Lotus Europa Forums > Events

Reminder to those planning on going to LOG 41 in West (by god) Virginia

(1/1)

BDA:
I wanted to remind everyone planning on coming to LOG 41 that early registration ends on May 31. If you register prior to that it is $125 (plus whatever extras you want - meals, t-shirts, autocross, etc.). If you register after May 31 it goes up to $150 and then $180 depending on how late you are. Log into the Lotus Ltd. site (https://lotusltd.com/) and there is a link to register.

If you aren't a member, you will be able to join so you can go to the LOG (Only members are allowed to register for the LOG). With your membership, you also get a really nice club magazine.

BDA:
LOG 41 is over and it was a another successful event.

A multi-Loti owner (Elan S2 and 7) from Wilmington (Henry), a local friend and Europa owner (Mark), and I were planning on caravanning. Henry brought his 7 (on a trailer because his wife didn't want to ride in his car - somewhat understandable as that would be a LONG drive in a 7 for a woman whose interest in cars is that her husband likes them - for me, it would be great fun!).  Their plans changed and we weren't able to meet up on the road so we met at the event. Mark couldn't get his car going (he seems motivated to restore it now so I've offered whatever help I can) so he rode with me.

The drive up was very interesting! At one point, I lost my speedo (I have an electronic speedo driven by GPS so I don't know which part could be the problem). After a hundred miles or so it came back! Happy days! The roads got REALLY interesting when we neared the Virginia/West Virginia border. I didn't realize it but those incredibly twisty roads in Virginia and West Virginia are called the "Head of the dragon." The more famous "Tail of the dragon" is over in western North Carolina. Really fun roads! West Virginia's section was much better maintained (Mark is a Civil Engineer so he knows his roads).

There was Lotus Ltd. news announced that there will be somewhat of a reconstituting of the club. One big change for me is that after this year, there will no longer be the Lotus ReMarque magazine. That is sad because I always look forward to the next issue. I've been a member of the club pretty much since I bought my car so I have old type written newsletter-type ReMarques and now they are full color glossy page magazines with articles about Lotus happenings in the US as well as the UK. I don't like it but I understand it. It must be a huge amount of work and presumably expensive even after the advertising income. The club will try to maintain its connection with it's members via it's website so the ReMarque will be a part of that. That and other announcements brought an awareness of the Herculean feat running the club with the ReMarque and all its events - especially the LOGs must be - is. Of course it is all performed by amateur volunteers. They are a very impressive and dedicated group!

Lotus Cars had people there explaining their plans for the future (Emira, SUVs, EVs). They spoke a bit about their Chinese owners (apparently they are real task masters). They brought an Emira (still not for sale and still no definition of "real soon now"), supposedly the last piston engine Lotus and let people drive it (my buddy and I passed - I don't know why in retrospect).

A previous employee of Lotus (sorry I don't remember his name) who worked on Elans apologized for the build quality and told a touching story of Hazel Chapman who recently passed away including a video of her last interview which she did with him at her home.

Every LOG has a casual concours so we can ooh and aah each other's cars. I didn't count them but there was somewhere near 12 Europas probably a little heavier on the S2s than the TCs. There was guy who put an LS motor in a "Europa" (is it really a Europa after you replace almost everything with something completely different?) was there. He's gotten quite a bit of notoriety from his car. He said he's seen articles about him and his car in several languages! This video was done by Holley! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g67HHs0FDMM). I had a nice conversation with him. Very nice guy and though his car is interesting and pretty well done given it was built in his garage by an admitted amateur. Not my cup of tea but then it is apparently his and that's what matters.

With a reasonable showing of Elans, 7s (both Lotus and Caterham), Europas, two beautiful Elites, Esprits and even an Eclat, there was a virtual sea of Elises, Exiges, and Evoras. I guess I'm getting old because as nice as those cars are, there is something not-Lotus about them. Maybe it is that you can get in them and drive without drama! I've come to think the drama of my car (what will break next, what else can I adjust better...) is part of its charm. I bet in those new Loti, you can stay dry in the rain and they probably don't even leak any oil!!!

At the banquet, the guest speaker John H. Davis of Motorweek.org (from the website: As Emmy® Award-winning producer, host and creator of MotorWeek, television's original and longest running automotive series, John Davis can be seen and heard throughout the U.S. on PBS broadcast and the MAVTV cable networks.). Not a direct Lotus relationship but he is a big fan. He recapped the reviews he did of Loti he tested with Motorweek. Here is a list (https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=motorweek+lotus). This year, there was a Speaker's Choice award where John singled out his favorite of all the cars at the LOG.  During his talk, John said he was particularly a fan of the Europa and he named a very nice light blue Europa TCS with biscuit interior!

As always, a highlight of the LOG is the announcement of the location of the next LOG. In 2023, it will be held in Knoxville, Tennessee. It's not far from the aforementioned Tail of the Dragon and there are lots of attractions in Knoxville and nearby including Dollywood (Dolly Parton's theme park) in nearby, Pidgeon Forge.

The drive home was uneventful except for some unwelcomed light rain showers. Thankfully, they were very light - even the barely adequate wipers on my Europa kept up with them in slow speed!

As much fun as driving my car is, after six hours, it's great to get out and it's always great to get back home!

Bainford:
Thanks for the run-down, BDA.  Sounds like a great trip. I'd like to get to another one of these myself, someday. Interesting about ReMarque. I'll miss it too, though can't say I'm surprised. The postage to send them to me (in Canada) just about equals my annual dues.

BDA:
We agree that it makes sense but it's still sad to see the ReMarque go. I guess we'll be spending a lot more time on the Lotus Ltd. website in the future!

Unless there is a good reason not to be, I expect to be at LOG 42. I wish all of us could meet there!

BDA:
Ok gang, I finally got around to posting my pictures from LOG41. There weren't as many as I would have liked but most of the cars were the Exiges, Elises, and Evoras. It's not that I don't appreciate them but most of them seemed the same except for their color. I'm sure there were interesting ones I missed but maybe I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

Anyway, there were some interesting Europas and a couple of beautiful Elites and I should mention an Elan that D'man would especially like!

I posted them in the Gallery. Click on "Gallery" (Main menu between "Calendar" and "Members." Ignore the menu that pops up when you hover over "Gallery." Choose "LOG-41" and you're on your way.

Enjoy!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version