Author Topic: Wheel Men...Drivers of the Lotus 49  (Read 78891 times)

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
Re: Wheel Men...Drivers of the Lotus 49
« Reply #90 on: Saturday,March 21, 2015, 12:09:01 PM »
Let's not forget the 49 while down under. The Tasman series showcased the prowess of Team Lotus no matter what size engine was installed. Jimmy seems to be making engine noises while in a paddock pose at Warwick Farms.

The second photo is quite interesting... Clark, side by side with Hill...you can see the front end "squat" under braking. ld

Notice the parked Cortina's ? ...yes, both of them!
« Last Edit: Saturday,March 21, 2015, 12:15:35 PM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #91 on: Tuesday,April 07, 2015, 04:37:43 AM »
On this day...4/7/1968...RIP   

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #92 on: Friday,May 29, 2015, 10:04:48 PM »
With the last current race at Monaco I figured to go back a few years to recollect Graham's 5Th win in 1969...

Let me start with the previous race at Barcelona, both Jochen Rindt and Graham had wing failures causing violent crashes. Hill was lucky to escape unharmed but Rindt suffered a broken nose and was quite banged up. Richard Atwood was hired to fill in and drive during his recuperation. The first practice on Thursday saw the cars with wings and the organizers decided to ban them for the race. Ken Tyrell was miffed and protested as Stewart in the Matra broke the existing lap record. No matter, the race would be sans large rear aero foils.

Graham went on to collect his victory as the team was best equipped to reconfigure the chassis set up to make him the...
 " Master of Monaco"

Pic 1...Thursday practice....#2....Stewart leads Atwood

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #93 on: Monday,June 01, 2015, 07:02:17 AM »
If you follow Formula one on a regular basis, you may be aware of "Grid boys" at Monaco last race weekend. Yes, instead of those lovely gals holding the starting position placards, it was decided to have a few young men perform the duties. I consider this a sacrilege to the image of motorsport. Mind you...sexual preference aside...there seems to be something wrong with this concept. One of the many allures of racing has always been danger, fast cars and great looking girls. The image of that special kiss in victory lane or "Miss Hurst shifter" come to mind.

This brings me back to the good old days...amen. ld   
« Last Edit: Monday,June 01, 2015, 07:06:49 AM by Lou Drozdowski »

Online BDA

« Reply #94 on: Monday,June 01, 2015, 08:10:15 AM »
Agreed! Thankfully, I didn't notice the 'grid boys' when I watched Monaco. I would have been severely disappointed!

Apropos sex and racing - I liked Jackie Stewart's comment about that during his time as a driver. He said that was when sex was safe and driving was dangerous.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #95 on: Monday,June 01, 2015, 09:04:17 AM »
Agreed! Thankfully, I didn't notice the 'grid boys' when I watched Monaco. I would have been severely disappointed!

Apropos sex and racing - I liked Jackie Stewart's comment about that during his time as a driver. He said that was when sex was safe and driving was dangerous.

and I believe he said cornering in an F1 car was like bringing a woman to an orgasm.

They must have cornered very slowly in his time..............

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #96 on: Wednesday,June 17, 2015, 07:01:14 AM »
With the return of Mexico on this year's F1 schedule it seems fitting to mention Moises Solana. Having participated in a total of eight Grand Prix for various teams, his tenure as a one off driver lasted from 1963 to 1968. Oddly enough, his legend to Formula One in the early years was to have been the only entrant to use the number 13 for BRM during a race. He also went on to race Can Am and some USAC events with a McLaren. Sadly, he lost his life in a hill climb crash in 68 ...Overshadowed by the famous Rodriguez brothers, he is still revered in his native country as pioneer to break into the F1 ranks.

footnote...Pastor Maldonado is the only F1 driver to race with the #13 since Solana. ld
« Last Edit: Tuesday,October 06, 2015, 03:32:58 PM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #97 on: Wednesday,June 17, 2015, 08:30:28 AM »
Very interesting history lesson. Thanks Lou.
He may not have been famous, but driving the 49 in anger must be worth something.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Online BDA

« Reply #98 on: Wednesday,June 17, 2015, 09:28:19 AM »
As usual, a fun history lesson from you, Lou!

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #99 on: Friday,July 10, 2015, 06:55:07 PM »
Interesting note on the Moises Solana drive at Mexico. He used chassis R4 which is still active today.
 Clark started with chassis R1...while Graham Hill used chassis R3. ld

Top shot...Clark in 1967, and the other is R4 seen at Goodwood in 2014. Not much change really, less the catch tank and rear light for safety with the short roll hoop. The cooling system plumbing has seemed to have worked it's way over to the right side. I like the similar photo angles.
« Last Edit: Friday,July 10, 2015, 07:03:16 PM by Lou Drozdowski »

Online BDA

« Reply #100 on: Friday,July 10, 2015, 08:27:18 PM »
A relative old timer when I was racing told me that initially, they didn't mind if the roll bar was below the top of the helmet because the driver's neck and back would compress. I don't know if that's true, but you have to wonder what they thought that bar was for if it was below the top of the helmet!

More great pictures, Lou! Thanks!

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #101 on: Thursday,July 30, 2015, 05:40:23 PM »
 Reflections...The quiet Champion, Graham Hill.

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #102 on: Thursday,August 20, 2015, 01:44:28 PM »
I've been waiting for this weekend...to hell with setting clutch bite points!  ld

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #103 on: Tuesday,October 06, 2015, 03:28:45 PM »
Barcelona 1969...Well before red bull gave you "Wings"

Aero for the track was the black hole to engineers in the late 60's and a few had decided to push the envelope. Jochen Rindt,Graham Hill and Jo Siffert in the 49b.     
« Last Edit: Wednesday,October 07, 2015, 04:20:09 PM by Lou Drozdowski »

Online BDA

« Reply #104 on: Tuesday,October 06, 2015, 06:07:02 PM »
Great picture (again), Lou. That must have been after the time of bi-planes where wings were above both the front and rear axles. It's striking how spindly the wing struts were. They didn't appear to have an appreciation for the loads those wings generated. That became painfully clear when they broke on Graham Hill's and Jochen Rindt's car later on the 72, I believe.

I think it's interesting that the Chaparrals were running wings mounted on the rear uprights for two years before the F1 guys decided to try it. The Chaparral wings were adjustable under driver control and my memory was that the F1 wings were also controlled by the driver - at least at some point - becaues after they started failing on the F1 cars (don't remember if other cars besides Lotus has a problem), the FIA banned "movable aerodynamic devices" on all race cars which outlawed the movable wings on the Chaparrals. If they were controlled by the driver, I don't know that I ever knew how it was accomplished.

Sorry for wandering a bit off the topic of the picture, but that era was pivotal since aerodynamics and stickier slicks came together and transformed all road racing!