Lotus Europa Forums > Technical Articles and DIY tools and tips

Lotus Europa Twin Cam tapered rear axle/housing bearings

<< < (2/4) > >>

TurboFource:
This modification is not for the meek as I did have to modify the trailing arms for assembly purposes. I thought about this as part of them needs to be removed, but I put the cut out piece back in on assembly to retain my seal holders. I also figured that the brake backing plate has enough strength to resist any rotational forces ( if my turbo motor makes enough power to bend them then I have really accomplished something 8) )

TurboFource:
When I researched owning a Lotus Europa, I felt the current rear bearing longevity was unacceptable (and front sway bar placement).
I am trying the gear oil because if I don't I will always wonder if I could make it work. I may be switching to grease if it doesn't, but in either case I may
not ever have to change rear bearings again (look at how long differential bearings running in gear oil last).

cwtech:

--- Quote from: GavinT on Saturday,January 14, 2023, 10:02:09 PM ---Turbo, this looks impressive but I'm also having trouble visualising some stuff.

Is the brake backing plate now performing the function of retaining the outer race?

--- End quote ---

If I'm understanding this correctly, the outer races (bearing cups) are retained laterally by the inner races (bearing cones).  ....The cups are bottomed-out against the shoulders in the housings so side-to-side movement is restricted.   

I am concerned about leakage around the O.D. and/or spinning of the bearing cups if not installed without sealant or locking compound.  ....Of course, unless the bearing seizes, the cups should not rotate.

TurboFource:
I used Loctite 638 to make sure the outer races (cups) will not move.
The outer race of the outer bearing is also held by my seal holder as it is compressed by the trailing arm.

The most anything can move is the .002" endplay before things warm up.

TurboFource:
Note the difference is speed rating for oil vs grease....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version