Author Topic: Wheel Men...Drivers of the Lotus 49  (Read 78910 times)

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
Re: Wheel Men...Drivers of the Lotus 49
« Reply #285 on: Friday,April 12, 2019, 02:49:59 AM »
This weekend's Chinese grand prix will mark the 1000Th formula one race.

Part of the celebration will include a static demo and parade laps of the 49, with Damon Hill as honorary driver.

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #286 on: Friday,May 10, 2019, 06:41:18 AM »
With this weekend's Spanish grand prix on the plate, I'm reminded of a turning point in the sport.

The wing era had outpaced the dynamic loads placed on the cars, as evidenced in 1969's race by the dual failures for Rindt and Hill. Graham was lucky to walk away...Jochen ended in hospital, and during his recovery penned the infamous letter to Colin to strengthen the 49 or quit the team.
The crashes forced a complete ban on the device and the FIA then decided to regulate size, height, mounting location and materials going forward.   

Offline BDA

« Reply #287 on: Friday,May 10, 2019, 07:08:26 AM »
It was lucky that both of them survived. Rindt was a strange bird at the time in that he was actually concerned enough about the safety of his cars that he would refuse to drive it if he didn't feel it was safe (trying to drive Monza without a wing not withstanding). Later, when Chunky hired Mario, Mario insisted that parts must be tested for strength. I wonder just how much stress analysis was done during the design of race cars back then. I'm thinking not much. After all, Can Am cars had had wings for a year or two by then without the catastrophic failures Hill and Rindt experienced.

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #288 on: Friday,May 10, 2019, 11:44:13 AM »
The letter...Jochen's plea to Chapman.

Offline BDA

« Reply #289 on: Friday,May 10, 2019, 01:27:24 PM »
A guy on the yahoo group had this signature for his posts:

"When I notice a rear wheel overtaking me, I know I'm sitting in a Lotus." - Jochen Rindt

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #290 on: Friday,May 10, 2019, 02:41:09 PM »
Very interesting, Lou. Thanks for posting the letter.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #291 on: Friday,May 24, 2019, 06:18:22 PM »
Changing of the guard...Monaco 1969 retrospective

Graham Hill would win his fifth Monte Carlo event, with three Lotus 49's in the top four.
 This would be Graham's last victory for Team Lotus...
Piers Courage Brabham took next spot, with Siffert's Rob Walker Lotus third. Dick Atwood put in a fine showing in the other team car in a one off drive to finish fourth.

It was always regarded the way forward for a driver in the sport, was to make a splash at the F3 race.

Driving a Tecno, young Ronnie Peterson put it on pole, and won heat one.  Rene Wisell duplicated the feat in his Chevron for heat two. What followed was an epic wheel to wheel battle for twelve laps, as Peterson held on for the victory. Both young Swede's fortunes would benefit, with promotions to the upper ranks the following season. Wisell getting a works ride with Lotus and Peterson going to March.     
« Last Edit: Friday,May 24, 2019, 06:20:15 PM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline BDA

« Reply #292 on: Friday,May 24, 2019, 06:53:01 PM »
The beginning of the legend of Super Swede!

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #293 on: Friday,May 24, 2019, 08:55:11 PM »
I’m digging that photo of Hill’s Lotus. It’s a cool angle with the car at what must be pretty close to full lock. It’s a cool view of the duck tail wing, too.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #294 on: Monday,May 27, 2019, 10:45:28 AM »
I have to say I am always awestruck on how many period images you have and the stories to go with them. It is really amazing.  Thank you for sharing this information.  I love the letter to Chapman, very interesting to see the communications of the racers in period with the team. 
Ross
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #295 on: Friday,June 28, 2019, 02:27:44 PM »
I have to say I am always awestruck on how many period images you have and the stories to go with them. It is really amazing.  Thank you for sharing this information.  I love the letter to Chapman, very interesting to see the communications of the racers in period with the team. 
Ross
...Right back at ya Rosco...Thanks
It's important to me to pass on the images and stories...

Earlier in this thread we relived the 1968 USGP. I thought of the daunting task awaiting Jackie Oliver as he faced off against team mates Graham Hill and "Hired Gun" of the Ford Motor Company...
Mario Andretti

This was the old circuit of 2.35 miles... the down hill section towards the light bulb after the long back stretch had not been built yet. It was cold and grey, the estimated crowd of 93k were there to cheer on the home town heroes of Mario, Dan Gurney and Bobby Unser.

The gathering was treated to a historic qualifying tussle as seven drivers fought it out to see who be on top. The field of Stewart (Matra),Hill (Lotus), Amon(Ferrari), Hulme (Mclaren), Rindt(Brabham}  were separated by a scant .6 tenths and could not match Mario who posted a 1:04.20

Stewart would claim the victory as Mario, while leading damaged the nose cone and pitted on lap twelve. His efforts ended fighting back from 19Th with a clutch failure on lap thirty three. Graham drove at steady pace to take second.

As far as Oliver...well lets say the had a better night at the Glen Motor Inn and celebrated Stewart's F1's record pay out purse of $10 thousand for winning!

footnote...If you look closely, you can see the burn scars from the Indy race on Mario's face.

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #296 on: Friday,July 12, 2019, 07:01:21 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM54gTXqybs&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR09Lf5HjSUdndiIa9RfZGdJemeA9D6TEMbaSg1QgufKbArmEWCGkw9v9DQ

I always have welcomed the refreshing commentary of Peter Windsor...

He always delivers a spot on overview, with those interesting details of the men and machines of the glory years of formula one.

Hope you enjoy...Jim Clark's greatest race 

Offline BDA

« Reply #297 on: Friday,July 12, 2019, 08:04:12 AM »
Great recounting of a great race. Thanks Lou!

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #298 on: Saturday,August 10, 2019, 12:10:25 PM »
Just Faces..

We tend to forget the simple images of the men who drove the 49 and dared to be great.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #299 on: Monday,August 12, 2019, 09:05:40 AM »
Cool photos, Lou. Graham always has that period smooth look, like he should be working in a bank rather than the cockpit of a Lotus 49.

Trevor