Author Topic: Wheels across the pond.  (Read 4110 times)

Offline cwtech

Re: Wheels across the pond.
« Reply #15 on: Saturday,March 14, 2020, 12:23:27 PM »
Things are crazy around here (NJ) as well.

We went to the supermarket yesterday, not out of panic, but to do normal weekly shopping. ...We do not own a large freezer, so we shop more frequently.

Business was booming to the point there was hardly any merchandise on the shelves. ....No meats, canned vegetables, soups, paper products, detergent, soaps, cereals, crackers, bottled water, etc. ....Only things not sold out were milk, eggs, cheese, and produce with short shelf-life. ...Basically, anything which could be frozen or stored was sold out.

We talked with one employee who stated as fast as they get a delivery and re-stock, it's gone from the shelves. ....He stated while they normally re-stock 2000 items on Thursday, they re-stocked 10,000 items and most were gone by mid-day Friday. .....While this is good for today's business, the hoarders will not be purchasing the excess items for quite some time.

It's ironic that we are being told to avoid large groups of people to minimize spread of the virus, yet the supermarkets, Walmarts, Costcos, BJ's, Sam's Clubs, etc are packed with people! ....Governments, organizations, companies, schools, churches and events are being closed, cancelled, minimized, or postponed.

Trump is getting blamed for not reacting sooner. ....I'm sure he is/was acting on information that is/was available to him at the time. ....The CDC did not have a good understanding or enough information in advance to anticipate all needs. ....The RATE of spread caught many people, governments, and countries off-guard.

Nature's way of population control? ....Darwin's theory? ....God culling the herd? ....Time will tell.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #16 on: Saturday,March 14, 2020, 03:51:41 PM »
The craziness of people is a bigger concern to me than Covid-19. The stores are a mad house...glad I don't live in a crowded suburb or city!!!

You almost are forced to follow the crowd and stock up along with them....unless you like using your hand for toilet paper :huh:

Sadly, whatever our leadership does they will be bashed for not doing the opposite.....
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #17 on: Sunday,March 15, 2020, 04:57:59 AM »
I continue to be blown away by the production quality of your videos Certified. I had to look up Russian Frigate 356 to see how it got there. Very cool!
t

Thanks Surf! My dive videos are a bit long (around 30 minutes) but that is on purpose to replicate what a typical dive might be like (although my personal dives are usually 60 minutes or longer).  If you haven’t been to Little Cayman Island i would rate it as the best diving in the Caribbean. Just need to realize there is nothing else to do there (which is fine with me). Yes, how the Russian frigate got there is a good story. I have dove that wreck 4 times and once before the hurricane tore it up (when it was intact). It’s always a great dive (and I’m not a wreck diver).

Bonaire was my favorite place for years when I was teaching my two sons to dive. We always stayed at Harbour Village (it’s the nicest resort on the island with the dive shop and boat right there). Can’t beat Bonnaire for easy diving. Fairly shallow, almost no current, lots of underwater life, protected reefs, great visibility. And in the evening the walk to downtown for dinner was always a treat. Lots of restaurants. 

Here is one of my dive videos of Bonaire:

https://youtu.be/2Znoa9d_mE8

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #18 on: Sunday,March 15, 2020, 05:14:22 AM »
(snipped quote)
We experienced a big run on hand sanitizer, sanitizing wipes and spray disinfectant. Toilet paper and paper towels. All no longer available on the shelves of grocery stores weeks ago (N95 face masks were gone over a month ago).

Right after the President’s public address on TV Wednesday night, there was a rush for dry, canned and frozen food. The major urban cities had many empty grocery shelves and here in the North East of the US there are massive lines to get into the “big box” stores like Costco.

The CDC is saying to have a 14 day supply of food in your house in case of quarantine due to contracting the coronavirus. 

This week has seen a lot of  private schools, colleges and universities, and sports stadiums close down. For months. I live in Princeton NJ and the university closed the campus last week with everyone asked to leave. Next semester (right after spring break) will be entirely on line. No classes in person. None. My youngest son’s college in Georgia just extended spring break an additional week and then the spring semester is entirely on-line. No human interaction.

Wow. That is a lot more than is going on over here although in my heart (head ?) I think you're on the right tracks.

We also had a big run on hand sanitiser a week or so ago and surprisingly also on toilet rolls for some reason that evades me, but it happened. 

This week, for the first time in my memory we did our weekly shop at Tesco (big over here) and the shelves were empty of pasta.  Tinned stuff was thin on the ground as well, another surprise as normally this place is like Costco.    I immediately made sure I'd got the important stuff (Bombay Sapphire) and called it quits at that. I work on the principle that if there's no alcohol sanitiser left, perhaps I should go for internal application and catch any germs by surprise  ;)

Being more serious, we live fairly remotely so are used to keeping freezers stocked and normally plan for at least a couple of weeks disruption over winter.  Our neighbours are the same but I guess most folks in the UK are used to topping up daily and that's why there's panic.

But we still don't have venue closures on the scale of Italy, Spain and now we can add you guys to the list as well.  Pubs, cafes, restaurants, schools, universities, cinema, etc, are open as normal which I'm starting to find a bit disconcerting.

It's not political (I voted for our current government) but I just wish they would stop acting like "we know best, everyone else is wrong".  Cynically I can't help but think it's more about the economy than public health. 

Brian

Brian (and everyone else). If you want an honest understanding of what reality is watch the CNN documentary created in 2017 called “Unseen Enemy - Pandemic”.  Spooky that they forecasted COVID-19 in 2017. The documentary is 1 1/2 hours long. You would all be advised to watch every minute. It will provide a realistic education based on science of what is happening. And might change your perspective on the situation we are in the midst of.

Like you, I live in a semi rural area. Surrounded by farms on a secondary road. My wife and I went for a walk yesterday down the road. Didn’t see a soul. We also have a 1500 acre woodland preserve within walking distance (1/4 mile) so the ability to go outside and be in nature is easy for us without worries of community spread of the virus. It’s a bit surreal that we (my wife and I) are somewhat removed and at the same time very near major metropolitan areas (New York & Philadelphia) that will be impacted in a significant way.

I stocked up on good red wine for the long haul. Just might need it to stay “heathy”.

I wish everyone the best in this difficult time.
« Last Edit: Sunday,March 15, 2020, 05:21:00 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #19 on: Sunday,March 15, 2020, 06:13:12 AM »
Will try to watch that Certified!
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline BDA

« Reply #20 on: Sunday,March 15, 2020, 11:01:15 AM »

Great video, Certified! That looks like it was a fun trip!

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #21 on: Monday,March 16, 2020, 06:29:19 AM »
I continue to be blown away by the production quality of your videos Certified. I had to look up Russian Frigate 356 to see how it got there. Very cool!
t

Thanks Surf! My dive videos are a bit long (around 30 minutes) but that is on purpose to replicate what a typical dive might be like (although my personal dives are usually 60 minutes or longer).  If you haven’t been to Little Cayman Island i would rate it as the best diving in the Caribbean. Just need to realize there is nothing else to do there (which is fine with me). Yes, how the Russian frigate got there is a good story. I have dove that wreck 4 times and once before the hurricane tore it up (when it was intact). It’s always a great dive (and I’m not a wreck diver).

Bonaire was my favorite place for years when I was teaching my two sons to dive. We always stayed at Harbour Village (it’s the nicest resort on the island with the dive shop and boat right there). Can’t beat Bonnaire for easy diving. Fairly shallow, almost no current, lots of underwater life, protected reefs, great visibility. And in the evening the walk to downtown for dinner was always a treat. Lots of restaurants. 

I think we just officially double-hijacked this thread. (Car show to Covid-19 to scuba diving.) Glen, I’ll PM you re scuba in Bonaire.
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #22 on: Tuesday,March 31, 2020, 11:48:16 AM »
It’s been rescheduled to halloween.
http://www.wheelsacrossthepond.com/
I hope you can make that Dave (Dakazman).

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #23 on: Friday,September 18, 2020, 05:54:14 AM »
Wheels Across the Pond has been delayed again until April 3rd, 2021

Offline BDA

« Reply #24 on: Friday,September 18, 2020, 07:38:47 AM »
That should give everybody time to get ready!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #25 on: Friday,September 18, 2020, 04:13:57 PM »
  So glad to get another goal line . This date seems to be doable. Hope to see my Florida friends there with my car.
Dakazman