Author Topic: Wanted Rear window  (Read 1784 times)

Offline Yellowbelly

Wanted Rear window
« on: Thursday,January 17, 2019, 04:34:18 AM »
Looking for a glass rear window if anybody knows of one. Preferably in the UK. Can only seem to find perspex versions at the moment.

Offline Pfreen

Re: Wanted Rear window
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,January 17, 2019, 05:34:10 AM »
I have one in Florida you can have, but you will have to pay for the packaging (by someone other than me) and shipping.  I have this window (tinted) because it did not fit the cutout on my Europa.  It was too small.  I made a pattern and had a custom tinted one made at a custom auto glass company here in Florida.  It only cost $75 with free shipping.  https://www.vintageglass.com.  The tinting matched exactly and it fit the body perfectly. I would assume there is a similar company in the UK.

Offline Yellowbelly

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,January 17, 2019, 10:39:57 AM »
Thanks for the offer. I think the cost of packaging and shipping might be a bit prohibitive. If no joy I might have to look into getting a perspex one as a pattern to have a glass one cut.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #3 on: Thursday,January 17, 2019, 10:43:37 AM »
I can make up a template for you.

I have mine loose at the moment.

I am NR20 5SF, not far away, weekends only.

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,January 17, 2019, 12:50:19 PM »
I made a pattern by aping a piece of paper to the inside of the window opening.  Measure your gasket to determine the distance of the rubber between the two slits for the body (outer) and glass (outer).  Add about .050”.  Make or find “donut” shape with the id the diameter of a sharpie marker.  The radius of the od of the “donut” is equal to the rubber dimension plus the .050”.  Then just trace the opening onto the paper keeping the donut od touching the opening and using the sharpie marker to trace on the paper pattern.  When finshed, remove the pattern and cut outthe window pattern.. 

This is what I did for my odd openingsize, and the custom window fit perfectly.

Offline Yellowbelly

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,January 17, 2019, 11:59:13 PM »
Thanks for the help. 4129R i would appreciate a template if you have time to make one up. If not i will try Pfreen's suggestion and see how i get on.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #6 on: Friday,January 18, 2019, 02:03:23 AM »
Hi there,

Now this might seem a bit "doom & gloom" but honestly it's not intended as such and there's a healthy dose of guesswork behind the comment which could easily be wrong.

If you do get one made up, I'm guessing it will be in flat laminated glass ? (years ago I had some windows made up from flat glass and that was all they could use back then)   If so, I would make the window fractionally smaller than the template, maybe 2-3mm. 

The reason is that I've just put mine back in and it really is a struggle. I used nylon trim tools to lever it in place, loads of soap and even WD40 at one point but even so there was a lot of shoving on that glass.

If it had been laminated glass then I don't think that has the same robustness as toughened glass. It's only 4mm overall thickness so that's 2mm either side of the central film and I honestly think the pushing I had to do would have delaminated the edges of a 4mm laminate.  The depth of the rubber seal on the window side that I used was something like 5mm so it would stand a fraction smaller on the actual glass and hopefully make it easier to fit.

Brian

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #7 on: Friday,January 18, 2019, 04:02:00 AM »
The back glass is not laminated.  Only the wind screen.  They are tempered though.