Author Topic: SCAMMERS LURKING ABOUT  (Read 7164 times)

Offline BDA

Re: SCAMMERS LURKING ABOUT
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday,March 23, 2016, 01:51:58 PM »
I'll keep my eye out for that one. I hope he's caught and you get at least some of your money back! Good luck!

Offline 3929R

Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #32 on: Thursday,March 24, 2016, 09:58:40 AM »
Thanks very much for that. I hope if enough people complain, the law will apprehend him.

Alex in Norfolk.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #33 on: Friday,March 25, 2016, 06:17:55 AM »
Is there any way that those people who have been scammed can get together a hire a private detective to find this man who seems to be advertising stuff he does not own, then strings people along until outside the eBay complaint period?

That other man was conned out of $5,700. I was conned out of $11,000. There must be many others he has taken for a ride.

I have complained to the FBI and the motor trade regulator in Florida, but no-one seems interested in finding him or stopping him. 

Alex in Norfolk

Offline BDA

« Reply #34 on: Friday,March 25, 2016, 06:56:08 AM »
It would be nice if there were a forum where people could report their scams so they could gang up on the scammer to get their money back. Of course, that would be a HUGE forum.

I googled 'i've been scammed investigate' and got some hits that look worth looking into at least. Here's what I got:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ive+been+scammed&oq=ive+been+scammed&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.5400j1j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#newwindow=1&q=ive+been+scammed+investigate

Maybe there will be something there that will help.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #35 on: Friday,March 25, 2016, 10:58:35 AM »
http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/steve-cannon/FORT-LAUDERDALE-Florida-33334/steve-cannon-stevew-cannon-and-von-cannon-rolls-royce-parts-DO-NOT-SEND-MONEY-TO-THIS-BUS-610352#comment_3

It seems Steve Cannon was arrested and is now in prison.

I have contacted the Sherriff in Broward County to add my scam to the list.

It seems 37 banded together and got him.

As they said on Hill Street Blues. "Let's be careful out there". Be aware, there are scammers about, as I learned to my cost.

Alex in Norfolk

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #36 on: Friday,March 25, 2016, 11:20:40 PM »
After reading what you've been through I'd be delighted to hear that the law has caught up with the guy, but is that the current situation or is it previous form ? I also looked at that site but it seemed old stuff with most of the posting around 2010 and the latest April 2015. Reading through it does sound like the guy is a serial con artist and known to the police, which makes it even harder to understand why he's still around doing it today.

After seeing that I can't figure why the enforcement agencies didn't fall right on it after you contacted them, with the previous form it looks like a slam dunk case.

Brian

Offline BDA

« Reply #37 on: Saturday,March 26, 2016, 06:58:31 AM »
That is good news. I hope the sheriff will be able to help you get some restitution.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #38 on: Saturday,March 26, 2016, 08:00:14 AM »
But it seems this scammer was banged up in prison in 2010 for doing this, and is now out and doing exactly the same.

How eBay and Craig's list can accept his adverts, and how the local auto trading complaints don't know about him and his criminal record, I just don't understand.

Alex in Norfolk.

Offline BDA

« Reply #39 on: Saturday,March 26, 2016, 08:35:00 AM »
I didn't notice the dates of the posts on the Cannon guy. It's outrageous that ebay would knowingly allow this snake to peddle or buy anything on their platform.

Alex, did you contact ebay about the scam on you? What did they say? I was led to believe that they put a lot of effort in detecting and prosecuting scams.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #40 on: Saturday,March 26, 2016, 08:45:40 AM »
I think the problem Ebay and any other online selling place has is that it's an automated business so they have to use code to search and weed out scammers. They'll certainly pull any adverts when you complain about them but otherwise they don't have a realistic monitoring system in place. There have been a series of very, very, very cheap Elans on Ebay UK recently, the guys on Lotuselan.net forum complain and the ad gets pulled almost daily it would seem.

But for a determined scammer, it's easy enough to create a new online ID, new Ebay account and away they go. What Alex and no doubt other victims of this guy have been through is quite chilling and I'm really struggling to understand just why law enforcement aren't flattening the guy. There's past history, proof of correspondence, money transfer and nothing for car transport - slam dunk in anyone's book.

Brian

Offline 4129R

« Reply #41 on: Saturday,March 26, 2016, 09:17:44 AM »
I didn't notice the dates of the posts on the Cannon guy. It's outrageous that ebay would knowingly allow this snake to peddle or buy anything on their platform.

Alex, did you contact ebay about the scam on you? What did they say? I was led to believe that they put a lot of effort in detecting and prosecuting scams.

The problem was I only paid a $200 deposit on PayPal, and by the time he had made several excuses, over 3 months had elapsed, and after that period, PayPal and eBay just aren't interested.

I checked his eBay profile before sending the $10,800 balance by transfer and he had about 66 good reports for selling both cars and car parts.

Now the the law enforcement know him, as he has apparently a criminal record, they should be able to take my complain seriously and act accordingly.

Alex in Norfolk.