Author Topic: "1974" TCS Stormberg 5-Speed on eBay Auction  (Read 504 times)

Offline Vegantune

• 46+ Years Europa TCS /JPS Owner/Fixer/Improver
"1974" TCS Stormberg 5-Speed on eBay Auction
« on: Wednesday,April 12, 2023, 11:56:09 AM »
More keep showing up on eBay. This one is up for auction with reserve. I guess word got out that these are cool cars after all, and an awesome drive. Don't recall seeing this one before. Bowtie trans mount says 5-speed. This is a TCS, but ad and info mislabeled as a "Europa S". Says miles are supposedly correct @33K. No reason to doubt. Fair amount of surface rust all over. Could be some deeper (fun door pins?).

Ad doesn't provide sn, but front plate photo does: 73073826R. That means this a '73, not '74 model year, but no big deal. At least it seems all original, if more than a bit tired from years of neglect, but still a worthy restoration project with an engine that "turns over". Be interesting to see where price goes, and if it makes reserve. Seems like some sellers have big dollar signs in their head for cars that will need lots of work to be really nice again. But could be worse, looks complete, unlike the Frankenkuldge car.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134528072500
« Last Edit: Wednesday,April 12, 2023, 10:46:06 PM by Vegantune »
- A Norwegian Blue with beautiful plumage is still nothing but a dead parrot.

1973 Black Europa TCS/Vegantune JPS #180
1973 White Europa TCS
2012 Jaguar XJL 5.0 Supercharged
1975 Ferrari Dino 308 GT4
1994 Volvo 940 Shoebox Wagon
2005 Yamaha V Star
1998 Kawasaki XII Voyager

Offline BDA

Re: "1974" TCS Stormberg 5-Speed on eBay Auction
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,April 12, 2023, 12:18:57 PM »
Vegantune, you might want to correct your link. At the moment, it's a mailto link.

It's pretty rough. That and that it's been stored for 15 years (where?) makes me think a serious restoration is in order. It looks like it's all there (including the cross over tubes and fuel catch tank.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,April 12, 2023, 12:27:16 PM by BDA »

Offline Kendo

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,April 12, 2023, 12:54:45 PM »
"Body type" is "Supercar". So you've got to give them that.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,April 12, 2023, 04:59:19 PM »

Offline Bud

• 416-949-2778
« Reply #4 on: Thursday,April 13, 2023, 07:23:16 AM »
this looks like a very nice project if you want to go all out. I bought a 74 TCS that had been stored for 44 years in a barn and have gone through the car entirely from top to bottom in a 5 month period and am just waiting for my engine to come back to be installed. I paid a similar amount and hopefully will be very happy when I start it up. Other than engine and tranny, these cars clean up easily and all you have to do is really concentrate on electrics to make them work properly. best of luck with the sale

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #5 on: Thursday,April 13, 2023, 07:47:21 AM »
Good looking project. I've always liked that particular shade of blue on the Europa. Curiously, I find it is one of the best looking colours on Europas in this original and neglected condition, but then, I've always enjoyed old cars that wear their years and miles honestly. There is no way I'd paint that thing; just buff and go (well, once it's running).
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline FourLoti

« Reply #6 on: Friday,April 21, 2023, 12:48:02 PM »
 :newhere:

Hello everyone:

New here, but definitely not new to Lotus cars. Bought my first one - Europa S2 new from the dealer. That's a hint on how old I am and why I'm wondering if I still have another project in me. I also owned and restored a '63 Elan S1 and owned an '87 Esprit Turbo. Oh and don't forget the '80 Eclat!  But after a long hiatus playing with non-British sports cars, I find myself intrigued with the originality and potential of this one. BUT I (should) know enough not to buy sight unseen on eBay. But then again there's that old project urge popping up again.

I've talked with the seller and he seems like a genuine car guy and the story on this car sounds legit. I've done a lot of "revival" projects and would love it if I could get it on the road without rebuilding the engine (been there with the Elan!) but that's an acceptable risk, IMO. The bigger concern is whether or not the chassis is too rusty, because I definitely don't want/need to get into another body-off long term project.

It's been decades since I had anything to do with Europa's, so if there's anything I can ask the experts here it would be what are the odds a car like this that obviously sat outside for a long time, would have serious rust issues. The seller assured me the it's all surface rust,  but who knows.

I've got to decide by 7:00 tonight, so if you happen to read this, any thoughts (and prayers?) would be helpful.

Thanks,

Ron
1974 Europa Twin Cam Special 5-Speed
1996 Porsche 993 Carrera Coupe
2005 Mitsubishi Montero Limited
1987 Esprit Turbo (gone)
1980 Eclat (gone)
1963 Elan S1 (gone)
1970 Europa S2 (gone)

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Friday,April 21, 2023, 01:32:28 PM »
 :Welcome: FourLoti!!!

I'm no expert but the corrosion on the tranny scares me. It looks like a lot and makes me think there is more corrosion elsewhere that you can't see. The rust on the frame by the engine looks bad but it not so bad that it's structural. I think you can sand and repaint it - as I would expect you to do for all the parts of the frame you can see. The crash pad looks like a goner so that would require taking the windshield off. I suspect that moisture has gotten under the oil cap and if so, the exhaust cam will likely need to be replaced. I think taking the head off to see what you've got even if the exhaust cam is ok.

In spite of the corrosion on the tranny, the guts may be in good shape. The 5th gear is the only part that is made of unobtanium. I believe the rest is Renault. The air vent in the tranny worries me a bit but I might be exaggerating the danger of moisture getting in there.

You may not need to do a body off but there is lots to do. The good thing is that it looks like all the parts are there. It's going to be a time and money sink but I'm thinking it's doable. I have to say I'm fighting with myself because if it were me (and especially if I were twenty years younger) I'd probably do a body off just so I would know what I have. On the other hand, it looks straight and there is no obvious reason that the frame needs to come off from what I can tell.

I'm also not good at estimating its value but I think if you get it for near the current bid ($9300), it would be worth it.

Nice Twin Cams on Bring A Trailer have been going for mid twenties to low thirties with some outliers going in the forties. They don't come up often but they do show up occasionally so you might want to factor that in.

Good luck and let us know if you buy it and what your plans are!

Offline gideon

« Reply #8 on: Friday,April 21, 2023, 01:42:32 PM »
The picture of the underside of the crux of the Y worries me.  It looks as though somebody put a layer of sealant that bridges the chassis and body along the backbone.   The sealant may have trapped water.  You can see quite a lot of corrosion where the sealant peeled off.  Be prepared to replace the chassis if you buy it. 

Offline FourLoti

« Reply #9 on: Friday,April 21, 2023, 05:19:31 PM »
Thanks for the great input. I had the same concerns about that frame coating but that's all moot now, because I decided to bid a minimal increase, and dammed if I didn't win!  No fair.

Seriously, I'm happy with the result and am looking forward to the challenge - even if it turns out to be just a cool driveway ornament!

Looks like I'm going to be here for a while!

Ron
1974 Europa Twin Cam Special 5-Speed
1996 Porsche 993 Carrera Coupe
2005 Mitsubishi Montero Limited
1987 Esprit Turbo (gone)
1980 Eclat (gone)
1963 Elan S1 (gone)
1970 Europa S2 (gone)

Offline BDA

« Reply #10 on: Friday,April 21, 2023, 05:59:20 PM »
Great to have you here for the long term! I hope your and our concerns will end up being unfounded. Please keep us updated on your progress!

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #11 on: Friday,April 21, 2023, 06:20:46 PM »
  :Welcome:

I hope I am wrong…..but my chassis was less rusty looking and I took my car apart to make repairs to the front T - section
« Last Edit: Friday,April 21, 2023, 06:32:08 PM by TurboFource »
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #12 on: Monday,April 24, 2023, 07:43:10 AM »
Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the forum.  Cheers :beerchug:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor