Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

Twin Cam Special radio

(1/5) > >>

rjbaren:
Today I installed a radio.  It worked fine till I started the engine, then pure static and noise.  Doesn't matter if it is the radio or CD.  I connected the continuous power from the fuse box next to the connection where the brown wire is.     The ignition wire came from an adapter from the previous owner's under dash cassette deck. Does anyone have any ideas on how to correct this? 

BDA:
Are you running resistance cables or plugs?

rjbaren:
I just pulled a plug.  It is an NGK BCP5ES.  Not sure about the wires.  I will have to look for the invoice.

jbcollier:
Those are non-resistor plugs.

Welcome to a fibreglass car.

There is a whole procedure in the manual for when you fit a radio.  Basically you install capacitors on all the motors, some of the switches, coil (+ side), and build a faraday cage around the distributor, wires and spark plugs. Pretty involved and not a complete success when you are done.

BDA:
JB has the real scoop but I have to say that I use resistor plugs (and wires which are required for Pertronix ignition) and don't do any of the other things he mentioned and it seems to work for me (that could be that my ears are not that sensitive!). I would try BPR5ES (I think that's the resistance version of what you have) first and see what happens.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version