Author Topic: S1 on ebay  (Read 316 times)

Offline Polopharm

S1 on ebay
« on: Tuesday,August 09, 2022, 08:43:50 AM »
Not sure where to post this....
2k starting bid on an s1.
Is set up with an old school 1980s toyota ohv engine mated to a porsche transaxle.
Modified wheel arches. Total project.
I must admit i like the rounded wheel well/flares.
And am intereste
d in info on the porsche tranny. Does that allow use of regular cv joints? Why is that not a more common swap? ( to vw axles)
No idea why the would choose a 70hp engine for a swap....

Offline BDA

Re: S1 on ebay
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,August 09, 2022, 08:59:14 AM »
In the Classified Forums section, there is this subforum: http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?board=11.0
That's normally where ebay, BaT, Craigslist notices go. It's nice to include a link so I'll include it here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/255667402718?hash=item3b86f6f7de:g:ybsAAOSwiEpi8S1K

It does seem like Porsche trannies would be a common swap but they are rarely done. I suspect for the cost and because Renault trannies are fairly available. I would think a Porsche tranny would be better for high output engines but there again, some of the Renault trannies do just fine with the engines most people have.

Another member did a lot of work on converting everything from the tranny out to VW parts. I think it would be a great swap for probably the weakest area of the car. Here is his write up: http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=4782.0

Getting back to ebay car, it looks like he started an interesting build but the engine seems out of place with what I assume is a much beefier tranny and drive gear. I would have thought he would choose a better engine since he had to work out hooking a tranny and engine from different manufacturers anyway. Maybe he just had that stuff lying aroung...

Offline jbcollier

Re: S1 on ebay
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,August 09, 2022, 10:27:43 AM »
Porsches tend not to have much torque so have low first gears with a noticeable jump to second and then nicely spaced ratios for the rest.  Used boxes are $$$ but there are lots of gear options available, also not cheap.  It's not a hypoid diff so you can flip the ring gear if needed.  Standard final drives range from 3.85 (sportomatic), 4.43 (common) to, ulp, 5.29 (!).  If you have the $$$ you could build to suit.

In contrast I'm building up a five speed Renault box using parts from a 352, 395 and a 365.  I had the 352 pinion shaft modified to 365 spec which will give me a 3.56 diff with 365 gears and a 395 shift arrangement.  All in, with three boxes purchased, two given full overhauls (bearings, synchros, seals and gaskets),  a torsion diff, and custom machining, I still under the price of a used 901/15 transaxle.