Author Topic: S2 Fed wiring Diagram  (Read 345 times)

Offline dakazman

S2 Fed wiring Diagram
« on: Tuesday,May 30, 2023, 04:19:12 PM »
  Starting with 700103001r where is the original print located?

I have 3 workshop manuals and couldn’t find a black and white version in any manual.

Good thing the colorized version is on another site that we reference .

I have been working with the DB10 relay and would like to see the original print that ours was copied from.
  My search has found many incorrect versions of what it controls on another site . See picture.
These need to be purged from the internet. It’s upside down and the labeled control the wrong side .
 The relay as it’s mounted in the car should be top1-4 bottom 5-8 that way if your problem is front right you would go to the top side term 1 ., rear on 3 ; left side problem in the back , term 7 . Maybe this is a better way to think about it.
   I do want to thank Bruce Gayhart for his colorized schematic 👍👍
Dakazman
  Dakazman

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: S2 Fed wiring Diagram
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,May 30, 2023, 06:02:05 PM »
Where is that diagram from? GGLC has a DB10 diagram which I think is accurate.

https://www.gglotus.org/ggtech/relaybox/relaybox.htm

Offline dakazman

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,May 30, 2023, 06:54:57 PM »
 Grumblebuns ,  file located here:
  http://www.lotus-europa.com/manuals/index.htm

I didn’t see that link but it looked correct. I was just having a hard time verifying the #3 term,GW under dash to rt rear, no continuity even though there is only one wire left to go. I could have gotten crushed when I installed the dash.
  I’m more interested in double checking the S2 Fed later schematic. Maybe the version we’re using is a cross of the s2 and a tc fed with the DB10. Not being in the workshop manual was a bit strange to find , or not find .

Dakazman

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,May 31, 2023, 05:32:54 AM »
  Starting with 700103001r where is the original print located?

I have 3 workshop manuals and couldn’t find a black and white version in any manual.

Probably torn out and used to debug by the previous owner.   I remember the original manual only had 2: S1 and S2.  Didn't even address the federal versions. 

Good thing the colorized version is on another site that we reference .

Yeah, took us over a year to figure out all the variations back in the 00s.  Even then, there were things that didn't make sense.  We did the best we could with what we had available. 

I have been working with the DB10 relay and would like to see the original print that ours was copied from.
 My search has found many incorrect versions of what it controls on another site . See picture.
These need to be purged from the internet. It’s upside down and the labeled control the wrong side .

Actually, in practice, as long as all the colors are on the same side, it doesn't matter.  Match up your green/white and green/red leads on the same side in the same general order (terminal 3 &7 are rear lamps, 2 and 6 are front, those numbers should be stamped on the case, if they aren't, then you have a repop, which are out there) your signal from the brake switch on 5, and flasher on 1 and it will work if the colors of the leads from the indicator stalk match, too, on terminals 4 and 8.  The genius of the British standard wiring code comes through.

The relay as it’s mounted in the car should be top1-4 bottom 5-8 that way if your problem is front right you would go to the top side term 1 ., rear on 3 ; left side problem in the back , term 7 . Maybe this is a better way to think about it.
   I do want to thank Bruce Gayhart for his colorized schematic 👍👍

Dakazman

Or the one the diagrams were based on were removed from the car at one point and installed upside down.  Again, it's the assignment of the wires to the proper signal terminals that are important, not the orientation of the box on the wall of the plenum.  Having a wire signal tracer helps.

Yeah, Bruce did a good job with what Jerry Johnson, Whit Davis (RIP), Pete Blackford, Jay Mitchell, myself, Steve Veris, and a host of others putting those things together back in the day had to work with.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,May 31, 2023, 05:49:29 AM by Bryan Boyle »
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,May 31, 2023, 08:51:18 AM »
  Bryan,
Three manuals from different purchases missing the print ? Torn out . I agree with the later S2 fed print not being in manuals now.

You stated that you all did the best you could.  You did a fantastic job of it now that I understand you joined things together and it wasn’t just adding color.

The DB10 should always be drawn to agree with the workshop manual and reading from left to right.
Why make it harder to cross reference. I agree that it works upside and backwards .

As far as labels , I agree and added them for ease of use
Having th GP hooked up to term GW 4 , or the B going to term 8 GW . You have a 1 in 3 chance when under the dash to get the right connection.  Let’s just , Make it easy .
Dakazman

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,May 31, 2023, 10:13:49 AM »
  Bryan,
Three manuals from different purchases missing the print ? Torn out . I agree with the later S2 fed print not being in manuals now.

Apologies if I seemed a bit snarky.  Strange that they don't include it now; in '09, the factory contacted us (the ones who put the manual archive together) and asked if they could download the PDFs since they printed out in better condition than their decades-old photocopies that were in the documentation stack.  Like we were going to say no, right?  LOL.  Guess they didn't grab the colored diagrams, since we purposely did not copy the 2 pages of the original manual with the hard to read, microscopic line drawing that was originally in there.

You stated that you all did the best you could.  You did a fantastic job of it now that I understand you joined things together and it wasn’t just adding color.

Took close to a year to suss it all out since we had to account for S1A, S1B, S2 ROW and US, TC ROW and US, and TCS ROW and US.  Lots of similarities, but there are the regulation-driven changes that really had us pulling our hair out.  That the Brits have a standard that makes sense helped a lot, at least on the colorization.

The DB10 should always be drawn to agree with the workshop manual and reading from left to right.
Why make it harder to cross reference. I agree that it works upside and backwards.

Guess whomever did that second drawing was flat on his back when they reinstalled it.  Don't recall where we got it from in the mists of 16 years on (which is how long that manuals page has been out there.)  It's a pretty standard part in the realm of the marques that employed it (it wasn't a Lotus-specific part...but for what it does, kind of a neat adaptation developed by our friends at Lucas.)

As far as labels , I agree and added them for ease of use
Having th GP hooked up to term GW 4 , or the B going to term 8 GW . You have a 1 in 3 chance when under the dash to get the right connection.  Let’s just , Make it easy .
Dakazman

If you can source a set of euro tail lights it lets you get rid of most of that adaptation that satisfies the US DOT.  There is a body of study that amber rear directionals (which are standard in the ROW) are actually safer than the red that we're stuck with here in the US.  I've a box full of US-spec rear light assemblies; guess I've been lucky to have picked up a few carcasses that had the euro lights and just swapped them over and got rid of the DB10 wiring in both 693R and 3291R.  To me, just more points of dissimilar metal corrosion and potential failure...
« Last Edit: Wednesday,May 31, 2023, 10:20:54 AM by Bryan Boyle »
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,May 31, 2023, 12:50:09 PM »
  Thanks Bryan,
     Now I realize why my S2 wiring rendition hasn’t showed up yet. I’ll still redraw the original with corrections and this one for myself.
The other drawings are of all Europa’s with a cleaned up S1, meant for use as an adjunct. The breakouts help immensely, especially on your sight.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #7 on: Friday,June 02, 2023, 03:52:15 PM »
  Found this little gremlin:
  Where is term 3 on the light switch?
  If contact is only 1/2 & 3/4 , so how are the sidelights and headlights on at the same time?  The tc fed show easily how this is done.  I have a brand new switch from RD  036M 6264r  maybe it is incorrect or the switch is bad out of stock.
There seems to be a problem here .
  Dakazman
« Last Edit: Friday,June 02, 2023, 03:53:52 PM by dakazman »

Offline dakazman

« Reply #8 on: Saturday,August 19, 2023, 04:21:17 PM »
  Another discrepancy in the S2 wiring diagram is the coil connections. WB coil - to distributor.
Then , W coil + to tach and carb heat .  S2 owners what wires go where on the coil ? do you have a ballast? If so what a car are you?  Let’s get these prints corrected.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #9 on: Saturday,August 19, 2023, 04:46:41 PM »
Another discrepancy in the S2 wiring diagram is the coil connections. WB coil - to distributor.
Then , W coil + to tach and carb heat .  S2 owners what wires go where on the coil ? do you have a ballast? If so what a car are you?  Let’s get these prints corrected.
   Another heartburn is the gauge designation of the b and t  connectors and the lack of designation on the voltage regulator. This will be a little more difficult. As I discovered smith gauges have evolved thru the years . Covered here you can research your units.
    https://www.triumphclub.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/A-Gentlemans-guide-to-Smiths-gauges_Pt_1_1v3.pdf
   I have three different oil pressure gauges and different senders that I got from the previous owner and senders from engines I acquired.
     Instead of complaining or pointing out differences , How can we fix the connection issues in our S2 diagram?   Maybe a list of the correct smiths part number.  Or were the original gauges Lucas?
  Dakazman