Author Topic: 54/1451 2GR swap  (Read 13191 times)

Offline BDA

Re: 54/1451 2GR swap
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday,March 24, 2020, 04:11:18 PM »
More very interesting stuff, Clifton! Does it go as good as you expected? Is the lag significant? I'm guessing it made it a bit quieter.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #61 on: Tuesday,March 24, 2020, 05:27:10 PM »
Yes, as good as I was expecting power wise. I knew I was boost limited on the factory ecu and compression so I wasn't going to get a lot more out of it. It is quite a bit quieter. I had a lot of intake noise. All 2GR's do with open filters and sound the same. Not like a V6 at all. It is a more stealth now. You can here the spool up and then just air rushing. Two mufflers keep it pretty quite too.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #62 on: Wednesday,October 06, 2021, 06:33:13 AM »
Clifton,

What an amazing car you have built! How has it been running since you put the turbo in?

Offline Clifton

« Reply #63 on: Wednesday,October 06, 2021, 10:45:11 AM »
Thanks Chuck.

It's good now. I was having too much boost creep even after porting the .63 wastegate I was running (internal) so I went with a larger GT3584 turbo with an internal gated .82 turbine housing. This compressor map better suits the engine flow and low boost.

I was also having too much knock, according to my retarded timing logs so I piggybacked the factory ecu with a Mapecu3. A Lotus Evora S guy was kind enough to log his timing, MAF, boost, and RPM from Torque Pro. They run 5 psi on the same engine so I used his timing and added to that after 5 psi. I'm running about 7 psi that creeps to about 8.5 psi at redline. Same as the new 430 Evora's that make 430 hp but they do it with cats and supercharger so I'm at least 430 plus a few. I also put in some 440cc AMG injectors as it was too lean with more boost. Lotus runs a 550 but they aren't the same style. These fit with some injector harness adapters but I still had to bump the fuel pressure a little higher. It's not too much that they throw a code without tuning them down though. My long terms fuel trims are around -21% but the afr is perfect under boost. I wanted to avoid intercepting and tuning the MAF signal, just timing under boost.

It's stupid fast. I have traction control set at 12% slip and it barely comes on in first, according to the graph. Just two little cut spikes if I take off at 1500 rpm.

I vented the radiator out the top most recently. It is fully ducted. I found that it still slowly got hot though. I had air that was getting trapped on the outlet of the engine. I used an infrared thermometer and found the cooler spot on the hose. I have added a 3/16" air bleed from that spot to my swirl tank. The interior is so much cooler now. Even with a/c it still got warm on the driver side with speed. There was no stopping the hot air getting in around the peddles and steering hole in the frame with a front mount radiator. I hate the hood vent but it had to be done.

The timing map picture is what I pull. I have logged a lot and know what the factory timing is at WOT and now under boost at every rpm. If anyone has an OBDII car, the blue tooth plugs are $10 on ebay and the Torque Pro app is $5.