Author Topic: New member  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Argo

« on: Tuesday,January 17, 2017, 03:39:26 AM »
Hi guys (and gals). I have just joined this community and am looking forward to contribute how I can to it.

I live in Malta, that's a tiny island about 100 kilometers south of Sicily for those who have never heard of it and I have a 1973 Europa Special since, well 1973. I drove it out of the Hethel factory myself and then drove it across Europe to Malta. It has been great fun to own and I have competed with it in many hillclimbs and other events. It is still in original paint and upholstery and in very good condition considering its age. I do not race it any more now because my reasoning is that I have got away with a lot and don't want to damage it now after all this time.

Anyway, I have encountered probably all of the problems one can encounter on a Europa over the last almost 44 years, so I will be more than happy to share that with you.

There is also a 23B (1962) and an Elan +2(1969) in the stable and my son has an Exige and an Esprit V8 Turbo. So you can see it's a genetic affliction.

Offline buzzer

Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,January 17, 2017, 03:56:15 AM »
Welcome on board.Great to have another ..sort of UK linked. note the nice pic Valletta rally  8). Been over there a few years ago, I know there is a lot of classic cars on the island.
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline kiwiokie

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,January 17, 2017, 05:27:12 AM »
Great pic and a wonderful stable of Loti!  23B is one I would love to own....and an 18....and a 49....

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,January 17, 2017, 05:51:15 AM »
 :Welcome:  Argo!

Your car looks great and you have some other nice Loti as well! I'm envious!

There aren't many original owners out there. I am as well but unfortunately, most of the time mine was in pieces or being worked on. How many miles do you have on it?

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,January 17, 2017, 10:45:05 AM »
Welcome to the forum. An original owner with your experience will have many stories to tell, I'm sure. I'm very glad to have you aboard. I'm jealous of your 23B, also. Cheers :beerchug:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Argo

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,January 17, 2017, 11:38:17 AM »
My Europa has about 30,000 miles. I have adjustable upper wishbones at the front and adjustable lower links at the back. At present it has L14 cams and a 4 in 1 exhaust but I am considering putting everything back to original specs. I also relocated the brake servo behind the left rear wheel arch because the heat from the exhaust was killing it. The distributor is  a 123ignition which is a wonderful piece of kit. I have the original alloy wheels stacked away in the garage and running on 6" Minilites with Toyo tyres.

Here's a photo from 1976 taken at a hillclimb.

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,January 17, 2017, 01:37:42 PM »
Boy! 30,000 miles over 43 years isn't much! You know, you can drive it to the store!  :)

I look forward to hearing about your perspective as a long term owner!

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,January 18, 2017, 03:02:08 AM »
Welcome Argo,
And a very nice collection!
Looking forward to learning of what 40+ years of owning a Lotus is like.

Offline EuropatcSPECIAL

• Europa Special 74, Elan Sprint 73
« Reply #8 on: Friday,January 20, 2017, 10:02:04 AM »
 :lotus:                                        Welcome Argo                :Welcome: