Lotus Europa Forums > Members Cars

The Zetec 'Ropacane

(1/123) > >>

Chuck Nukem:
Alright guys here it goes...My first Lotus...
My name is Charles...and I have a problem
I have never driven one of these.
In fact I had never even seen one of these in person until I drove 800 miles to pick this one up in Mississippi! My folks don't know I have it! I am keeping it at a friends house until I finish restoring my 1966 chevy pickup...

I have wanted a car like this for longer than I'd care to admit...and I finally got the guts to pull the trigger.

As for its condition...It has weathered its fair share of hurricanes and suffered even more neglect, but all in all it is a complete 1972 Europa Special, Big valve engine, and 5 speed tranny (minus the coveted JPS badge!)

I am going to swap a zetec in to this beast and my ambition is to have it running by the end of the year. (edit for 2016...HA HA HA HA. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nAZfGXkOb4) (edit for 2020...Ha hA ha AAhHha Haha H! A!)

(edit for 2019...My odyssey...I have been lost in a sea of projects for 6 years now....I just want to return home)

I'm glad to be here!

Chuck Nukem:
36,000 original miles!

First update.
I know I posted this in the other thread, but for the sake of continuity I will re-post it here!

I snagged a 56k mile non vct 2.0L zetec out of a ford contour for $300 bucks last weekend. The engine came with the wiring harness, cats, intake, etc...

Today I grabbed a M.T. ECU and ignition coil off ebay.

I am looking to grab the correct flywheel this weekend. I also have a lead on a Triumph Spitfire that someone is parting out locally. I may try to grab his front end to replace mine...Mine is more of an amorphous rust crystal than a font end.

EuropaTC:
A word of warning on the Spitfire parts...  not everything is usable.

Most of the wearing components - bearings, rod ends, etc will be usable as will the vertical uprights, hubs, brake calipers, rotors and steering arms.  But the service components are easily available and cheap, so s/h isn't usually worthwhile.  I'm not sure about the steering rack, the toe links (?) at the ends of the rack (inside the bellows) might be different lengths ? 

The wishbone arms are different and I think the lower ones are unique to the Europa. And they were the bits that rusted first on mine !

Brian

Bainford:
You're a brave man, Chuck. Your support group is standing by ;)

Chuck Nukem:
I will grab a keg for the support team  :beerchug:

No real updates this week...Been studying for finals. My M.T. ECU came in this week. I would really like to figure out a way to get this motor to run with some R1 throttle bodies (and velocity stacks  O:-)) If not I will fab up a plenum that utilizes the stock T.B. and MAF. The Europa might be changing locations in a month or so... Can't wait to get started on this thing!!!

If anyone out there has any experience running Motorcycle carbs/TBs, or any non stock intake on the stock ECU don't hesitate to share your wisdom!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version