Author Topic: Suspension upgrades  (Read 1959 times)

Offline Gmg31

Suspension upgrades
« on: Tuesday,March 13, 2018, 03:37:29 AM »
with the chaos of the current Banks parts debacle I’m struggling to find a new parts supplier to upgrade my suspension.  The old Spax set up on my car is terrible but I didn’t know that until I got her back on the road. 

Offline jbcollier

Re: Suspension upgrades
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,March 13, 2018, 04:43:54 AM »
You can buy AVO direct:

http://www.avouk.com

Go to the downloads page and click on:

Twin Tube Specific Applications

Not sure if they come with springs though.

There is a chap in Australia who supplies ready made AVO shock and spring packages for the Europa:

http://www.avoaustralia.com.au/index.htm

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,March 13, 2018, 04:52:37 AM »
I bought my adjustable shocks and springs from SJS.  I am very impressed with them.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,March 13, 2018, 08:00:52 AM »
Another manufacturer to consider is GAZ. I ordered a set of fronts for my S1A from my fabricator who also happens to be a GAZ distributor, total cost including shipping was $250/pair. I bought the front springs for another $67/spring. Will be ordering the rears later on this year. Visually, the construction appears to be very well made, probably a little better than the Spax I had on my S2.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,March 13, 2018, 10:26:25 AM »
with the chaos of the current Banks parts debacle I’m struggling to find a new parts supplier to upgrade my suspension.  The old Spax set up on my car is terrible but I didn’t know that until I got her back on the road.
Well as you'll be aware, I bought my suspension from SJS who sell Protech gear but I think you can buy direct and I've certainly spent time ploughing through their spring ranges to see what you can buy off the shelf.

http://www.protechshocks.co.uk/

The snag is though that unless you want to blaze your own trail I found that the advice on spring rates is wide ranging and at times downright confusing. So you might want to wait until Richard is back in business and ask his advice if you want to uprate your suspension.   If you're happy with the existing spring rates then there's no reason why you can't just buy the dampers from either AVO or Protech in the UK and order standard spec springs to go with them. 

Adjustable dampers on their own will make a difference to the ride if your SPAX are worn, so you might want to try the OEM spring rates before moving on (or not !)   Springs are relatively cheap compared with dampers, £60 or so buys you a pair so it's not a big deal to change all four 12 months down the line.  And at least that way you'll know what the car should ride like at standard spec and what your upgrades have bought you.

Brian

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,March 13, 2018, 12:00:08 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I rang a company today who could supply Gax but there is a 4 week wait.  AVO can’t supply springs but also can’t supply anything this month.   spax couldn’t give advice until I had removed the old ones and rang them back with the part number of my current dampers. 
I hadn’t considered SJS I’ve always used him for my Elan so I’ll ring him tomorrow.

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,March 13, 2018, 01:50:27 PM »
Sorry to hear of the delay, I got the full set of AVO's with springs from Richard...
 No complaints & very happy with them. 

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,March 17, 2018, 01:02:04 PM »
Rang SJ Sportscars on Thursday.  He has 18 full sets of Protech with springs on the shelves. £514 Next day delivery.  Very pretty.  I have these on my Elan so I know they are very good. 

Offline dakazman

« Reply #8 on: Saturday,March 17, 2018, 05:14:57 PM »
Jojo
r manufacturer to consider is GAZ. I ordered a set of fronts for my S1A from my fabricator who also happens to be a GAZ distributor, total cost including shipping was $250/pair. I bought the front springs for another $67/spring. Will be ordering the rears later on this year. Visually, the construction appears to be very well made, probably a little better than the Spax I had on my S2.

Thanks for the post😀
I’ll be calling the Florida distributor Monday for my s2.
Dave

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #9 on: Sunday,March 18, 2018, 12:14:42 AM »
 :lotus:
Rang SJ Sportscars on Thursday.  He has 18 full sets of Protech with springs on the shelves. £514 Next day delivery.  Very pretty.  I have these on my Elan so I know they are very good.
Yep, that's what I did as well. They do look smart, don't they ?

I started up with the dampers at zero and with no great science behind it just increased the rates until I felt the ride quality was too harsh. I quite like firm suspension on a car but Richard on the Yahoo group also fitted Protech to his S2 and I think he runs his softer on the road and adjusts for trackdays. Depends on your roads and driving I suppose and there's no "right answer" to adjustment.

I also fitted some rubber over the damper body in case the springs rubbed.  Again it was low tech, an old mountain bike inner tube....   ;)

Offline BDA

« Reply #10 on: Sunday,March 18, 2018, 05:26:45 AM »
That inner tube is a good idea. r.d. Sells, or used to sell, a kit with a sheet of teflon and glue for that purpose. Your idea is a lot cheaper and sounds easier!

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #11 on: Sunday,March 18, 2018, 04:40:54 PM »
For those of you here in the states, I've been getting my springs from Pitstop USA. A pretty good selection of coil over springs at decent prices.

https://pitstopusa.com/c-1059698-chassis-suspension-springs-coil-over-springs-shop-coil-over-springs-by-size.html

This where I got my 1.9" by 8" front springs for the S1.