Author Topic: Europa TC FS (no affiliation)  (Read 2069 times)

Offline cal44

"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline BDA

Re: Europa TC FS (no affiliation)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,March 18, 2014, 05:26:16 PM »
The two most interesting things about the car to me are the dual webers and the kevlar reinforcement and there are no pictures of either. From the crazing on the roof I have to assume the kevlar is under the bodywork (if it is indeed there). If anybody here is interested in this car, they should ask about the kevlar and where it is. If the kevlar is cloth and the seller says it is on top of the car, you should be able to see the weave bleed through the paint finish, but as I said, given the crazing, that is unlikely (again, if it is indeed there). Obviously, the webers need to be verified.

From the few pictures, it doesn't appear to be a bad car but then there are not many pictures.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,March 18, 2014, 11:33:58 PM »
Is the first picture a different car, or maybe the same car in better days ?  The paintwork is shiny and with bumpers present, quite a contrast to the later pictures. 

I can't help but think it's a seller who doesn't really know the car and has started what they thought would be a quick restoration only to come unstuck. Some of those thoughts come from the comments on Kevlar because from what I can see the bodywork looks OEM. Perhaps someone's just told the seller that fibreglass is "like kevlar" and hence we have a kevlar car.   

The crazing looks like paintwork problems to me.  I can't imagine how you could stress the roof enough to cause that extent of gel coat cracking, especially as it seems to spread onto the door frame - hence suspecting lacquer crazing in sunshine ?

A good basic project although potentially very expensive with lots of unknowns in there like the engine problems and state of the gearbox. Some of the missing parts will be expensive/difficult to obtain if it really does need a new front cover for the engine for example.

Brian

PS - no, don't go and buy it Mike, you have far too many cars and not enough garages !       :)

Offline cal44

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,March 19, 2014, 03:09:51 AM »
Well Brian...........it is only 100 miles up the road.   But you, as usual, are right.  I have enough on my plate.

mike
United States Marines

Offline Roger

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,March 19, 2014, 08:34:47 AM »
Way, way overpriced. Non-running, with the amount  of work required hard to judge - say $4000?

Offline cal44

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,March 19, 2014, 03:43:13 PM »
Yep Roger.........I agree.
United States Marines

Offline 4380r

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,March 19, 2014, 05:13:41 PM »
If anyone here picks this up I'd like to talk you out of the biscuit console...

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,March 19, 2014, 11:21:18 PM »
If anyone here picks this up I'd like to talk you out of the biscuit console...

If you really want a trimmed one, then Banks can supply them. The one on his website is black vinyl but I can't see any problem in getting one done in oatmeal vinyl (or it's modern equivalent).  I've got one on my wish list as well !

http://www.parts.banks-europa.co.uk/orders_frame.htm

Brian

Offline buzzer

« Reply #8 on: Thursday,March 20, 2014, 04:50:12 AM »
 I don't get the reference to Kevlar, did lotus use this on their production cars in the early 70's? My TCS has what I assumed is just woven fibreglass on the roof as you mention Brian and is showing through the paint

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Thursday,March 20, 2014, 07:21:19 AM »
I don't believe there should be any woven glass on your Europa. Woven glass is very difficult to get smooth and bend around corners. If there is any woven glass, it would not be on the exterior surfaces. Besides the problems I just mentioned, it is almost impossible (it may be impossible) for the weave not to bleed through the paint. If you have it on your car, maybe your PO put it there.

Offline buzzer

« Reply #10 on: Thursday,March 20, 2014, 02:59:35 PM »
I think this is original. None of the car has been repainted. The roof has a lot of blistering on the paint but you can clearly see the weave showing though the paint.
Any thoughts guys on this ?
« Last Edit: Thursday,March 20, 2014, 03:02:16 PM by buzzer »
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline BDA

« Reply #11 on: Thursday,March 20, 2014, 04:57:41 PM »
Interesting and  very surprising if it is indeed original. Mat is much more commonly used where a good finish is required and cloth is used generally where strength is most important so the roof is definitely not a place I would expect cloth to be used. If you want to get rid of the weave, you may have to glass over it with gauze. spreading filler and sanding will not do it.

Is there a cloth weave anywhere else on the body?

Offline HealeyBN7

« Reply #12 on: Thursday,March 20, 2014, 07:04:59 PM »
The first picture in the Craigslist ad appears to be ripped off from this site: 

http://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/lotus/europa/1971/142771

Dean

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #13 on: Thursday,March 20, 2014, 10:39:34 PM »
The first picture in the Craigslist ad appears to be ripped off from this site: 

Well spotted sir ! 

Either that or the seller has managed to stop the car with the wheel spokes in exactly the same orientation, and with the same trees in the background.....   :)

Brian