Welcome Gohan, plenty of pictures that,s what we like to see.
all the best
Stuart