Author Topic: House remodel  (Read 16992 times)

Offline BDA

Re: House remodel
« Reply #75 on: Sunday,June 30, 2019, 09:26:26 PM »
Looks great as usual!

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #76 on: Tuesday,July 09, 2019, 05:30:22 AM »
There is more progress! This is going to be the future home for all abandoned Europas in north Texas. I was joking around with my friend who has a +2 that I could fit 10 cars under it if I park them sideways. He responded that I could fit 20 if I stack them... The sad thing is that I had already had the thought before the words had come out of his mouth...

This is also going to be the future spray booth.... Roof goes on later this week. Gutters and trim are up next week.

Not sure why that truck picture is tilted...

Offline BDA

« Reply #77 on: Tuesday,July 09, 2019, 06:19:26 AM »
You're going to have one hell of a shop when you finally finish it! Hurry up so you can get some work done on your Lotus!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #78 on: Tuesday,July 09, 2019, 09:14:36 AM »
Dang , they really do things bigger in Texas.
Dakazman

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #79 on: Thursday,August 01, 2019, 09:27:05 PM »
Working on a front gate to enclose the covered storage. It will match the horizontal cedar I put in the gable. Here is a shot of the paintbooth as well. Should be coming up soon!

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #80 on: Tuesday,October 15, 2019, 04:32:06 PM »
My friend who helped in the construction of the paint booth had first dibs on it. Unfortunately he ran in to some snags which pushed my painting projects back to October... I am trying to get everything done before it gets too cold. Right now I am doing some respray work on the M3. I bought a CSL trunk because mine had some hail damage, and the bumpers needed some love... Shot the backside first and I am glad I did. The color is "Carbon Black" but it was actually a mistake to shoot it over a black sealer coat. There is a subtle indigo and violet hue to the color which was lost when painting it over a black surface. Going to shoot a few color cards to see if I can get a sealer coat color dialed in for a color match. This is my first time matching a color...Dman come to my rescue!!!

Other than the color match I am happy with how it came out.

After this little job I am going to try and squeeze the last parts of the truck that did not get painted in so that I can assemble the thing and get it out of the way for the Lotus.

It feels weird not to have a house project looming over me all the time...I am pretty sure I have Stockholm syndrome...Not that I don't have enough to do lol....

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #81 on: Tuesday,October 15, 2019, 04:36:17 PM »
Forgot to add a finished shot of the carport gate.

Offline BDA

« Reply #82 on: Tuesday,October 15, 2019, 04:56:23 PM »
So you and D'man are going to compete on painting project, eh! Great work!

Hopefully, you'll be working on a Lotus soon!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #83 on: Tuesday,October 15, 2019, 07:21:28 PM »
is "Carbon Black" but it was actually a mistake to shoot it over a black sealer coat. There is a subtle indigo and violet hue to the color which was lost when painting it over a black surface. Going to shoot a few color cards to see if I can get a sealer coat color dialed in for a color match. This is my first time matching a color...Dman come to my rescue!!!

Who is the mfg of the paint?  My son in law and his grandfather is the masters being in the paint supplier for forty years. I do know exactly what your saying. Some paint colors have strict base colors and primers. I’m spraying cobalt black for a friend right now .
Nice clean room! Ever watch ,Dexter.
Hope I’m not to late.  I passed on your info .

The gate looks great!
D’man
« Last Edit: Tuesday,October 15, 2019, 07:35:22 PM by dakazman »

Offline dakazman

« Reply #84 on: Wednesday,October 16, 2019, 04:14:13 AM »
 Hi Duke
  Here is his answer:
 He needs to add more coats of paint. It sounds like it's a transparent black. There are actually 3 different black tints in the cormax line. Putting the topcoat over a tinted primer isn't a good idea,  because that means that if there is a spot with more or less paint it will be MORE visible. The best route is to have a spray out card with one coat, and then cover up a strip with tape and do a second, another another ect... until he achieves full color saturation. That way he will be able to know how many coats he needs to do to achieve full color saturation.

Dakazman

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #85 on: Wednesday,October 16, 2019, 06:48:56 PM »
Thank you Dman! I called my local paint rep and your son in law's answer is much more detailed. The base coat is PPG Deltron. I was planning to get a few strips on Friday and try my hands at it.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #86 on: Thursday,October 24, 2019, 09:55:37 AM »
Just a quick update. It turned out to be a bad match. I had the paint company mix it to the paint code. Their computer had no other variations of this color logged. It was my mistake not to take a painted piece of the car in when I had them mix it. It was far too dark. I had a second shop in town look in to it and they had over a dozen variations of this color in their computer. They hand matched and it turned out pretty good!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #87 on: Thursday,October 24, 2019, 04:42:36 PM »
   Glad you got sorted out. The finish looks really good.
It must feel good to get some jobs behind you.
Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #88 on: Thursday,October 24, 2019, 05:12:14 PM »
Looks great, Chuck! When do we see some Europa parts?  :)

Offline dakazman

« Reply #89 on: Friday,October 25, 2019, 04:07:31 PM »
   Hey Chuck , On a side note my son in law blended this formula for a panel and fenders match for a custom build. Two days to get it perfect.
D’man