Lotus Europa Forums > Members Cars

New S1B owner

(1/9) > >>

314159td:
Just picked up this series 1 B, initially assuming it was a Series 2 for obvious (blinky) reasons. Originally titled in Texas as a 67 presumably for emissions and FMVSS seasons, went to New Mexico in the early 70s and last driven sometime in 78. Car #460553, and a dead ringer for a RHD to LHD conversion. We've got a poorly cut column hole, column controls on the wrong sides, wiper biased the wrong way, etc. Pinstriping is just stuck on, but I like the look. I don't think this is anything special from the factory as there's a fairly obvious seam in the front trunk from the later front end being put in.

Believe it or not, the front frame member seems to be fine. Absolutely has some cosmetic rust, but all of the typical spots near the top corners and joints are fine from a quick look with the phone camera and screwdriver prod. Original 1470 engine per the VIN plate, I purchased the car without the head installed but rebuilt. Original Solex has been replaced by a weber 28/36 DCD, which seems like it's a reasonable enough swap.

I'm curious how long these Renault engines can go without a rebuild, I figure with 5 main bearings 60k miles is a bit soon? The cylinders seem to still be in spec without ridges.

Currently, I've ripped out the original sound deadening and have discovered an unholy amount of oily mud, mostly on the passenger side. Seems like an oil change gone wrong, or someone decided to test if a fiberglass car would float like a boat. I'll need to spend another day cleaning it up with stronger degreaser, and I'm still researching the best way to sound deaden. Current plan is the standard butyl mats on the backsides of the seats and as deep as I can get into the side cavities, and then I was thinking of filling the empty space with rockwool sealed in plastic bags?

I have some specific parts questions/requests that I'll post later in the correct sub forums (flywheel cover, individual pan gaskets, front shocks) but I am most urgently trying to get ahold of formed side windows, either split as appropriate for a 1B, or the full single-piece. I'd like to get the whole car sealed up and take down the temporary carport it's currently under. I'm waiting for a reply from Banks Europa, but if anybody has a pair kicking around stateside I'd be happy to purchase and get them shipped to me in SoCal. 

Chuck Nukem:
Welcome! Congrats on the car! You are going to have fun with that one!

TurboFource:
 :Welcome:

BDA:
  :Welcome: 314159td!!

I assume you contacted Banks via email in which case I would advise you to phone them. If you’re trying to contact the parts side (Lotus Supplies), that is a hit or miss proposition in my experience. If you’re trying to contact Richard, a phone call is the only way I’ve ever been able to reach him.

I’m looking forward to seeing more pictures and learning about your progress!

SwiftDB4:
I used more modern insulation like this:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/the-14620?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAiAqNSsBhAvEiwAn_tmxZi21v2nk_9AbHGncB_84ceyBQBkBBl88XcILHyhEitLm88d3GR0BRoCwiwQAvD_BwE

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version