Lotus Europa Forums > Technical Articles and DIY tools and tips

Head Gasket: sealant or dry?

<< < (2/2)

BDA:
Over tightening a cork gasket can cause leaks. This is certainly true of the oil pan gasket, those bolts should be torqued to something like six ft-lbs. I’m not familiar with the gasket for the timing cover but I would say that the thinner the cork gasket, the lighter the torque and the more care you should use.

Dilkris:

--- Quote from: BDA on Saturday,December 31, 2022, 08:58:45 AM ---Over tightening a cork gasket can cause leaks. This is certainly true of the oil pan gasket, those bolts should be torqued to something like six ft-lbs. I’m not familiar with the gasket for the timing cover but I would say that the thinner the cork gasket, the lighter the torque and the more care you should use.

--- End quote ---
Hi BDA - long time!!
I agree entirely - the cork gasket for the timing cover on the twin cam is effectively torqued by the head bolts.... I therefore believe the thickness of it upon assembly is critical. 

Dilkris:
As with many areas of the Lotus Twin Cam Engine - it is actually an engineering nightmare.  :-[

Bryan Boyle:

--- Quote from: Dilkris on Saturday,December 31, 2022, 09:17:14 AM ---As with many areas of the Lotus Twin Cam Engine - it is actually an engineering nightmare.  :-[

--- End quote ---

I'm pretty certain ACBC and Harry Mundy did not expect anyone to be talking about keeping these mills running 50+ years after the fact and designed them to last about as long as anything else did back then. 

That they still are, in various stages of repair, is a testament to the initial design and construction, IMHO.

Dilkris:

--- Quote from: Bryan Boyle on Thursday,January 26, 2023, 06:15:21 AM ---I'm pretty certain ACBC and Harry Mundy did not expect anyone to be talking about keeping these mills running 50+ years after the fact and designed them to last about as long as anything else did back then.

--- End quote ---

Mmm .......there are many automotive engineering masterpieces in existence, still running today, which were designed in excess of 50 years ago, but as regards being up there for technical questionability, the twin cam surely has to be close to the top.  :confused:     

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version