Lotus Europa Forums > Technical Articles and DIY tools and tips

Make a Europa Dash

<< < (2/2)

2483R:
I have told by many the original Lotus veneer was walnut. (one would assume this would be English walnut and not North American walnut which is common in the USA). I also believe that original dash was stained and the varnish used was lacquer.

All the original dashes I have seen are very close in color. If they were natural wood there would be variation in the color, but there seldom is. The only way to get a consistent color over many dashes is to stain.

Like many, the varnish on my dash was heavily cracked, and cracks are typical of old lacquer finishes. Using a razor blade in the cracks, I popped loose bits of the finish exposing the veneer underneath. But most of the color came away with the varnish bits. If the veneer was stained the color would still be there. Thus I suspect the stain was in the varnish, something that (I have been told) can be done with lacquer.

I say all of this because it was not easy to match the original dash. The color is in the varnish which was thick, cracked, and distorted.

I used 2 Old Masters wiping stains, (bought at the local paint store), American Walnut and Dark Walnut. I made a test strip of veneer and experimented with different combinations of stain and lengths of time to leave the stain on.  I selected a 50/50 mix of the 2 colors which soaked into the veneer for a minute before I wiped it off.

The result is not a perfect match, but it is close. Given the circumstances I think it is the best I could have hoped for.

cwtech:
Thanks for the additional info, Ron.

Yes, lacquer can be tinted to add color.

I once talked with a furniture manufacturer and was surprised to learn that all the woods they used (walnut, cherry, oak) were bleached to remove the color difference between sapwood and heartwood and random boards.

Color was then applied to the wood using stains, glazes, or tinted finishes, or any combo of those.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version